A - THE KS-IV PATROL HQ

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

KS-IV PATROL- Repost from elsewhere

Post by GODofwar » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:11 am

Spiropolous the Minotaur wrote:hold tight folks...we hear ya and will see what we can do to fix it...
Oh ye Forum Trogs, whilst parsing and replying on the KS COmments, do not fail to note WRT this problem that it took less than 24 hours for Himself to come on board and address this issue.

KSIV: Very big project and an international one - not only does DwF manufacture in China, and believe me that can be a huge challenge, but they offshore a lot of their work. No doubt thus depriving American workers of jobs, oh lord please don't let Trump or Bernie get onto this as a campaign issue, yes I'm talking to you Josh...and whoever the master carver in France is (can't recall)!

Ahem.

Poking aside, managing all this is tough even for a big company. My wife is nearing retirement, but she has been a director level engineer at a Fortune 50 company, and their international work is tremendously challenging - even with HUGE staffs. Stefan, Jay & Co do this with a tiny crew of very dedicated folks. Nate, Suzy, Jenny, Johanna - I've worked with all these folks. Great people I would be glad to have on any team I ran - and I've done a few 'international projects' myself, as staff to general officers.

Are small things - even small things that may matter a lot, like the size diffs - going to slip through? Inevitably. If most of it gets fixed that's ok. And noticing fast tells us here that it will get fixed.

So go forth, ye Trogs, and make darn sure the KS Comments know the Boss is on the job, and what that means for KS in general. Some unhappiness out there. Shed some sunshine as well.

Thanks, Stefan.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est
WeaselWarGod

Jonathan
Orc
Orc

Re: A - THE KS-IV PATROL HQ

Post by Jonathan » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:18 pm

jchunick wrote:I'm hoping that as the Kickstarter goes along we might have the opportunity to post some of the drawings that sketches we did to show the process in developing the final designs.
That would be pretty sweet. It's always a treat to see the intermediary results of creative minds at work.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:03 pm

I'm glad that all that hard work shows through. I'm especially proud of the collaborative nature of this one. I had much more involvement in this KS in developing the pieces. Nate, though, is a bloody genius! Much of the initial designs came from him and Stefan.

Those walls were one of the toughest nuts to crack!... Stefan envisioned being able to get access to the inside of the castle wall. That meant removing the back wall to get access. But if you're building double height or even single height then how do you keep the battlements on top (pardon me, crenellations) so that they don't fall off if you remove the back wall?... we had all sorts of ideas, but some were too complex, some were cool looking designs, but really killed access... it took everyone working on it to figure it out.

I'm hoping that as the Kickstarter goes along we might have the opportunity to post some of the drawings that sketches we did to show the process in developing the final designs.
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:32 pm

Jonathan wrote:
jchunick wrote:Above all else, we have put a lot of thought and work into this KS than probably any other one. By it's very nature castles are huge so the cost has constantly been a factor. We've been working hard to build a system that is compatible with CBS, but while also considering the wallets of the backers. But with that said, Dwarven Forge is the best gaming terrain on the market so nothing is done half-assed. This is still going to be an awesome set.
Having thoroughly read the KS page and watched the live stream, it's clear that a huge amount of careful thought went into considering the balance between cost, modularity, quality, and compatibility. For example, leaving the wall toppers out of the core pledges to help out those of us that already have battlements - that was brilliant.

Kudos to the team!
Amen, brother. I bought a boatload in KS3 and this saves me a boatload now.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est
WeaselWarGod

Jonathan
Orc
Orc

Post by Jonathan » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:24 pm

jchunick wrote:Above all else, we have put a lot of thought and work into this KS than probably any other one. By it's very nature castles are huge so the cost has constantly been a factor. We've been working hard to build a system that is compatible with CBS, but while also considering the wallets of the backers. But with that said, Dwarven Forge is the best gaming terrain on the market so nothing is done half-assed. This is still going to be an awesome set.
Having thoroughly read the KS page and watched the live stream, it's clear that a huge amount of careful thought went into considering the balance between cost, modularity, quality, and compatibility. For example, leaving the wall toppers out of the core pledges to help out those of us that already have battlements - that was brilliant.

Kudos to the team!

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

PS< JOSH

Post by GODofwar » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:53 am

Are there any goodies for being there right away? I assume not, but just asking...
The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est
WeaselWarGod

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:52 am

jchunick wrote:
GODofwar wrote:Josh, where do we find the KS? I can't see it.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est
It goes live at 11am EST.
I thought there were teasers or leaders visible before then.
Is the best google search term 'castle builder kickstarter' or 'ksiv kickstarter'? The former, I'm guessing.

Thanks, Josh.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est
WeaselWarGod

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:49 am

GODofwar wrote:Josh, where do we find the KS? I can't see it.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est
It goes live at 11am EST.

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:48 am

Josh, where do we find the KS? I can't see it.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est
WeaselWarGod

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:43 am

Personally, I think the biggest thing we need is a lot of friendly people willing to point others to Jenney's pages - that will live on the forums here - when they have questions. We won't be on 24/7, but others will be at times we're not.

I'm mostly concerned with people pushing agendas to derail things whether or not they get an answer from DF. That being said, I think we're in a much better position with this KS than maybe the last one, which was a wild ride for a number of reasons.

Above all else, we have put a lot of thought and work into this KS than probably any other one. By it's very nature castles are huge so the cost has constantly been a factor. We've been working hard to build a system that is compatible with CBS, but while also considering the wallets of the backers. But with that said, Dwarven Forge is the best gaming terrain on the market so nothing is done half-assed. This is still going to be an awesome set.

The community involvement in the KSes has always been a highlight for me and, above all, I hope to enjoy myself; I hope everyone else does too.