Re: City Builder Street Test Paint Job

Post by Spiropolous the Minotaur » Wed May 17, 2017 3:38 pm

Looks great!

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Wed May 17, 2017 2:31 pm

I like clean streets. I can add gunk if the set calls for it - I can't ungunk a painted, dirty street.

Wish I could paint like this.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Wed May 17, 2017 1:19 pm

Kryzsko wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 3:41 am
I do appreciate all the feedback. I just started painting with Stefan's dungeon tile painting videos. Prior to that I had painted nothing. This is my first time painting brickwork so it is kind of a fun challenge. I learn so much with the increasing complexity with each set.
Yup, this was where I was at last year. No experience painting terrain, a bit of experience painting miniatures. Started with Stefan's KS1 painting videos and never looked back. No reference tiles for colour, just blasted away. Experimented with basecoating, washes, drybrushing, rewashing, mixing. I can't say that I can match the factory paint job, but it doesn't matter, because it's all *mine*. Same thing will be with KS4 and beyond.

I will continue to get KS3 things painted, because frankly it scares the crap out of me. But I don't see myself needing streets or sewers.

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Kryzsko » Wed May 17, 2017 3:41 am

bernyleung wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 2:30 am
Hey, I like it no matter how you paint it. What matters is that *you* like it.
Thanks, I think it is where I want it now. Looks good and I can easily reproduce the results. I was just having fun experimenting. I usually have to play around a bit to get the look I am going for. The nice thing is that people here give good constructive advice. I want a more traditional brick look but not too clean. It is finding that happy medium that is tricky. I do think they looked a little too clean at first and then I swung to the other extreme and needed to soften up the grungy look a bit. I was also playing with the use of Pan Pastels (a powder pigment paint). You have to experiment a bit. My frustration is less with painting and more with photography and getting the pictures to adequately show how the pieces look.

My poor wife, I change one small thing and ask her "How does it look now?" Then she says something like "It looked good before and it still looks good." Although she will tell me if she does not like something.

I do appreciate all the feedback. I just started painting with Stefan's dungeon tile painting videos. Prior to that I had painted nothing. This is my first time painting brickwork so it is kind of a fun challenge. I learn so much with the increasing complexity with each set.

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Wed May 17, 2017 2:30 am

Hey, I like it no matter how you paint it. What matters is that *you* like it.

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Kryzsko » Tue May 16, 2017 11:48 pm

The big difference is the mortar looks grayer in person and looks almost white in the pictures.

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Kryzsko » Tue May 16, 2017 11:46 pm

Here are a few better pictures using more daylight. Does not look 100% like it does in person but close (a little darker in person).
Attachments
Streets_test_06.JPG
Streets_test_06.JPG (128.71 KiB) Viewed 2478 times
Streets_test_05.JPG
Streets_test_05.JPG (130.02 KiB) Viewed 2478 times
streets_test_04.JPG
streets_test_04.JPG (117.12 KiB) Viewed 2478 times

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Kryzsko » Tue May 16, 2017 11:42 pm

pacarat wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 8:20 pm
A suggestion - thin your earthshade wash with some acrylic extender (Anita's craft paint brand or a propylene glycol blend).

This will allow most of the wash to flow down into the crevices.

My rule of thumb is thinner is better - you can always throw another wash or filter on after it dries and you see the result.
Good idea

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Tue May 16, 2017 8:20 pm

A suggestion - thin your earthshade wash with some acrylic extender (Anita's craft paint brand or a propylene glycol blend).

This will allow most of the wash to flow down into the crevices.

My rule of thumb is thinner is better - you can always throw another wash or filter on after it dries and you see the result.

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Kryzsko » Tue May 16, 2017 1:04 pm

Spiropolous the Minotaur wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 12:09 pm
Is it the lighting or are your buildings also very reddish?
It's the lighting. The building is not red in person. Must be a combination of the soft white lights and the cellphone camera. I have a hard time getting the pictures to look exactly like they look in person.

I need to try more neutral backdrop. That is our table cloth with plastic over the top so my wife does not kill me for mucking it up.