Royal Stronghold FAQ - added Double GC comparison builds

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Royal Stronghold FAQ - added Double GC comparison builds

Post by Kryzsko » Sun May 29, 2016 7:18 pm

Ya, I am glad I am getting two of the long wall sections, but I think for cheep (relatively) long walls I am going for inside walls with wall spacers. Still quick and easy to set up, and they can be used inside, outside, up, and so on. Not that there is anything wrong with double GC. I can most definitely see the appeal.

geekjeff
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by geekjeff » Sun May 29, 2016 6:10 pm

Yeah, I'm torn on the plethora of long walls I'm the Double GC option too. I go back and forth still.

I remind myself that I don't have to use those walls all the time - indeed, I generally wouldn't. But for 24 quick, stable inches of double high or (with wall spacers sandwiched between them) double thick walls they have some appeal. Or when making a long town wall outer bailey wall.

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Kryzsko » Sun May 29, 2016 5:56 pm

I have thought about 2 GC but a lot of the walls you end up with are the inflexible 12" wall sections. I decided I could deal with 2 of the 12" wall sections but 4 would be a hard. It is not just that the walls are 3 connected walls, but also you can't remove the wall spacer, so you can't use the extra set as inside walls, or use the spacers on their own as walls or walkways. With 2 GC you get a lot of table coverage for the money but you lose flexibility. It all depends on what you are looking for. I have gone back and forth in so many ways. I will be glad when the pledge manager closes because I will be stuck for better or for worse.

geekjeff
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by geekjeff » Sun May 29, 2016 5:12 pm

Oh I think the RS and GC+CC are pretty close (and good) values. The latter just gets you a sampler of both tower sizes, if you're interested in that. They are both "KS4 sampler packs" in effect, and that's fine. Royal Stronghold + Erinthor Montains gets you a sample of the vast majority of pieces produced in this Kickstarter.

If you're into min-maxing though, either of those setups are really close to the price of a double GC which gets you WAY more walls and a bunch of stretch goals.

You can't make an Erinthor equivalent for cheaper, but something like 3x Cliffs 2x Peaks 2x Floora 1x Elevations is within 15 bucks but has more pieces, I think (have to search other threads, it was someone else's analysis.) Lacks the Elemental and the 4x4 mountain floors though, which are unique to Erinthor.

mage1337
Goblin
Goblin

Post by mage1337 » Sun May 29, 2016 3:41 pm

geekjeff,

I'm don't need to collect the small towers at all. I'm mainly just concerned with getting a good mix of parts for flexible, adventure set-ups.

I'm curious - why do you stay the RS is better value than the GC+CC?

Also, I don't need the Elemental at all. I'd like one - but if there is a cheaper way to assemble Erinthor Mountain content packs I'd love to know. Is there a link to a thread on this somewhere?

Thanks again!

geekjeff
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by geekjeff » Sun May 29, 2016 10:07 am

mage1337 wrote:Oops! Brings the GC + CC option to $2,290.

Still struggling though - is it better to go GC + CC or RS. I can't figure out which gives more build flexibility down the road. To my eyes, the GC + CC just looks like a MUCH better value - it's essentially two castles for the price of one RS. Sure, it's missing 2 Watcher Towers. But it does have 2 Extra Small Towers + Stretch Goals + Lots of Extra Walls for Coverage.

Final advance would be hugely appreciated!
You CAN use Battlements without inside walls since they'll have clips now, but I think it would look a little weird and unfinished.

One thing your second pledge build is missing is one extra set of Battlement Transitions. You need 4 pairs for any castle with 4 towers and the Mega Pack only cones with 3 pairs. (You can get away with only one add-on set on the RS build because it includes 2 pairs, you can juggle its Battlements and Crenellations to make it work.)

The big question of you is, do you want to have both Large and Small towers to work with? It seems like your answer would be yes, you have all the different Bridge/Balcony bases in your "gotta haves" section. You could do some pretty neat stuff with a network of towers with all that.

The Count's Castle at Kickstarter pricing is a pretty efficient way to collect Small towers and roofs. Nobody can say yet whether it will be available at retail later. I'm pretty sure Watchtowers will be, you could always buy more of those if/when you wanted 4 Large towers.

As you note, with GC+CC you could build one castle a bit larger than a RS (wider by 8", use cube spacers in place of 1 missing wall section) or two smaller, 20x12 two-tower castles at once. One with Battlements, one with Crenellations - would be a few Battlements shy of full coverage on both simultaneously.

If you like the idea of GC+CC I think it's a totally valid option, maybe it's not totally min-maxed but it's got superior variety, a bunch of stretch goals, and is a great foundation if you ever decided you need to go bigger.

On Double Erinthor - how much do you like the Elemental, and could you find a use for two of them? Somebody else's math (not mine) on building an Erinthor from addons pegged the price of the Megapack with Elemental at about $15 over the cost of roughly equivalent addons minus the elemental.

ALTHOUGH you could buy the second Erinthor and then eBay the extra elemental to some lucky buyer, if you decided you didn't want him. Somebody recently Ebayed a painted Lion Statue from a KS3 Imperial Streets megabpack for close to 100 bucks I believe.

mage1337
Goblin
Goblin

Post by mage1337 » Sun May 29, 2016 8:48 am

Oops! Brings the GC + CC option to $2,290.

Still struggling though - is it better to go GC + CC or RS. I can't figure out which gives more build flexibility down the road. To my eyes, the GC + CC just looks like a MUCH better value - it's essentially two castles for the price of one RS. Sure, it's missing 2 Watcher Towers. But it does have 2 Extra Small Towers + Stretch Goals + Lots of Extra Walls for Coverage.

Final advance would be hugely appreciated!

period3
Orc
Orc

Post by period3 » Sat May 28, 2016 6:56 pm

Your second option doesn't have inner walls, but you probably need them to hold up the battlements.

mage1337
Goblin
Goblin

Post by mage1337 » Sat May 28, 2016 5:15 pm

Geekjeff,

Sorry for my delayed reply! But I am back and almost ready to lock-in my pledge.

Thanks to all your help (you are INCREDIBLE!) I think I am almost ready to lock-in. But I did want to ask for your "approval" of my pledge! FYI: My budget is ~$3,300. The objective of my pledge is build a really solid, feature-full castle w/ battlements (think adventuring locale) while still getting some nice extras for City and KS1/KS2 comparability.

Castle Option 1 - RS + Extras - $2,157
1x Royal Stronghold
1x Straight Battlements
1x Corner Battlements
1x Transition Battlements
1x Manual Drawbridge

Castle Options 2 - GC + Count's Castle - $2,142
1x GC
1x Count's Castle
1x Mega Battlement Pack
1x Manual Drawbridge

Extras (Getting with Either Pledge, Above -- $1,323)
2x Erinthor Mountains (I LOVE caverns!)
1x Alley Intersections
1x Stone Bridge Pack
1x Tower Bridge
1x Tower Bridge Base (Small)
1x Tower Bridge Base (Large)
Batter Base (Large Tower)
Batter Base (Small Tower)
1x Cathedral Roof
1x 8x8 Floors
1x Ruined Wall
1x Ruined Large Tower
1x Cube Space
1x Squre Roof Platform Pack

Which do you think is the better option to go with? Do you have any tweaks to either option? And lastly, would you "adjust" my extras at all? Am I crazy to get 2x Erinthor - is it better go 1x + Smaller Packs? Etc.

Any feedback or guidance you can give is HUGELY appreciated! Thanks SO much!