Can we please get organizized?

Jonathan
Orc
Orc

Re: Can we please get organizized?

Post by Jonathan » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:18 pm

GriffinTamer wrote:+1 on Kitenerd's idea of a Painting Forum. Lots of folks like to post pics of their paint jobs (usually on Dwarvenite) and there are about six places these can (and do) end up, each somewhat justified. Makes it hard to know where to put the next one, and harder still to find a given thread you remember seeing a year ago...
Agreed. It's hard to look for advice and inspiration when it's everywhere, and a dedicated subforum would be very useful.

Audles
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Audles » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:05 pm

ObLaDi wrote:Hi, folks, I hear your pain! I will see if we can do something about this, perhaps after we have completed the upcoming Kickstarter. I have made notes about the suggestions and will pose these to those higher up when the time comes.

How would you see us communicating that we have reassigned posts?
I don't have any specific suggestions, because I have a poor memory. BUT I really think the way the Reaper Forums manage everything is brilliant.

forum.reapermini.com

ObLaDi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ObLaDi » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:30 pm

Hi, folks, I hear your pain! I will see if we can do something about this, perhaps after we have completed the upcoming Kickstarter. I have made notes about the suggestions and will pose these to those higher up when the time comes.

How would you see us communicating that we have reassigned posts?

GriffinTamer
Orc
Orc

Post by GriffinTamer » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:09 pm

+1 on Kitenerd's idea of a Painting Forum. Lots of folks like to post pics of their paint jobs (usually on Dwarvenite) and there are about six places these can (and do) end up, each somewhat justified. Makes it hard to know where to put the next one, and harder still to find a given thread you remember seeing a year ago...

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:58 pm

I use unread posts and tend to just reply to the conversation without checking the topic or if it is in the appropriate place. I agree that we could all do a better job of self policing - not sure that moderation is needed if we all just pay attention.

Simple things that DF could Do to help:
Kickstarters Forum - down with gaming talk and non gaming talk - just a thread for ALLL the various KS's we share in one place

Painting Forum - There is a TON of amazing info and advice on painting scattered throughout these forums - having it in one place would help people trying to figure out "how do i match Chamber of Sorrows?" or "What is a good primer for resin?" - these questions get asked often and they have been answered (very well) more than once - having them in one place would make them a great resource - put a stickie at the top with links to painting videos and tutorials

i am sure there are others, but those two would help a LOT!

I pledge to make an effort to not get of topic (hey look a squirrel!) and to check where i am posting
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Magniopi
Orc
Orc

Post by Magniopi » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:39 pm

Mydienon wrote: What I do now is click "Quick Links" and then "Unread Posts". That allows me to see every thread in every forum and subforum where posts exists that I haven't read.

But that exaggerates the problem, because now, when someone posts something in any thread anywhere, and I have a somewhat relevant response to that post, I respond. And I usually respond without confirming whether or not the person I'm responding to has posted in the wrong thread, the wrong subforum, or the wrong forum.
I also do this, and for exactly the reasons Law described. Now I never have any idea which thread anything is in, but I least I don't miss things I want to see.

Audles
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Audles » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:39 pm

It's a noble thought! But I think DF doesn't have the manpower to do this and I'm not sure self-policing is ultimately any better. For the most part, I just respond to threads. Though I do admit I don't post if the original topic has gone off the rails.

Anyway, without dedicated mods, and probably a forum re-design, this will probably always feel like the wild west. Which is okay! I kind of like it. But I'd find it frustrating to navigate without the QuickTools.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:11 pm

I do consider it a bit of a mess. I'd like to see it cleaned up and loosely moderated, but that's definitely a decision to be made way above me.

I'll likely post this topic to the super-secret part of the forum that's waaaay more organized and on topic than the public part (ok, maybe only a bit more)... ;-)
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

Mydienon
Orc
Orc

Post by Mydienon » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:39 am

But why is this thread in the KS4 forum? Wouldn't it be better in the New Website Feedback forum, or maybe even the Code of Conduct forum?

(just teasing a bit)

Seriously though, I used to go to each forum individually to look for new topics, and found it bizarre and bewildering trying to figure out what and where to find information. I mean, we have a "Feedback on Latest Sets" subforum, a "How Do I Use This Stuff?" subforum, an "Ask Dwarven Forge" subforum, an "Ask Dwarven Forge Europe" subforum, a "Kickstarter Game Tiles Feedback" subforum, a "Questions?" subforum (within the "Kickstarter Game Tiles Project" forum), a "Kickstarter Updates" subforum, and now a "Kickstarter 4" forum with a separate "Official News" subforum.

If I were a new forum member, and wanted information about new Dwarven Forge products, where would I post?

Instead, of course, I would use "search" and try to find wherever people were most recently talking about whatever I wanted to know. And I would find that there are far more subforums and threads discussing relevant topics than where I would expect to find them. And I would discover, too, that different and sometimes inconsistent information appears in these different threads.

What I do now is click "Quick Links" and then "Unread Posts". That allows me to see every thread in every forum and subforum where posts exists that I haven't read.

Which is cool.

But that exaggerates the problem, because now, when someone posts something in any thread anywhere, and I have a somewhat relevant response to that post, I respond. And I usually respond without confirming whether or not the person I'm responding to has posted in the wrong thread, the wrong subforum, or the wrong forum.

I currently check the forums very often (many times per day) as I want to keep up with what's going on with KSIV, and continue reading or participating in the many KSIII feedback threads. However, I don't really have time to police the threads, and if others are using the forums in the same way as me (looking only at Unread Posts and responding as needed) then I don't see an easy way to control how the community uses the forum.

Since the forum hierarchy is difficult to understand, and doesn't clearly identify where a new (or old) forum member should post or respond to specific topics, asking us to be more mindful of staying on topic and posting in the correct location doesn't help much. While I agree that the "COOL PHOTOS OF DF SETS!" subforum (oddly, only one of the two subforums labeled with all capital letters) should contain cool photos, and that can be encouraged by the forum members, I think the larger question of organization (or organizization) can only be addressed by Dwarven Forge, if they consider it a problem.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:01 am

Law, I read every one of your post.I have not found an obnoxious one yet.

When I only have a few moments to check in, it is frustrating to wade through off topic post.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!