So -- KS5! Predictions, thoughts, hopes?

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: So -- KS5! Predictions, thoughts, hopes?

Post by GODofwar » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:59 pm

jchunick wrote:I'd bet dollars to donuts that it'll be a smaller KS.
Bets, or beans, Josh?

And do they PAY you (in Dwarvenite, of course) to create this sort of pandemoniuous speculation?

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est
WeaselWarGod

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:56 pm

biowizard wrote:Null,

Official D&D maps have 3"*5" and 6"*9" rooms sometimes, not always 4"*4". Making any size of rooms by 1" inch increments would give a LOT of flexibility in building. Making 1"*2" cell, 3" wide corridors, 1" wide doors, etc... is what I would like Game Tiles to do.
Completely Concur wih (Sir)Biowizard.

You really got your wife to go to NY to pick up your DwF? I bet there was a broadway show or something in the deal~

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est
WeaselWarGod

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:46 pm

lostpict wrote:I built a CBS castle with some mocked 4" towers (with the DF1 curved pieces). Photo link - https://www.flickr.com/photos/9975128@N ... 6353738271

It turns out that the a round tower creates a 2" off-set. I could adjust for the off-set around the castle, but not for the inner courtyard entry. Some more CBS streets would be very useful - some 2x2 sidewalk pieces with curbs, 2x2 street pieces, 2x4 street and alley sections. I may just cut up some of the CBS street pieces to make it work for the next years, but this would be something useful for KS5.

I also believe that the 4" towers are mostly going to be useful as stairwells and foundations / bump-outs for D-towers, Barbicans, etc. So, I am going with 6" towers this cycle. I think that KS5 should have some 8", 12" and even 16" towers. Now that would be massive!

For CBS, I would love to see more roofs - shed, hip, & pyramidal.
With the current design any size is possible. It would just require the floor extender pieces. A 2" thick extender piece would create an 8" tower. The one thing you cannot get around is needing whole new wall pieces every time. That's the one inherent problem with round towers that you just cannot get a-round (pun intended). But at least the extender pieces make it do-able. If you had to create floors at ever larger circles then you'd need a pile more pieces, plus they'd eventually get so large that packing would be problematic, at best.
Last edited by jchunick on Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:43 pm

I'd bet dollars to donuts that it'll be a smaller KS.

lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Post by lostpict » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:40 pm

I built a CBS castle with some mocked 4" towers (with the DF1 curved pieces). Photo link - https://www.flickr.com/photos/9975128@N ... 6353738271

It turns out that the a round tower creates a 2" off-set. I could adjust for the off-set around the castle, but not for the inner courtyard entry. Some more CBS streets would be very useful - some 2x2 sidewalk pieces with curbs, 2x2 street pieces, 2x4 street and alley sections. I may just cut up some of the CBS street pieces to make it work for the next years, but this would be something useful for KS5.

I also believe that the 4" towers are mostly going to be useful as stairwells and foundations / bump-outs for D-towers, Barbicans, etc. So, I am going with 6" towers this cycle. I think that KS5 should have some 8", 12" and even 16" towers. Now that would be massive!

For CBS, I would love to see more roofs - shed, hip, & pyramidal.
Last edited by lostpict on Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

GardenDM
Ogre
Ogre

Post by GardenDM » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:34 pm

@AnimeSensei - I hear ya on that feeling!

I'm adjusting my expectations this year from "buy a bit of everything and at a scale that will fill my (small) table" to "buy the things I'm most excited about and plan to buy additions over time in the store".

I'm slowly considering resin purchases from the store (snagged my first - Catacombs 1 last summer) and now have to reconcile with the fact that I'm going to be buying Dwarvenite/Gorgonite from the store over time as well.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:26 pm

I would also like to echo that I -need- a smaller KS next year if DF offers one. Otherwise I'm likely out or will be at a lesser amount that I would spend going "all in" in a smaller KS.

With this KS, you either had to "go big or go home" I felt if you wanted a castle. There really weren't many realistic options available: mountains, a castle front, towers, or the whole enchilada. I know there were a lot of choices, but it really felt like an all or nothing proposition. :/

So yeah, smaller scale for KS5. I know DF makes less per backer overall, but I think as a populace with our other financial obligations, spouses, some of us may be out of kidneys now, etc. we would all appreciate it.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Smogma
Orc
Orc

Post by Smogma » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:25 pm

jchunick wrote:Guess what piece I'd likely be prototyping for a KS1 Advanced Set?
We really need *two* of your LED works for KS1 Josh

1) standard, 2x2 Straight Wall w/LED torch
2) Passageway (straight on both ends) w/LED torch on one side.

GardenDM
Ogre
Ogre

Post by GardenDM » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:22 pm

@Josh - Garderobes? *ducks*

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:20 pm

Guess what piece I'd likely be prototyping for a KS1 Advanced Set?