City builder additions

Runeweaver
Ogre
Ogre

Re: City builder additions

Post by Runeweaver » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:56 pm

Really loving the window panes and the guild hall roof. Those are incredible. How about a Kremlin onion top?

moes1980
Goblin
Goblin

Post by moes1980 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:03 pm

Very cool additions! Now I am curios to see a domed observatory roof with an arcane looking telescope sticking out of it.

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:56 pm

Welcome to the Forums!

These additions are awesome! The bell tower, temple roof, and window inserts are of particular interest to me.
Thanks so much for sharing!

I am hoping to invest in a 3D printer one day... but it is down the list a ways... I think it is between kickstarters 6 and 7. ;)

tattooedtoad
Orc
Orc

Post by tattooedtoad » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:51 pm

I don't have a 3d printer but I will be marking plenty of custom stuff when mine arrives :D

tattooedtoad
Orc
Orc

Post by tattooedtoad » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:47 pm

I'm really digging the last pic is the roof round on top or square love the 4 pane Windows

ForestZ
Orc
Orc

Post by ForestZ » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:10 pm

Love those window panes! And that last roof is awesome! Full of character. I particularly like how you added the understructure, and not just plopped the (very cool) roof on top of it.

Just one more point in the "ask for a 3D printer for my birthday" tally. ;)

oddbender
Orc
Orc

Post by oddbender » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:52 pm

By the way, I've made a lot of roofs using the dungeon tiles for sizing. There a little off from the city builder size, but that's something I can work on. Most are unpainted, but that's fine with me, I have a place in my fantasy world known for it's painted towers, so bright colors work for that. Although I may try weathering them, if I can get a good way to do it.

Here's another one I like a lot. I think of it as a Temple or Guildhall roof:

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:50 pm

Don't worry, there are no actual moderators on this forum. We sort of police ourselves.

Great first post! I've been itching to get a 3D printer, and this kind of stuff just makes me want to even more. I like the windows and the bell tower a lot!
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:02 pm

LOVE the window inserts! I hope DF takes inspiration from this for KS4!
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

oddbender
Orc
Orc

Post by oddbender » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:22 pm

Well, I made them as three piece inserts, basically it's a window pane between two frames. The wall and therefore the windows are roughly 10mm thick. For a single large pane window, I put a 0.8mm pane between two 4.5mm frames, which centers the "glass." However, I prefer the four pane look. When I tried those same dimensions, the cross pieces looked too thick with a centered pane. So I wanted to move the pane closer to the outside. So for the four pane look, I have a 7mm thick frame that I insert on the inside, then from the outside I insert the "glass" pane, and finally I insert the 2mm outer frame with the cross pieces to create the appearance of four panes.

I'm pretty sure I can use this same technique to produce stained glass window, but the hard part will be using multiple colors of panes. I may need to glue those and make a single permanent insert.