Old Cavern Set Paint Scheme

marcoreds
Orc
Orc

Re: Old Cavern Set Paint Scheme

Post by marcoreds » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:52 pm

Thank you very much guys, I really appreciate the help!

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:18 pm

jackattack wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:17 pm
Also...

If Oldent's painting solution is for white hydrostone, would white primer on dwarvenite help?

I know dwarvenite doesn't need primer for paint adhesion, but would it contribute to color matching?
I have not tried white primer. It in theory should help. I usually use black.I painted some of my caves with in a under dark style with blues and purples. I use more brown with Hirst arts floor tiles to contrast the walls. I am working on some mixed texture tiles to blend the Catacombs floors better with the old resin. I keep the resin at home and use the PVC at the game store.

Lighting stuck and took out my lap top. I had not moved the Tile WIP photos to photo bucket so they are gone. The suggestions in the link are all good. I have colors mixed at the paint store but note the green and yellow military colors
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:17 pm

Also...

If Oldent's painting solution is for white hydrostone, would white primer on dwarvenite help?

I know dwarvenite doesn't need primer for paint adhesion, but would it contribute to color matching?
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:02 pm

I found this thread. I hope it helps.

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=6367&p=79759&hilit ... sin#p79759
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:12 pm

The big issue will be texture and base coat.The floor texture of the new is different enough that mixing it with the resin caverns is a blessing and a curse. Because of the texture is not necessary to match the old precisely because it will be different even if you could match the exact color. A unifying highlight dry brush will likely do the trick.

I have tried to come up with a color match for my Hirst Arts tiles for years.The best was a product developed by a Hirst Arts enthusiast.Game Decor cavern set. I have not been able to get any more. The paint store mix is Glidden Alpine Trail,Glazed Ginger, and Brook green all in egg shell. This is a dark green black, a almost orange ginger color and a green white. It actually blends well.
The base color of the PVC is different than the primer on the resin it still will not be a perfect match over the dark gray. The Cavern Stone base coat was intended for white Hydrostone.

If you use the Dwarven Forge paints You may want to dry brush the resin floor with Stone edge
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

marcoreds
Orc
Orc

Old Cavern Set Paint Scheme

Post by marcoreds » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:11 am

Hello guys,

I have a question for you.
It makes sense that this has already been talked about somewhere, but I spent a lot of times looking for it in these forums, and for the life of me I wasn't able to find it.

I am rather new to DF, and I recently acquired some of the old resin Cavern Sets, and I love them.

I am now getting some of the gametiles dwarvenite cavern tiles, and I would really really like to paint them just as the old resin cavern tiles, to use them together.

Is there anywhere a painting pattern to paint the dwarvenite tiles as the old resin cavern tiles?

I thank you in advance anybody who can help me on this.

Have a nice day!