Magnetizing KS1

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Magnetizing KS1

Post by William » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:17 pm

Nice job marcoreds, I have one question.
I had been looking for that thin felt backing for a decade and stopped looking quite a few years ago. Everything I found was very thick felt and made things wobble a bit and also lifted the pieces up and out of alignment. I've wanted it for my own sculpts for 15+ years.
Where did you find the sheets of it that thin?
Could you post a store name or a link to the website? Please, please, please... :D
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:02 pm

Love it! Thank you!
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:43 pm

Nice job finishing it off with the velvet adhesive. Looks fantastic and so easy to do.

I know most people don't like the idea of drilling into their Dwarvenite, but it's really the best way to do it. Otherwise, it'd have to be adhered well on the one end, and between KS1, KS2 & KS3 there's a lot of variation in the depth of the bottom; I discuss and show pics of it here: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=8378&p=115690&hilit=magnet#p115690
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

marcoreds
Orc
Orc

Magnetizing KS1

Post by marcoreds » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:25 pm

Heya guys,

since there is some talk about this on the KS5 comments section, I thought I would give my experience with KS1 tiles magnetization. It is not hard, but it does involve some work.

As an introduction, I am pretty new to DF, I received my first 5-set a few days ago.
I am not new to gaming tiles, though, got quite a few by other producers. They are all resin pieces, offered by Italian artists.
Some of the first I bought were magnetized the same way I will show you here, and since then I magnetize every tile I get. I'm just used to that, it is really a great quality of life improvement to introduce the new rooms one at a time, rather than having it all out and covered with something.

So, let's start. To make the "holes", I use a Dremel-like tool, and this is the accessory that, to me, is the best for this:

Tool.jpg
Tool.jpg (55.44 KiB) Viewed 1164 times

Dwarvenite is quite different from resin, it is far softer and easier to indent, it produces a lot less dust (but please note, I strongly suggest to use a mask not to inhale the vapors, the substance will get quite hot, and fumes will come out), and differently from resin, it nearly "melts" with the attrition, so you will have to kind of carve out some of it, as it does not pulverize at all. The result is not a neat hole (you might get that with a column drill, that I do not have), but as you will see I will cover it, so it doesn't matter to me.

This is the kind of result I get:

Tile with hole.jpg
Tile with hole.jpg (74.3 KiB) Viewed 1164 times

And this is a few of them done, to show you:

Tiles with Hole.jpg
Tiles with Hole.jpg (89.24 KiB) Viewed 1164 times

Now, I will use a cyanoacrylate glue to put the magnet in. I use neodymium magnets, 10mmx2mm, so I do a hole like that in the bottom of the tiles. I put quite a bit of glue in the hole, then the magnet. I let it dry overnight, to have also the glue around the magnet solidify well (I put quite a lot of glue).

Gluing Magnet.jpg
Gluing Magnet.jpg (84.82 KiB) Viewed 1164 times

Please note that, in my opinion, to be able to stack the tiles upon one another when finished, it is better to put the magnets in all with the same polarity. The way I do this, I keep near a tile that I have already magnetized, I deposit a magnet on it, and it turns in the right direction, over the place where the other magnet is. I pick it up, and put the upper part inside the tile.

Checking Polarity.jpg
Checking Polarity.jpg (105.41 KiB) Viewed 1164 times

Here are the resulting tiles:

Magnets Glued.jpg
Magnets Glued.jpg (107.13 KiB) Viewed 1164 times

Now, I copy the tiles I bought, and add to the bottom a velvet adhesive, cut to size (4,4x4,4 cm, I stay low since I don't care it to be perfectly covered, just that it fits in even with careless cutting):

Adhesive Velvet.jpg
Adhesive Velvet.jpg (100.55 KiB) Viewed 1164 times

attaching velvet.jpg
attaching velvet.jpg (87.17 KiB) Viewed 1164 times

This is the result:

1 tile finished.jpg
1 tile finished.jpg (89.45 KiB) Viewed 1164 times

I do this for all the tiles:

tiles finished.jpg
tiles finished.jpg (83.1 KiB) Viewed 1164 times

Then I put them on steel tiles of various sizes. Here is the example with these tiles:

small room on steel plate.jpg
small room on steel plate.jpg (100.17 KiB) Viewed 1164 times

Let's pick it up:

picking it up.jpg
picking it up.jpg (97.98 KiB) Viewed 1164 times

and hold it upside-down:

do they hold.jpg
do they hold.jpg (100.89 KiB) Viewed 1164 times

And this is it :-)

I will go on with all the other tiles, then paint them.

I am very happy the new tiles will have pre-punched holes, this will save a lot of work!

I hope this has been useful even if just for curiosity's sake :-)

Have a nice day,

Marco