So -- KS5! Predictions, thoughts, hopes?

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: So -- KS5! Predictions, thoughts, hopes?

Post by jchunick » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:46 pm

600lbpanther wrote:I entirely disagree also with the idea of a KS for "new blood". You risk alienating an entire customer base who is now heavily invested into this product and is ripe for return purchases.

A laser focused approach directly applicable to all the people from KS1, KS2, KS3, & KS4 is the way to reach the ~$2,000,000 mark again.
There's a name for the logical fallacy that you're using right now... but it's late, I'm tired and I can't think of it.

There's no reason that introducing sets that expand the current ones, but could maybe stand on their own, and have a more universal appeal to gamers couldn't draw in both old and new customers... and I don't really understand the 'alienating' part.

Edit: thought of it! The False Dilemma Fallacy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dilemma
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Post by lostpict » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:43 pm

& OBTW, just noticed that I need a KSIV badge!
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Post by lostpict » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:42 pm

I know of a couple of Terrain companies that switched to multiple smaller KS per year to better address market niches. It sure is a long time until January (or March) of 2018 KS5 delivery. That is a long stretch if you did not get what you thought was coming in this KS (things like more CBS stuff or Dwarvenite dungeon bits, etc.). That 2-year hiatus is enough time for super loyal customers to look for alternate solutions. I rather see 3 or 4 small high speed KS in that time period that are aimed at specific market segments.
Regards,

600lbpanther
Goblin
Goblin

Post by 600lbpanther » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:34 pm

I entirely disagree also with the idea of a KS for "new blood". You risk alienating an entire customer base who is now heavily invested into this product and is ripe for return purchases.

A laser focused approach directly applicable to all the people from KS1, KS2, KS3, & KS4 is the way to reach the ~$2,000,000 mark again.

mcmonte
Goblin
Goblin

Post by mcmonte » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:32 pm

I would love to see a "back to the dungeon" theme for KS5, especially with a Dwarvenite revisitation on the Dungeon Advanced Builder and Ruins sets.

I would also like to see smaller scale add on packs for dungeon dressing and other accessories.

There will always be the dedicated core that are willing to spend over $1000 each or more, however I think more backers would be attracted by a lower price point at entry. The highest pledge tiers shouldn't really be where the most backers are found.

600lbpanther
Goblin
Goblin

Post by 600lbpanther » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:30 pm

I want to see stuff to tie all these locations together.

Dungeons --> Caverns --> City --> Castle

Those are some major points along the journey but what about the Woodlands, Plains, Open Roads where a lot of the adventure happens along the way to those places?

GardenDM
Ogre
Ogre

Post by GardenDM » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:27 pm

...good points by both the gentlemen.

I'd go a step further and say that $250 should be a juicy target. This is the level of a splurge (decent lego set, video game system, etc.) for a great many people. As beautiful as this stuff is as art, it is "just" plastic terrain and for the non-initiated, $250 for something that adds to their play (for many definitions of play) is a great sweet spot. Really dig deep and come up with something awesome for $250 and you'll sweep the day.

It wasn't that long ago when $500 seemed a little crazy for this stuff for me...and now I'm in way over my head.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:21 pm

I'm not sure why you keep on talking about another company on DF's forums... who's this DwF you speak of?... ;-)

But all kidding aside, I agree that new backers need to be a huge component of KS5... and the buy-in should be at the $500 level, not the $1000 or $1500 level to get something good.
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

KS5: What it Needs to Be

Post by GODofwar » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:15 pm

The driver behind KS5 should not be fans. Most of us will play almost no matter what KS5 offers, if it fits with our game at all.

KS5 absolutely has to get new blood in. Minimum numbers should be 5000 backers and 3000 new backers (meaning backers who have not pledged since KS2).

That many backers would mean a successful KS with average pledge circa $500US. That is easy for most working people.

That many backers would give DwF a chance to lock them in by the KS and by personal contact.

THis should be DwF goal.

The Least Weasel
WeaselWarGod

lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Post by lostpict » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:07 pm

@Josh, hopefully that will emerge. I have a bunch of the GF9 ruins (which I painted white for LOTR). I would love to be able to build a DF tower (whole or ruined) like the one in this shot: Image Photolink https://www.flickr.com/photos/9975128@N ... 677684033/
Regards,