Fixing delaminated (?) resin water tiles

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Fixing delaminated (?) resin water tiles

Post by pacarat » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:09 pm

I have a couple that have begun separating - I was able to partially mitigate the frosting by applying some green ink along the separated edge (with a thin brush). Capillary action and gravity caused it to flow in towards center, removing the frosty look. Didn't quite get all the nooks, but got enough. Mine are nowhere near as bad as the one above.

I have been tempted to dunk the separated corner into a container of ink, but that would be risky and expensive... and potentially irreversible...

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Fixing delaminated (?) resin water tiles

Post by AnimeSensei » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:24 pm

Yes, that's delamination. :(

I have had zero success in fixing it. The trick would be injecting new, clear resin evenly in the very thin crack without popping the tile apart further. You'll likely also notice that the crack between the layers is imperceptibly thin. It's almost like a windshield crack.

The only thing I've been able to think of is somehow fully separating the top layer without damaging the bottom paint (no idea how) and then re-pouring clear resin.
106 Resin and 202 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

astolat
Orc
Orc

Fixing delaminated (?) resin water tiles

Post by astolat » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:43 am

I apologize in advance for this very upsetting picture:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z6r6d2fowpsw4 ... 6.jpg?dl=0

I got this in a partially damaged set off ebay and have been considering how to fix it, but before I start throwing random things at it, I thought I would see if any of you have tried fixing these before, and if so what you've done and what has worked/not worked/gone down in flaming disaster. Any advice? *Is* this called delaminating or is there another word for it? It's definitely caused by a separation between the two layers of the tile.

On a side note, you know, having now got my hands on some of these resin water tiles, I actually understand much better why people at DF would NOT be super interested in the dwarvenite tiles, as artists. The multilayered resin (which apparently factories won't make for them, possibly because this is what happens to it) is just so spectacularly beautiful, it must feel like going ten steps back. I might try making overlayers for terrain trays -- a couple thin sheets of transparencies painted with translucent colors layered on top of a water tray might create a really cool effect that might approximate the resin tiles better.