So -- KS5! Predictions, thoughts, hopes?

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: So -- KS5! Predictions, thoughts, hopes?

Post by William » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:50 am

I like a lot of ideas stated in thread, but most importantly I share the idea of SMALLER in scope and investment - Please...

Some advanced builder pieces for KS1 and KS2...

viewtopic.php?p=96778#p96778

viewtopic.php?p=79142#p79142

viewtopic.php?p=89893#p89893

viewtopic.php?p=90246#p90246

I'll have some pictures of a few roof mods from KS3 fairly soon, still need to find the guts to actually cut a roof and 2 half roofs into two Hip Half Roofs and four Gable Ends. I want to make sure my angles are right first.
But I did already make some half roofs cut down the ridge-line, and didn't loose the metal sheets for chimneys and such. I expect the hip roofs will be metal free once I do those, too many angles.
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Arcarius2001
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Arcarius2001 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:09 pm

Sorn wrote:
biowizard wrote:Null,

Official D&D maps have 3"*5" and 6"*9" rooms sometimes, not always 4"*4". Making any size of rooms by 1" inch increments would give a LOT of flexibility in building. Making 1"*2" cell, 3" wide corridors, 1" wide doors, etc... is what I would like Game Tiles to do.

I completely agree with Biowizard here. It would be nice to be able to replicate a lot more of the old D&D maps and the additional flexibility that Biowizard is proposing here would be much appreciated.
Some of the issue is the old blue maps were made so that one grid was 10', not the 5' per 1" grid that 3.x popularized. So a lot of those maps have those funky measurements that is hard to replicate with the 2" standard Dwarven Forge piece.
I would love to have pieces as Biowizard mentions. But I wonder the economic feasibility of pleasing a bunch of old schoolers.

Audles
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Audles » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:43 pm

I'd like an advanced tile set. As is, it's super hard to replicate D&D maps... Which is 90% of what I use DF for.

tangleknot
Goblin
Goblin

Post by tangleknot » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:40 pm

If the Game tiles ks wasn't so affordable I wouldn't own my 2K in DF products. As I'm already a owner of DF products, for KS 5 I would like to see a wide array of addons from all the DF lines. I also would like to see a reprint of the core 3 dungeon pieces (wall, floor and corner) plus stretch goals. This inexpensive core set could draw in a lot of new DF owners who may then buy into the other lines or addons.

600lbpanther
Goblin
Goblin

Post by 600lbpanther » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:17 pm

Here is the Dwarven Forge Kickstarter 5 Survey (Rough Version) as promised:

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=7805

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:49 pm

GODofwar wrote:
TLW-Lord Dust, that's how I run games too. And the Jamison book advocates and supports exactly that mode of DM operation. Anything close to putting players on rails irritates the heck out of me.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est - especially this one.
The only time I come close to rails is usually with new players that aren't comfortable with something that sand-boxy. I'll lead them by the hand a bit to get them into the swing. I fully realize this stuff comes easier to some GMs than others and that a modicum of experience helps a lot with it, but it is the better way to go if you can swing it. When I am a player I tend to make mincemeat of premade modules even if our group is on the lower end of their suggested levels (except Dragon Mountain, but that module is the Devil made paper and ink, which is probably why I like it so much). I really have to dial it back unless I've got a good GM that can adjust on the fly without going nuclear.

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:26 pm

LordDust wrote:I almost always fly by the seat of my pants when I GM. I have NPCs, references, maps, etc. but the story is player driven. I have events going on and factions and personages taking action. They may be background or the players may run smack into them depending on their decisions. Essentially every faction/VIP/etc. has motivations, personalities, goals and resources which at a glance can give you a vague idea of how they will handle things or react to things. This makes it easy for me to script the world around the players on the fly. Premade modules simply provide locations, characters, things, etc. to put into the game world. I make a few changes to make them fit in then use them. If the characters don't take up a quest a rival group may, gaining the rewards as well often to the players chagrin. Adventurers may not grow on trees, but they aren't exceedingly rare either. Imael the rogue may be working the market and the Grinning Men of the assassin's league may be assassinating a noble in his offices. Depending on whether the party goes shopping or heads to an interview for some work with a noble would determine whether they run into one of those. Of course, they can easily choose to do something else, in which case my lovely folders of things will likely have appropriate stuff I can pull out for wherever they go and whatever they do. If not, I can likely craft up the skeleton of likely events before they finish deciding how they're going about what they're doing.

I seldom have problems, except for occasionally forgetting to take a note. In that event I will reward a player who has the missing info jotted down with something small for helping out. An occasion where no one noted the name of a Dwarven hall resulted in it getting renamed "Dundrik Hall" when a player misheard me mutter "Don't recall". The leader of said hall suddenly acquired an influential ancestor by the name of Dundrik Stonegrinder.
TLW-Lord Dust, that's how I run games too. And the Jamison book advocates and supports exactly that mode of DM operation. Anything close to putting players on rails irritates the heck out of me.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est - especially this one.
WeaselWarGod

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:00 am

Dear Stefan

I love my caverns but they need more pieces also, caverns need to break away from the 2x2 grid to look more organic.

If not in KS5 please no later than KS6.

koraldon
Goblin
Goblin

Post by koraldon » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:22 am

Stefan said the following on the KS4 page:
hi Folks,
just checking in....yes, we will do a few ruins and alleys for the pledge manager.....maybe something more....
doing a kickstarter just for ruins would not work, we need to generate a certain amount of money when doing kickstarters because it is an enormous year long effort. You guys only see the 25 days it is live, but after that, we are still working on getting all the many pieces made up until delivery...the nature of the beast is it must be large or nothing...what we do is different than many other kickstarters that might be a lot less complicated.
The next one must be easier or we will all lose our sanity....lol...we had a very big crew this year, harder to manage and more costly...to think, just 4-5 years ago, it was mostly just me creating the prototypes...even in KS1 & 2, it was mostly just me....now we needed 7-8 people for KS3 & 4....we need to shrink down again....I think....KS5 should give some love to all the kickstarters...a smorgasborg...cornucopia, so to speak....low entry, much to choose from, everybody happy, hopefully more backers. Probably it will center around the dungeon...beef up the KS1 dungeons....and then lots of add on sets for everything else...including ruins for castles, more roofs, different stuff for City's...so much stuff I want to do for City's though....maybe Dungeons AND City's? I feel like caverns is doing OK...it's mostly dungeons, and City's that need more fleshing out....

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:51 am

I almost always fly by the seat of my pants when I GM. I have NPCs, references, maps, etc. but the story is player driven. I have events going on and factions and personages taking action. They may be background or the players may run smack into them depending on their decisions. Essentially every faction/VIP/etc. has motivations, personalities, goals and resources which at a glance can give you a vague idea of how they will handle things or react to things. This makes it easy for me to script the world around the players on the fly. Premade modules simply provide locations, characters, things, etc. to put into the game world. I make a few changes to make them fit in then use them. If the characters don't take up a quest a rival group may, gaining the rewards as well often to the players chagrin. Adventurers may not grow on trees, but they aren't exceedingly rare either. Imael the rogue may be working the market and the Grinning Men of the assassin's league may be assassinating a noble in his offices. Depending on whether the party goes shopping or heads to an interview for some work with a noble would determine whether they run into one of those. Of course, they can easily choose to do something else, in which case my lovely folders of things will likely have appropriate stuff I can pull out for wherever they go and whatever they do. If not, I can likely craft up the skeleton of likely events before they finish deciding how they're going about what they're doing.

I seldom have problems, except for occasionally forgetting to take a note. In that event I will reward a player who has the missing info jotted down with something small for helping out. An occasion where no one noted the name of a Dwarven hall resulted in it getting renamed "Dundrik Hall" when a player misheard me mutter "Don't recall". The leader of said hall suddenly acquired an influential ancestor by the name of Dundrik Stonegrinder.

As to some of the on topic discussion, I like the idea of advanced builder things for every set out so far in dwarvenite. This would make our builds more interesting and flexible.