Please make next KS shipping/handling more EU friendly

marcoreds
Orc
Orc

Re: Please make next KS shipping/handling more EU friendly

Post by marcoreds » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:21 am

@JenneyOC: that's actually the point. Shipping the container China->US should cost about as much as shipping it China->EU, so then it makes sense to consider the costs of shipping internally. As said, if things go China->US->EU of course shipping if much much more expensive, period.

This said: the shipping on this kickstarter is A LOT more reasonable than previous ones.
First, import taxes are included for EU. This is important. And makes me think the China->EU shipping is being applied.
The shipping costs, are also more reasonable.
We go from about 40% extra of the pledge cost for small pledges, to about 30% extra for bigger ones.
It is still expensive, like 4-5x US shipping, but more manageable rather than the 6-7x of previous KS.

Considering taxes and shipping rates, we're looking at around 35-40% extra rather than the usual 80%.

------------------------------------

Now, this kickstarter is rather different from previous ones, it is very specific in setting, with stretch goals that are more aesthetic improvements rather than improved value.

It is indeed totally reasonable, the pieces are much heavier and the raw material used to make them is, piece by piece, a lot more.

But it is a fact that to get something playable you have to invest a lot more.

For about the price for which in KS 1 you could get 10 sets, with nearly double that in SG, which would practically allow you to fill out an enormous dungeon, here you get the bare minimum citadel.

Again, I'm not saying this is wrong, production costs are a lot higher here, between the size of pieces, magnets imbed everywhere, and all.
It just needs considering what use you'd get of these (wonderful and extraordinary) pieces. In our campaign, for example, castles do not exist...

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:10 am

I think we've established that EU items go straight to EU from China.

The question now is, what makes intr-continental shipping so expensive in Europe? Are the items/container being shipped somewhere before individual items are shipped to final recipients?

And is it actually cheaper to ship from the US to Europe than from Europe to Europe at the same tracking/insured level DF prefers to use? Or is this a comparison of very different levels of shipping performance/reliability/assurance?
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

JenneyOC
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by JenneyOC » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:52 am

NOT AN OFFICIAL ANSWER: Just Jenney speculating:

Are we also taking into account that Amazon owns its own warehouses in the EU. that 1x shipping in the EU may not account for an item coming from the US to the EU and then across the EU. It might only be from location X in the EU to location Y in the EU.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:00 pm

It looks like this KS has different shipping for different countries. Not sure who that will help or hurt in the EU.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

marcoreds
Orc
Orc

Post by marcoreds » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:12 am

Harneloot wrote:
marcoreds wrote: Amazon charges 8 dollars for shipping from docks to destination in US, 16 in EU. That is, EU = double US. Since US shipping is included in the pledge, the math I deduce is that 1x cost of US shipping is extra, and should be paid as additional shipping for EU. I do not believe that current delivery cost for EU deliveries in the kickstarter are anywhere close to that figure.
So, assuming your math is correct and there aren't several extra costs you (or any of us) are unaware of, what exactly are you saying/implying here :?:
I'm just saying that, if all of this is true (which I can't be sure of) having EU pledges sent directly to EU and shipped to EU from EU, through Amazon or something else, would result in a very much lowered shipping cost to EU, confronted to having all pledges sent China->US and then US->EU.
That is, the additional cost for shipping to EU would come out only as 1x the US shipping cost, which is included in the KS price, and so I expect to be much lower than current EU shipping cost.
It's just a possibility I am trying to query about.

MBCE
Orc
Orc

Post by MBCE » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:16 am

AnimeSensei wrote: Related note: Why do add-ons cost so much to add to a pledge in regards to shipping? Some are super light. :(
The only reason I can think of is they are unsure of the weight of the items when they set up the kickstarter. Being one of the many ROW backers, I've tried a lot of different ways to save on shipping.

1)Having my items first shipped to my sister in the States and having her send it to me tends to be cheaper than having the order shipped directly through the kickstarter. The drawback is the added wait for delivery.

2)For the CBS items, a friend and I combined a retail order that saw a lot less on shipping cost for us. At the moment, we are contemplating combining a retail order for KSIV. The drawback is we have to wait until the items hit retail and don't know the contents and pricing of the offered items. Also, this limits what the kickstarter could expect from our pledges.

3)We've talked about combining an order directly to our location which would work, but overall, it doesn't save us much money during the kickstarter as the shipping pricing is already calculated in every add-on. We did combine a US order for KSII but see point one for the drawbacks to that option.

Regardless of how the kickstarter is set up, the ROW will always get hit by high shipping fees. It's a fact of life.

arsthein
Ogre
Ogre

Post by arsthein » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:17 am

jackattack wrote:I hope this is more constructive.
Yes it is my friend, and I couldn't agree more with Kitenerd.

Thank you all pals, and again, I get you, I feel sometimes that way too (mostly when someone just whines and complains in a little-too-offensive and accuser tone towards DF with no rhyme and reason, yep, that happens).

I would vote for, even with those, taking a deep breath and give them their fair shake on the matter so we keep being known as a reasonable and intelligent community around DF (I'll be so bold here as to consider myself part of, despite of my long absences),

I've seen us being accused of fanboyism and DF of worse, and I freakin' hate it, because I know it's all wrong. I know you for long, and I understand from where this rare cases come, and it's just that we are human beings and (with good reasons) may get tired of a subject matter and the way some people attacks DF. I give you that perhaps I am a little too much concern about giving those types of comments any gas to burn.

But this time, this forum topic and the people discussing the matter, at the moment, mostly sound very civilized to me and think deserves consideration.

Well, here I am going on and on and on... =S sorry about that!

Less than 4 hours to KS IV!!! Greetings!

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:53 pm

marcoreds wrote: Amazon charges 8 dollars for shipping from docks to destination in US, 16 in EU. That is, EU = double US. Since US shipping is included in the pledge, the math I deduce is that 1x cost of US shipping is extra, and should be paid as additional shipping for EU. I do not believe that current delivery cost for EU deliveries in the kickstarter are anywhere close to that figure.
So, assuming your math is correct and there aren't several extra costs you (or any of us) are unaware of, what exactly are you saying/implying here :?:

marcoreds
Orc
Orc

Post by marcoreds » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:04 pm

Hello again, and thank you for bearing with me.

I do not like posting other kickstarters here, so won't make examples of others. I can send a PM if asked.

Of course none of those have pledges so heavy as these. I do understand that this is a heavy package to send. Its a heavy package to send, though, both in EU and the US, and since US shipping is included, it can't be an unreasonable cost. As I see it, the weight of the product only matters if the following is true: in US, there are special shipping prices for very heavy items, that are just not there in EU, so shipping from Germany to France a heavy package costs 4-5 times as shipping the same item from New York to Los Angeles. If this is true, then I agree that nothing can be done.

I also read the link posted by johnmilton. In the example done there (again, the example is for a boardgame, so the weight consideration I make right above might invalidate the rest of this paragraph), Amazon charges 8 dollars for shipping from docks to destination in US, 16 in EU. That is, EU = double US. Since US shipping is included in the pledge, the math I deduce is that 1x cost of US shipping is extra, and should be paid as additional shipping for EU. I do not believe that current delivery cost for EU deliveries in the kickstarter are anywhere close to that figure.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:29 pm

As someone that sells on ebay, I know in a lesser extent that sometimes you have to overcharge on shipping in unknown circumstances and you win some and you lose some. It essentially evens out. I don't think DF is trying to scam, I just think there is likely a better solution.

Related note: Why do add-ons cost so much to add to a pledge in regards to shipping? Some are super light. :(
102 Resin and 217 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Return to “Kickstarter 4 - Castles”