Please make next KS shipping/handling more EU friendly

Laurent T
Kobold
Kobold

Re: Please make next KS shipping/handling more EU friendly

Post by Laurent T » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:52 pm

KS3 (and previous ones I think) will be shipped from Germany after a container arrives (should have arrived by now).
No VAT or import duties: swallowed by DF. They just never commit to it officially. Not sure exactly why, beyond being very cautious.

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Post by JenneyOC » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:07 am

yes but if you purchase the $1 charger from china with free shipping it might show up in 1-2 months if you are lucky... with ZERO tracking to know what is going on. that would be a disaster to everyone who is screaming about delays currently. Add on 2 more months for shipping.

jonmilton
Orc
Orc

Post by jonmilton » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:03 pm

dice4hire wrote: Didn't they do exactly that this time? I know that is what they did for Japan and Australia and New Zealand. I am quite sure the EU product never touched American shores.
Not exactly. What I am talking about specifically is China Post, which is subsidized by the Chinese government and kept cheap by the UN postal agreements. That's why you can buy a phone charger on Ebay for $1 including the shipping from China, when you couldn't even mail that to the next house over for $1 in country.

What DF did was package and label all the boxes in China using preprinted carrier labels, then ship them all in a container to Europe (or wherever) where the carrier handles the last leg. Kind of like a freight forwarding setup. They are paying the carrier rates (which are not the same as they were when the KS ended) not the subsidized China Post rates.

I'm not sure what the UPS rates are from Germany to the rest of Europe, but it looked to be substantially higher than what they are in the US.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:57 pm

I think Thod did something different during the August preorder but I was not following it at the time, but maybe the preorders had shipping calculated separately.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:55 pm

Many kickstarters now choose to do shipping after the KS is over and product weights are known. I know CMON does it.

It's a pain and a surprise to those that choose not to read or pay attention, but it is a solution.

I also wonder why not just have a container go to Europe and have Thod work to find a distributor to get everything sent out?

I also think the option for letting people order during the last days of the KS from Thod directly is a great idea. Very outside the box.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:29 pm

The shipping costs are really driving me to consider getting the stretch goal stuff in the Ks and add-ons later in retail. I could have saved a bunch doing so this time. Maybe good for DF, I am not sure, but bad for the KS stretch goals for sure.

Himajin
Orc
Orc

Post by Himajin » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:27 pm

While I've questioned the shipping costs myself before, being so close to the factory here in Japan, I've resigned myself to the fact that DF needs a buffer to make sure they don't lose money.

I still wish there were a way to pay actual shipping costs after they're known, or to get discounted shipping when you buy multiple add-ons like KS1, as right now it seems to penalize people who buy more (my shipping costs alone were over $1,200 for KS3, for what turned out to be just 3 packages...)

Audles
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Audles » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:52 pm

I have a lot of empathy for EU and RoW buyers. It stinks to pay more! But at the same time, it's the same dilemma I have while looking at TableTop World and other EU items. I think DF has answered this question as best as they are able.

Hold onto your pants for KS4 - International Shipping from the US just went up again by a lot.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:41 pm

jonmilton wrote:As I mentioned previously the ONLY way to get shipping to Europe down is to ship directly from China, which means that DF has to give up customer service and quality control to an outside party. As DF is the gold standard in terrain I agree with their decision to keep that all in-house.
Didn't they do exactly that this time? I know that is what they did for Japan and Australia and New Zealand. I am quite sure the EU product never touched American shores.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:52 pm

jonmilton wrote:
Gramlot wrote: I can not agree with what you say Stephan because I do not understand it. Containers leave China to the US and to Germany (for Europe) but the shipping costs are free for the USA and are incredibly high for Germany. For example, I pledge to KSI and KSII. For 3 sets, the shipping costs for the US were offered, included in the pledge (value $ 35). For Europe, shipping costs were $ 105, plus taxes (21% for me). So I paid (285 $ + 105 $) * 1.21 = 471.9 $. For 3 sets painted in Europe, I could have 5 sets painted in the USA ... Exchange rates have limited the impact of shipping costs. But this is no longer the case today.
What you are missing is that the shipping costs to the US are not free, but are built into the price. For an entirely made up example: say a set is listed on the kickstarter as a $25 add-on with $15 extra shipping overseas. So it costs international buyers $40 and US buyers $25, and you feel like you are paying almost twice as much for the same thing. But in reality that $25 price is made up of $14 production and transit to US costs, $8 of US shipping, $2 of KS fees, and a measly $1 profit. International shipping costs nominally 4x US shipping, or $32 so DF is actually losing $9 on that sale. At 3x shipping costs (which would be a steal) they are still losing $1.

As I mentioned previously the ONLY way to get shipping to Europe down is to ship directly from China, which means that DF has to give up customer service and quality control to an outside party. As DF is the gold standard in terrain I agree with their decision to keep that all in-house.
+1, good explanation.

(Edit: liked the explanation of how shipping costs work... I have no idea what the details of shipping logistics are for DF - I just make stuff :-) )
Last edited by jchunick on Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.