NOTES FOR NATE - 2x2x2 Spacer Too Tall

natetaylor
Ogre
Ogre

Re: NOTES FOR NATE - 2x2x2 Spacer Too Tall

Post by natetaylor » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:54 pm

Almost all the prototypes are imprecise to some degree. Since they're all handmade. Height in particular tends to vary because the pieces are manually sanded to height.

They'll be true inch measurements when factory finished (KS3 scale). But we have a few things to help with slight scale differences.

Keep the feedback and questions coming! Keep those eagle eyes peeled.

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Post by JenneyOC » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:23 pm

yes

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:13 pm

So are you saying KS4 is partially 3d printed, Josh?
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:19 pm

It's a variation because a bunch of pieces have to be cast in-house in order to build the pledge levels and large scenes you see in the pictures and videos. They are molded and cast in resin. They are single molds, which means the flat side of the piece is adhered to the surface of the mold box and then silicone is poured. When it sets you pull apart the mold box and then pull out the piece from the set silicone mold. When you pour resin into it, it's quite easy to over pour, which is how you get variations in height. Casting hundreds of pieces means you often don't worry too much about slight height differences...

... but I understand that the Eagle Eyed amongst you do :-)

Many of the production pieces are being made from a very precise 3D created file. The textures are still all hand sculpted, but are then digitized and laid onto the geometric shapes. This has been necessary for the Dwarvenite-G material (an ABS plastic formula, similar to what LEGO is made of). Doing it this way has also streamlined the process, which had a bit of a bottleneck when the sculptors had to create each piece, separately, even if there was a simple variation such as a window or arrow slit added to it.... the process is a bit more complex and nuanced than that, but I hope you get the general idea without taking it out of context beyond the point of the spacer block heights.
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

Jonathan
Orc
Orc

Post by Jonathan » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:11 pm

GODofwar wrote:Nate, in your how-to video the 2x2x2 space blocks are higher than the regular spacer. I assume this was a variation in the prototypes, but I mention it on the off chance it needs fixing.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est
I noticed that too. Thanks for thinking to make a note of it. I suspect it's just a prototype imperfection, since there didn't seem to be a benefit to the mismatch (unless there's some future piece we don't know about).

There are a ton of details that were nailed perfectly in KS3, although a few staff members (Nate and Stefan included) have noted that a few known errors did get overlooked in the chaos, such as the Nobles Crossing stones not lining up - something that was known early on (I think Nate even comments on it in a promo video), but it was simply forgotten.

I think constructive feedback like this thread is probably super helpful, since it can serve as a reminder of problems in the prototypes that they'll want to be sure aren't present in the final production molds.

lostpict
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by lostpict » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:04 pm

Maybe it's mismatched for a reason. Maybe some inserts to level up the floors would be useful?
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:27 pm

You're right, there is. I wonder if that's just an artifact from the prototype, or if the 2x2x2 isn't supposed to go directly against the wall for some reason.
Last edited by jackattack on Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

NOTES FOR NATE - 2x2x2 Spacer Too Tall

Post by GODofwar » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:10 pm

Nate, in your how-to video the 2x2x2 space blocks are higher than the regular spacer. I assume this was a variation in the prototypes, but I mention it on the off chance it needs fixing.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est
WeaselWarGod