Please make next KS shipping/handling more EU friendly

arsthein
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Please make next KS shipping/handling more EU friendly

Post by arsthein » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:34 am

That's curious, I don't have any idea that it works that way, I asumed that if, as your example, DF, makes eeexaaactly the money to be funded, and not a penny more, that, the pieces announced in the base kickstarter would be done.

Greetings!

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:29 am

Regarding #2 above. Yes and no really. There is a certain minimum DF MUST hit to make the Ks work, and all the "stretch" goals up to that point are really already going to happen, or nothing happens, so they are basically part of the base, though not presented as such.

Later stretch goals are truly something extra, that come from savings due to economies of scale and such.

Of course only DF knows where the line is, and for backers it may not be important or apparent where the line is.

What I mean by the minimum to really do the KS is probably a lot higher than the "funded" level. If I remember last time, the "funded" level was 200,000 or so. However, I am sure DF would have had to cancel the Ks entirely if funding had only been, say 250,000. Making the expensive molds, doing Stefan's trip to China, the back and forth of prototypes, plus production, the shipping and more just would not work out for that kind of money.

I have seen other funded Kickstarters fold for just the same reason.

I am sure KSIV will fund, will hit the level were DF can do the project and go far beyond that.

I'm looking forward to enjoying the ride.

Note: I hsve never run a KS, this is just my analysis of what I think happens.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

arsthein
Ogre
Ogre

Post by arsthein » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:34 am

jackattack wrote:2. You get that stretch goals are arbitrary and artificial milestones used to increase pledges based on the illusion of free merchandise, right? Those items could just as easily be left out or included in the pledge levels, and the funding goals adjusted accordingly.
I don't think so. More funding means more molds for dwarvenite can be build, so, more different add ons can be created.

arsthein
Ogre
Ogre

Post by arsthein » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:32 am

jonmilton wrote:
dice4hire wrote:I cannot imagine two Ks would wok well.

BTW, has it been confirmed that the EU stuff was shipped China --> USA --> Europe?
Per this post, the EU stuff went from China to Germany.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dw ... ts/1469935
Sorry comrade, read it 3 times and can't find where it says specifically that it parts from China.

The Book came from US, that's stated all right. But it says the EU backers stuff is pre-packed and will arrive to Germany... but doesn't say from where... am I misreading something or just plain reading asleep?

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:42 pm

I agree with #3. I think DF is doing all that can be done about the shipping to the EU, short of eating all the costs themselves and they cannot do that.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:45 pm

1. If there isn't enough demand in Europe to fund a single container at KS level discount...

2. You get that stretch goals are arbitrary and artificial milestones used to increase pledges based on the illusion of free merchandise, right? Those items could just as easily be left out or included in the pledge levels, and the funding goals adjusted accordingly.

3. If containers are already being shipped direct to Europe, then what are we talking about? That is the only cost left that DF can actually do anything about.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

jonmilton
Orc
Orc

Post by jonmilton » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:29 pm

dice4hire wrote:I cannot imagine two Ks would wok well.

BTW, has it been confirmed that the EU stuff was shipped China --> USA --> Europe?
Per this post, the EU stuff went from China to Germany.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dw ... ts/1469935

jonmilton
Orc
Orc

Post by jonmilton » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:54 pm

Here is an incredibly comprehensive guide to the issues related to shipping internationally for a Kickstarter project. http://stonemaiergames.com/how-to-provi ... ive-guide/

They detail the pricing by region for using Amazon fulfillment services, which provides a consistent perspective. About midway down you will find this table which is the shipping costs for a 4 pound box from the Amazon warehouse to the end customer:

United States: $8
Canada: $9
European Union (Western Europe): $16
European Union (Central Europe): $34
Germany (if shipping from Amazon.de): $6
United Kingdom (if shipping from Amazon.co.uk): $8

Even using assorted hubs, shipping is just Europe is 2-4 times more expensive. DF has to charge you more shipping because they have to pay more shipping. They could remove the "included shipping" part of the prices and then just charge everyone actual costs, but the end result would be the same price and less money would go towards unlocking stretch goals.

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:39 pm

I'm pretty sure I recall some ROW shipments went direct from China, but I don't recall exactly which ones. About the only thing I can think of that would be feasible based on what I know (incomplete picture) would be if DF could find a quality business that moonlights as a carrier (which pretty much requires someone in the know vouching for them) that DF could piggyback their shipments through at a reduced rate since said carrier does high volume and already has continuous shipping with space they can sell off to subsidize their own shipments. I would be very loath to do so in their shoes though unless I could find someone with glowing recommendations from experienced international logistics personnel.

arsthein
Ogre
Ogre

Post by arsthein » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:12 pm

I'm not really sure... I thought so, but I've been reviewing my notification emails and there's no mention in what I've found so far. Can anyone confirm?