Royal Stronghold FAQ - added Double GC comparison builds

Stormfury
Orc
Orc

Re: Royal Stronghold FAQ - added Double GC comparison builds

Post by Stormfury » Mon May 16, 2016 8:53 am

@geekjeff - One question about your Double down on Crazy. Does it have enough Corner Wall Transition Platforms for 6 corner towers? I'm assuming those are required for towers? The RS only has 2 of these despite 4 corners with towers (0 Corner Wall Platform). I'm guessing this is because the back half of the castle is double walled. This means you're restricted (without add-ons) to 2 corner walls with towers and 2 double sided corner walls with towers. The 2 solid corner walls would likewise be restricted (without add-ons) to having to use the roof platforms, since there are no wall platform pieces Right?

Still trying to figure out the best value for what I want to build after playing around with shapes and drawings over the weekend. Because of the above concerns, I am leaning 2x GC now as it gives me enough wall space to actually do more than a 20" cube plus room for add-ons and has the flexibility of 4 solid corner walls and 4 tower corner walls. Since I am already planning on the Square Roof Platform pack, I could use them either double or single.
He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

Xeno Syncretic Order - Salvation Through Unity

GattoNero25
Goblin
Goblin

Post by GattoNero25 » Wed May 11, 2016 11:16 am

@geekjeff - thx for checking - not so happy i have to spend more than i thought at first - nearing 7 k now, but i guess i´ll love my decision when the stuff arrives next year :-)

lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Post by lostpict » Tue May 10, 2016 11:59 pm

I am going for double height narrow walls like at Harlech or Doune castles. I have visited a pile of castles in Europe and think most wargamimg castle walls are too short and too wide compared to real castles. Here are some I have built since January to help plan my KS4 purchase: https://sfdfsfd.wordpress.com/?s=Castle&submit=Search

I am settling on a RS plus a GC to build my initial dream castles.
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Tue May 10, 2016 11:37 pm

If anybody is trying to choose between double-height walls and double-thick walls for a citadel-based build, my opinion is to do double-thick walls first. The scale of the building might look a little off if you have double-high walls encircling a relatively small courtyard (even at 16" x 16").

My overall fortress plan is to start off with a regular four-towered GC with battlements and inner wallls(courtyard 16"x16"). Then will expand all walls by 16" to get inner courtyard of 32"x32". Then will go double thick (outward). Then will go double height single thick on the outside. Then will go proper double-height double-thick. Something tells me this will take years.

This plan will likely go to he** as soon as the next KS is announced.

geekjeff
Ogre
Ogre

Post by geekjeff » Tue May 10, 2016 10:39 pm

GattoNero25 wrote:THX that you're double checking on the battlements ...
Looks like I was overly optimistic/underestimated just how damn big some of those layouts ended up. ;)
If you totally want to cover everything feasible with Battlements instead of Crenellations, you'll want to add 1 extra of each set (Straight, Corner, Transition).

Also please note that I'm not calculating floor coverage for these builds. The floors they come with will get you close, but I'm assuming that anyone crazy enough to buy over $2k worth of Dwarvenite Castle has some dungeon and city builder floors to fill in with. I'm thinking that Streets & Alleys are a cool option too, give Sidewalk tiles to fill in the odd nooks.

Likewise for the plain City Builder level which is required on top of the gatehouse to fit Battlements above it.

Runeweaver
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Runeweaver » Tue May 10, 2016 9:58 pm

Geekjeff, don't know whether to strangle you or hug you. Possibly a little of both. NOW I am leaning toward the Double Down Crazy plan as well.

I hadn't given much thought to double height walls. Now I kinda want them. Thing is I also want double thick walls for good fights on top of the walls, and I want inside walls. I could pick up a RS! dump the corner cut outs add on, dump the 2x large tower add ons, but then have to add another inside wall. Wonder if inside walls stack well on top of each other? I would think so as they are magnetized from the inside to the spacer, and not top to bottom. However I'd also prolly have to pick up another double thick wall spacer add-on. Getting expensive. If I'm going to do that I might as well keep the tower additions and just have enough for a single wall height sprawling castle.

jonmilton
Orc
Orc

Post by jonmilton » Tue May 10, 2016 1:47 pm

geekjeff wrote: Iron Shutters are indeed tough to collect. Round Elevation Blocks (4) are in the Stairs pack if you hadn't noticed, which isn't too bad. Slightly too many round stairs in that one IMO since tower floors tend to come with their own stairs, but them's the breaks sometimes.
Yeah, 4 risers for $60 since I have a pile of all the other stairs already. I can get Iron Shutters in the Seige Defense pack 4 for $56 as well. I'm sure I can find a way to get more of them later.

GattoNero25
Goblin
Goblin

Post by GattoNero25 » Tue May 10, 2016 1:01 pm

THX that you're double checking on the battlements ...

geekjeff
Ogre
Ogre

Post by geekjeff » Tue May 10, 2016 12:43 pm

Also, I will confess to wanting a pair of towers to someday do a custom paint & decoration as obsidian/necromancery and alabaster/celestial. :ugeek:

geekjeff
Ogre
Ogre

Post by geekjeff » Tue May 10, 2016 12:25 pm

GattoNero25 wrote: Just asking, for what is the Square Roof platform pack and are this really enough battlements for the biggest layout you posted - have to say i own 3 sets of KS3 Crenelattions if this helps.
Why a GC and not simply a Citadel - ´the towers from the RS are already high enough for the battlements, so what essential parts will i lose if i go with a Citadel instead of a GC ? :ugeek:
Looks like a hell of a pledge you've got going there, man. :D

The extra Square Roof Platforms are to cover a double-thick long back wall, if you're doing the big open max courtyard build. Plus, I want some 8x8 platforms as I think they'll be super useful.
Square Roof Platforms are actually the best option to use if you're doing double-thick anywhere with Battlements on one edge.

I need to carefully map out the Battlements on all those sample builds, but I think that's enough to cover. Have to take a closer look at it this evening.

GC instead of Citadel mostly because you need extra tower levels to do double-wall-height with 4 towers attached (they need to get to 6 stories high) and the CG was surprisingly not that much more than Citadel + 2 tower packs and offered more options.