TROGNOTES-Wall Notch

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Re: TROGNOTES-Wall Notch

Post by JenneyOC » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:25 pm

Platforms are used to support crenellations/battlements without the need of the center post (remember the dwarven post in the last KS)... The battlements even increase the number of 2x2 pieces that need to sit on top the tower. the platforms will allow you to do this.

They are not to hold the floors. (there is only 1 in the watchtower pledge and that is 4 floors high)

Ex. If you take the 4x4 roof platform that was included to hold the crenellations above the gatehouse... you could put it onto a 4x4 CBS tudor level and perhap add your individual 2x2 MBS pieces above. There are many many creative ways to use the roof platforms

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:24 pm

Vegomatic wrote:It would appear that the platform pieces, that go between each floor, already have a beam across them... Will more than that be required?
I think the platform pieces are meant to support the floors. It might be hard to use them to support stairway that just keeps going up and has no floor.

Not clear to me right now but it looks like the stairs stop at the bottom of each floor, rather than passing through a hole. It could also be that the stairs come up even with the floor and one just leaves one of the four floor extensions out to make a hole for the stairway.

Either way, stairs are probably not the main issue. The notches can be used for a lot of things.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est
WeaselWarGod

jasdotcom
Ogre
Ogre

Post by jasdotcom » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:46 am

JenneyOC wrote:
jasdotcom wrote:Copied from my post in Wishlist KS4 thread -
"It would be very handy to have notches in the curved tower walls so that horizontal support posts can be inserted. This would allow the use of the curved walkways supporting the curved stairs without having floors installed - creating an open tower staircase"
This is part of the design. your open spiral tower would need a complete redesign of the entire tower from the ground up. I do not see it as a possibility currently. Who knows in the future, but not for KS4.
The story of my life lol - come up with what I think would be the most innocuous idea to implement within current plans, and find that it radically changes the whole concept. Thanks for the reply, JennyOC. I fully understand.

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:45 am

It would appear that the platform pieces, that go between each floor, already have a beam across them... Will more than that be required?

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

TROGNOTES-Wall Notch Supports Interior Beams

Post by GODofwar » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:26 am

"It would be very handy to have notches in the curved tower walls so that horizontal support posts can be inserted. This would allow the use of the curved walkways supporting the curved stairs without having floors installed - creating an open tower staircase"
I'm with Anime. This is a marvelous idea. The notches would have to have metal "beams" in them, b/c they are so small dwarvenite would be too flexible. But getting some metal stock from the hobby store and cutting and painting it is hardly a big deal. Maybe not painting it - brass bars would look cool...of course, the stairs or whatever might have to have channels cut in them so the beam didn't sit between one stair and another...depends on how they fall. Have to wait to see when the sets arrive.

But this is a really great idea. Not just multiple-floor stairs, but the beams could support chandeliers....or hanging bodies.... or spiders in midair!

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est
WeaselWarGod

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Post by JenneyOC » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:08 am

I am sorry. it is not possible to have round towers with out at least a partial floor. The walls surround the floor. they do not sit on them. the floor has metal bits along the edge. The walls have magnets along the inside base where they connect to the floors.

It is possible to use the larger half curve pieces and sit them on top of the Tower roof frame, but you would be balancing walls without the stability of the floor. I am not sure how high you would build.

This is part of the design. your open spiral tower would need a complete redesign of the entire tower from the ground up. I do not see it as a possibility currently. Who knows in the future, but not for KS4.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:04 am

I didn't even think about support beams..... that's insanely clever.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

jasdotcom
Ogre
Ogre

Post by jasdotcom » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:36 pm

Copied from my post in Wishlist KS4 thread -

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Post by JenneyOC » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:55 pm

the notches let you stick something in and not effect your upward build.

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:37 pm

Right, so I posted, went back to Nate's video, and ten seconds later he explains the wall notches.

KS4 madness at work.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est
WeaselWarGod