Experts wanted - the 4000 bucks question

zenmaster
Orc
Orc

Re: Experts wanted - the 4000 bucks question

Post by zenmaster » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:39 pm

@Audles - yes, I meant to sound like I agreed with you on the Sorcerer's Sanctum, and edited my original post to reflect that better :-). Your recommendations were spot on!
Dungeon Crawl Classics enthusiast.

Audles
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Audles » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:35 pm

Yeah Zen, the International Shipping was why I suggested the Sorcerer Sanctum. It's just such a good value over picking up a lot of these pieces by add-on. Further, I don't necessarily see the extra 6" Tower pieces as a waste. Keep in mind that many of them are the decorative window walls, whereas you're predominantly getting Arrowslit Walls in the Royal pledge. Plus, it gives you a lot of options for towers - which is one of the strongest offerings of this project. Toss a Mega-Wall pack (if we get one) or a GC level and you can have enclosed towers / buildings. Pretty cool, imo.

zenmaster
Orc
Orc

Post by zenmaster » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:28 pm

Audles wrote:Royal Stronghold and the Breakout Kits for sure! After that, I'd recommend getting a SORCERER SANCTUM and 1 or 2 MOUNTAINS. My reasoning being that the Sanctum is going to get you A LOT of bits and bobs from many other sets in a more economical package including, Batter Base, Bridges, Decorative Features, 4" Towers, plus 6" and 4" window towers (which you won't get a lot of in the RS level). The MOUNTAINS will get you a ton of great coverage for adding visual interest to your castle.
In general, getting the Sorcerer's Sanctum with the RS is a bit wasteful because I don't think most will really need that 5th large tower, though as Audles pointed out, it does give added large tower variety and height. It is also not super, super modular as you only get bridge bases for small round and large round towers for example.

However, since you are an international backer, the S. Sanctum actually is a great idea for you. You will get the batter base, bridge pieces, large tower variety & height, a bunch of small tower pieces, and some extra stuff at a great shipping rate.

In general, how modular you want to go is the question, and how much add-on shipping you are willing to pay for will help figure how much your $ will stretch.

I also 100% agree with Audles on the Mountain megapack. Saves you shipping, and hugely versatile.

Good luck!
Last edited by zenmaster on Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dungeon Crawl Classics enthusiast.

Audles
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Audles » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:00 pm

Royal Stronghold and the Breakout Kits for sure! After that, I'd recommend getting a SORCERER SANCTUM and 1 or 2 MOUNTAINS. My reasoning being that the Sanctum is going to get you A LOT of bits and bobs from many other sets in a more economical package including, Batter Base, Bridges, Decorative Features, 4" Towers, plus 6" and 4" window towers (which you won't get a lot of in the RS level). The MOUNTAINS will get you a ton of great coverage for adding visual interest to your castle.

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:08 pm

The RS has inside walls, yes.

Do double-walls maximize modularity? That's a question only you can answer. Do you need it for playability? And remember, double-thick walls around the perimeter will decrease the length and width of your courtyard by 4". Still plenty of room, but only 12x12 instead of 16x16. Double-height walls save the inner courtyard, but then you will may need to modify every corner tower to break in to a taller wall, perhaps just with extra break-in packs.

Then, of course, there's the monstrous idea of a double-height and double-thick wall, which I'm not even going into get into, but it might make your four corner towers look a little stubby.

GattoNero25
Goblin
Goblin

Post by GattoNero25 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:15 pm

@bernyleug - that´s what i was thinking when i decided to go with RS and Citadel .... but what add-ons to choose to maximize the modularity - and do i Need double wall add-ons and inside walls, cause i think the RS has inside walls, right ?

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:34 pm

Hello, fellow backer!

I have no specific advice, but here is some GENERAL advice. Shipping to EU is expensive, and has been raised to a certain level due to DF's pledge to cover all VAT as well as shipping. This means that the number of extra add-ons you add will disproportionately increase the shipping cost to base cost.

If it is possible for you to start with a PRE-BUILT pledge, like the Count's Castle or Royal Stronghold, then that's your best bet for your base pledge from a total $ value point of view. Any other base pledge package (Watchtower, Castle, etc.) that gets you free stretch goals will come next. Add-ons come in last for overall $ value (but usually can't be avoided, because there's REALLY NEAT STUFF there).

The fact that you are buying painted actually increase the overall $ value because there's no difference in shipping painted vs. non-painted stuff, so there you go.

And we must be prepared to rename all the KS3 "battlements" for what they are, which are "crenellations". The true KS4 Battlement is a fully machicolated piece which extends further out from its base and contains taller elements. The best/neatest integration of your KS3 crenellations in a tricked-out KS4 castle is to use them to line the inside of a double-thick castle wall, surrounding the inside courtyard, while using a KS4 Straight Battlement add-on (or two) to line the outside of the wall.

Hope this helps. Purely for $ value: PRE-BUILT PLEDGE > EXPERT PLEDGE > ADD-ONS.

GattoNero25
Goblin
Goblin

Experts wanted - the 4000 bucks question

Post by GattoNero25 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:04 pm

Hi Folks,

i backed all KS so far, but this time I´m really to confused to optimize my pledge and need the help of the real experts out there to get a nice build.

I went in for 4k this time and may be able to add another 5 hundred bucks during PM - so what should i get for this amount ? I should tell you i want everyting painted and it has to be shipped to the EU, so 4 k is not such a big pledge for add-ons.

I have a lot of City stuff incl. three packs of the KS3 Tower battlements and three packs of wall battlements and I´m unsure what i should buy this time.

At the moment I´m thinking about a Royal Stronghold - should i upgrade it with an additional Citadel pledge to get the stretch Goals and additional walls and the like or should i simply go for add-ons ? :?

Whe i go for the additional citadel i also have to get inside walls, right ?

I know i also want the Runic mega pack, the Roof Mega pack and the Mountains mega pack but what else do i need to get a nice modular Castle ? :ugeek:

Your help is greatly appriciated, cause at the moment I´m just a confused german without enough funds to get all he wants ... :D

If this Looks to confused for you - that´s right - so am i - another help would be if you simply post what you will get and what´s within my price range painted and incl. shipping to Europe.