A Tale of Two Themes

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: A Tale of Two Themes

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:01 am

Wow we like both those - fabulous job John D

Looking forward to seeing more pictures :)
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:28 pm

King Crimson and Miles. Damn, we're all a bunch of old f's, aren't we. ;) :lol:
FARTS people, farts... ;)

EDIT - Nice painting JohnD. I actually think I prefer the 'blood' version. It's very different, hope you post more when finished with the dry brushing. Thanks for posting, we always love pictures. ;)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

John D
Goblin
Goblin

Post by John D » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:06 pm

Thank you, LordDust.
The Green Set has a lot more layers, and the scheme developed out of some curious experimentation (I've never had to balance overpowering Greens with Earth tones like that before - that was new).
The Black/Red set is just out of the testing stage (and missing a final drybrush). I imagine the Underdark theme will develop a bit more when I have the Caverns Deep pieces in front of me.
Ultimately, I think of the Green set as Miles Davis fusion, and the Dark set as ...King Crimson.

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:59 pm

Nice work, always a treat to see what people do with creative endeavors. I also particularly like the green themed set. Not to knock your Underdark theme, I just particularly like the other.

John D
Goblin
Goblin

Post by John D » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:42 pm

Thanks all, for the comments.
(Apologies for the dim pictures - That room needs a second standing lamp if I'm going to take pictures in there)

I have several shots of the full green-themed set which I'll write up under Cool Sets a bit later today.

I don't take a lot of pictures from the worktable itself, since it fills up quickly with DF pieces, paint, brushes, coffee, and the remains of half-finished minis. Also, the battery in the camera will only hold it's charge for about an hour, so I have to plan in advance if I want to use it. I should at least, try to take some pics in-between the painting phases (this might actually make me wait until they dry!), as a written description would probably just be confusing. I'm just beginning work on Erinthor Mountains, perhaps that would be a good contender for a painting walkthru. I'll see if I can focus on that.

I will say, that DFs sculpts can convey a number of different atmospheres, impressions, and associations depending on what you choose to coax out of them. It's an Adventure for the Painter.

astolat
Orc
Orc

Post by astolat » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:11 am

Oh, I really like the green ones too. Any notes on the process? Your idea of using the terrain to signal the 'level' is fun. :D

unclebilly
Ogre
Ogre

Post by unclebilly » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:41 am

I like the way the green ones came out. Gives it a upper level mold, vines and weeds look to it.

GrumpyOne
Orc
Orc

Post by GrumpyOne » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:07 am

Wicked! I like that your players will automatically be more apprehensive when they see the Underdark-themed tiles.
"Initial success or total failure"

John D
Goblin
Goblin

A Tale of Two Themes

Post by John D » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:35 am

This is ~150 pieces of unpainted KS2 Caverns.
Mostly B&B, with some floor packs, elevation packs, and chasms. In the top right are 50~60 Water Tiles.
TT 01.jpg
TT 01.jpg (69.9 KiB) Viewed 564 times
The above is what I'll add to my KSVI Caverns (~300 piece cherry-picked underdark, low on stalagmites and mushrooms, but loaded with curves, passages,and elevations).

I plan to paint all of this in my own evil Underdark Theme (cue Thunder) !!
TT 02.jpg
TT 02.jpg (74.42 KiB) Viewed 564 times
...it's basically Blood and Spiderwebs, all the way.
These pieces stop just short of the last step - a light white drybrush at the edges to suggest cobwebs (the occasional heavy handed 'nest' works too). I decided to hold off on 'webbing' these pieces so that I can better reference the Under scheme later. It's hard to see here, but the floors have some weird puce and yellowish stains here and there. At the top you can see my plan for 'Rivers of Blood', which needs some work, but will eventually help with floor coverage and look really nasty. I'll also add some homemade spiderweb terrain trays for negative space and elevations, but that's a whole 'nother post.

This second theme is from my other set of KS2 Caverns which just received a repaint (300 pieces). What I was shooting for was a Lost Worlds/Indiana Jones/Tomb Raider adventure set, and wound up with Jungle/Swamp.
TT 03.jpg
TT 03.jpg (85.33 KiB) Viewed 564 times
Here's the backs -
TT 04.jpg
TT 04.jpg (76.76 KiB) Viewed 564 times

Aside from specific locations (Chult, for example), my thinking about using the schemes is this: the 'Adventure' set is for Early level stories, and the 'Underdark' set is for Mid to High level encounters. The types of enemies you might confront would follow along those lines as well; goblins, trolls, ogres will really shine in the Jungle theme, while Drow, Demons, or Gibbering-anything would feel right at home in the darkest (and goriest) cave they can find. It's better if it smells like evil. The players should instantly be on their toes if they see Underdark pieces on the board, and I'm very satisfied with how disgusting this paint scheme is!

TT 05.jpg
TT 05.jpg (104.48 KiB) Viewed 564 times
Some minis I'll be using on these sets. Arcworlde goblins (basecoat only), and in back, a pair of Hell Dorado Demons, and some Raging Heroes, which I use as Drow.