Post by Vegomatic » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:59 pm

Those are... wow.

iPaint
Orc
Orc

Updating the Resin Catacombs

Post by iPaint » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:44 pm

Hey all,

A while back I'd been bouncing around the idea of updating my catacombs sets to get a bit more pop out of them, and I finally got around to taking some pictures of my updated painted pieces next to some of the factory-painted pieces. I've painted a handful of tiles this way to get an idea of what the color and tone shifts will look like en masse, and I'm pretty happy with the results.

I've painted the wood on the loculi, added a coat of ivory to the bones (and basecoated/highlighted all the embedded skulls), and added some earth tones to bring out the dirt on the floor. Overall, I think it makes the whole scene a bit more visually interesting, and really makes it feel like the catacombs are underground. I may even add in some pigments here and there in corners and on the floor for that extra bit of realism.

Some more pics showing off the differences.

There's a lot of embedded skulls in the backs of the wall pieces that are lost until picked out.

Now I just need to slot this project in with all the rest of the stuff I've got going...

~iPaint