So -- KS5! Predictions, thoughts, hopes?

marcoreds
Orc
Orc

Re: So -- KS5! Predictions, thoughts, hopes?

Post by marcoreds » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:41 am

I'd also have a suggestion for future tiles, even if I'm not sure this is feasible.

The question would be this: is the bottom (the part that touches the ground) of the tiles printed with a mold, as of today flat?

If the answer is yes, I would print a cylindric "hole" in the middle of it, not very deep.

This way, anybody who wants could glue in a small magnet, like rare earth magnets (they come very very cheap) and make the tiles magnetic.

Not very useful for a diorama, true, but for an rpg, presenting entire pieces of dungeon as they are explored (using various size metallic sheets as bases, with pre-built rooms/corridors on those) is great (I do this with tiles from another Italian artist/producer, who does them already magnetized, and it works great).

Again, assuming this is not an additional cost, it would be irrelevant for those who don't care, incredible for those who do.

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:01 am

At some point I'm going to put up a review of KS4 (the campaign, not the pieces) that will touch on some points made here. For now...

If DF does create expansions for prior KSes I hope they will match the styles and textures of the previous items. I like being able to transition between themes in different sections of a build, but I don't want to put different themes together piecemeal because various pieces only come in one theme or another.

New themes are great, but being able to match new items to what I already have is also great.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:34 am

KS5 All the things for KS1-4 that we have been asking for.

If William cut up a piece and wowed us with it then it should be in KS5
(Most things William cut up are worthy of being made)

If pieces do not exist to transfer between the pieces from one KS to another it should be in KS5
(we gave Stefan grief for the dungeon wall to cavern piece but we really do need more transition pieces)
(cavern wall with water floor, sewer to cavern, etc.)

Pieces to break us out of the 2x2 grid and get use back in to it.
(I love my cavern tiles but they do look a little to regular, Not all dungeon maps are on a 2x2 grid)

Pieces to break us out of the 4x4 grid for Tudor.
(While it made sense to get the 2x4 CBS stone tiles with the castle stuff I really wanted 2x4 CBS Tudor tiles so much more. Having blocky stone buildings looks fine but Tudor buildings look so much better if they look like they have been added on to over the years.

It was fun to see mushrooms on a mountain but a add-on pack of bushes and small trees could be used on the mountains, in the city and around to castle with out flock getting every where.

I know that each KS there had to be items Stefan and Crew had that did not come out so how about some of them.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:15 am

I'd like a variety of twists on the dungeon, cavern, and town themes. Kind of like Den of Evil, RoTA, ruins, etc.

Let's get Sewers 2, Water Caverns 2, a stylized dungeon set, different cavern sculpts or an entirely different looking cavern (basalt, Sir William?), and different takes on cities.

There are lots of possibilities and if DF plays their cards right, the new sets should be universal enough that you don't NEED the old sets, these just make the old sets more varied and versatile.

Oh, and advanced builder PACKS would be great, I wouldn't want a whole kickstarter with them.
106 Resin and 202 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

cawshis
Goblin
Goblin

Post by cawshis » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:35 am

I think going back to dungeons would be the way to go.

This KS was way too big and probably could have been 2 different ones (castles and mountains/outdoor) with a smaller one for dressing packs. As it was for me, I spent every penny I could responsibly muster and I still feel like I didn't a good assortment of everything offered. I didn't feel that way in KS2 or KS3.

But I don't expect DF to just release new dungeon pieces in the same style or the old ones at a discount or something like that. Instead of I'd like for them to offer a different kind of dungeon built around a theme of some sort: Dwarven, Dark Elves, kobold....whatever. Ways to link KS1 with a new look or options.

Plus it would have some compatibility with all those nifty LED offers in this KS. And it might generate future KS (dwarven CBS! Dwarven castle!) themes that connect across a few years.

I dunno. I'd also like a snowy mountain pack and fields packs/wood sets. So what do I know? :)

KenCOWrite
Kobold
Kobold

Post by KenCOWrite » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:32 am

I would chime in for KS5 to have smaller price points for "cool" stuff. I have been collecting DF since 1996 when they started. I reviewed my pledges KS1 - $400, KS2 - $900 KS3 - $2000 and now KS4 would have broken the bank if I didn't sell off a lot of my old resin stuff (which makes my KS 4 pledge only slightly ridiculous). As someone who goes "all in" or doesn't go in at all, another KS with $2K+ being the price to get a little of everything, I would probably have to pass.
My ideal KS5 - adding in specialty bits for the various themes (special dungeon, cavern, some new roofs, alleys for KS3, etc) but even better, do a small KS every 4 months focusing on one of these areas.

600lbpanther
Goblin
Goblin

Post by 600lbpanther » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:58 pm

jchunick wrote:
600lbpanther wrote:I entirely disagree also with the idea of a KS for "new blood". You risk alienating an entire customer base who is now heavily invested into this product and is ripe for return purchases.

A laser focused approach directly applicable to all the people from KS1, KS2, KS3, & KS4 is the way to reach the ~$2,000,000 mark again.
There's a name for the logical fallacy that you're using right now... but it's late, I'm tired and I can't think of it.

There's no reason that introducing sets that expand the current ones, but could maybe stand on their own, and have a more universal appeal to gamers couldn't draw in both old and new customers... and I don't really understand the 'alienating' part.

Edit: thought of it! The False Dilemma Fallacy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dilemma
Well, that's good to hear that I may be wrong but not sure the "False Dilemma Fallacy" is the reason as this is not really a black-or-white or this-or-that issue.

The way I see it is you have:

1) Dungeons
2) Caverns
3) Cities
4) Castles

Now if you are entirely new to the terrain collection business and want to start out: It seems that the major tile sets have already been covered. What are we going to suggest that will satisfy people with these sets already and brand new people looking to build their collections?

Do a great number of people who want to start their collections outright want to start with tile sets such as:

1) Docks and Boats?
2) Plains / Woodlands / Waterfalls?
3) Farms / Barns?

Not saying that KS5 is any of the above but how many people now need:

1) Dungeons
2) Caverns
3) Cities
4) Castles

Which would be very interesting to brand spanking new KS supporters?

lostpict
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by lostpict » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:58 pm

I skipped KSII due to a massive resin cavern, rivers, lakes investment when DF was going through hard times. I love the 4x4 footprint and the KSII stuff just didn't seem to click. I still don't have any of it.
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

Smogma
Orc
Orc

Post by Smogma » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:55 pm

I don't really see a way to attract 5000 backers again (including 3000 new backers). The original KS had over 5000 backers but that was a function of cheap introductory level of the (pretty much universally acknowledged) most useful set DF could offer. I don't think any environment is going to have as much interest. You can do whatever you want, sci-fi, historical war, pirate ships, etc... but I don't think the market for any other setting will be greater that we had for dungeons. Just simple facts of life. Caverns were a close second but I think third place and beyond will pale in comparison to first place. Doing dungeons all over again wouldn't even be as successful as the first time because most people interested already have purchased most of what they wanted (barring additional wicked add-ons, etc.)
Last edited by Smogma on Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:47 pm

lostpict wrote:& OBTW, just noticed that I need a KSIV badge!
You seem to be missing your KSII badge as well! ;-)
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.