Royal Stronghold FAQ - added Double GC comparison builds

geekjeff
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Royal Stronghold FAQ - added Double GC comparison builds

Post by geekjeff » Tue May 10, 2016 12:17 pm

jonmilton wrote:If only those shutters and round elevation blocks weren't so hard to come by. Hopefully I can find someone to trade me some for my plentiful spare parts.
Iron Shutters are indeed tough to collect. Round Elevation Blocks (4) are in the Stairs pack if you hadn't noticed, which isn't too bad. Slightly too many round stairs in that one IMO since tower floors tend to come with their own stairs, but them's the breaks sometimes.

GattoNero25
Goblin
Goblin

Post by GattoNero25 » Tue May 10, 2016 12:00 pm

Curse you geekjeff - you´re working for DF, right ? :twisted:

Thought I had finalized my pledge and now this - have to sell a few personal gaming belongings, but I´m hooked on your "Double Down on Crazy" idea :shock:

If i got it right, with this i will be able to build all the builds you posted on page 2, right ? :?:

The Essentials:

Royal Stronghold x1
Grand Citadel x1
Castle Inside Wall Pack x1
Cube Spacer Pack x1 
Square Roof Platform Pack x1 
Straight Battlements x2
Corner Battlements x1 
Battlement Transitions x1
LED Illuminated Floor x1
Modular Wall of Doom x2 

Just asking, for what is the Square Roof platform pack and are this really enough battlements for the biggest layout you posted - have to say i own 3 sets of KS3 Crenelattions if this helps.
Why a GC and not simply a Citadel - ´the towers from the RS are already high enough for the battlements, so what essential parts will i lose if i go with a Citadel instead of a GC ? :ugeek:

Besides i think the following will add the extra modularity I´m looking for:

Small Tower Fortified x2
Small Round Crenellations x3 
Suspended Parapet Pack x2 
Cutout Corner Wall x2
Small Tower Batter Base x1 
Batter Base Large Tower x2
Castle Roof Mega Pack x1
Motorized Drawbridge Upgrade x1
Stone Bridge Pack x2
Tower Bridge x2
Large Tower Balcony & Bridge Base x1
Small Tower Balcony & Bridge Base x1 
Square Tower Balcony & Bridge Base x1
Big Buttress Pack x1 
Arch Walls x1

And if i ´ll be able to raise enough money ... the fun-part:

Siege Equipment x1 
Working Mangonel x1
Working Trebuchet x1 
Ruined Wall x1
Ruined Large Tower x1 
Alley Intersections x1 
Erinthor Mountains x1
Runic Theme Mega Pack x1 
Necromancer Mega Pack x1 

$6668 incl. Shipping: $1123 - Arghhh :-( .. but i think this may be the Castle of my dreams ...

@geekjeff - how does this look for you ? Is "Double Down on Crazy" really going to work ? If it is, you will hold a Special place in my heart and my wallet ;-).

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Tue May 10, 2016 11:55 am

geekjeff wrote: without buying any extra parts.
:lol: LOL!!!! :lol: That comment really did make me laugh out loud. :lol:

Looks to me like you are buying *lots* of extra parts!!! ;-)

geekjeff
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by geekjeff » Tue May 10, 2016 11:12 am

Double Down On Crazy:

1x Royal Stronghold AND 1x Grand Citadel
plus 1x Castle Inside Walls, 2x MWOD, 1x Cube Spacers, 1x Roof Platforms, 1x LED Floors
3x Straight Battlements, 2x Corner Battlements, 2x Transition Battlements
(edit: was previously 2/1/1, careful checking verifies that for my larger builds 3/2/2 are required for full Battlement coverage.)

$2712 Unpainted vs $2430 in the previous build, gets you
6 Corners with a 6" tower attached, 4 regular Corners
Battlements on everything
the little keep building from the Royal Citadel
extra Roof Platforms and Cube Spacers
14 spare Rampart Crenellations
minus: only 4 sets of stretch goals instead of 8

Should be able to complete all the builds on page 2 of this thread and more, without buying any extra parts for each particular build.

I'll stop now. :D
Last edited by geekjeff on Tue May 10, 2016 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jonmilton
Orc
Orc

Post by jonmilton » Tue May 10, 2016 10:57 am

This discussion led me to checking out doing a double grand citadel instead of doing the GC + 2 watchtowers. Some things to note: I was planning on an extra corners pack and 2 cut-out corners so those drop out with the change and factor into the price difference. I was not planning to buy any breakout packs as I have enough pieces from other packs to do the breakouts. I was also going to get a wall spacers and wall platforms pack to use with my MWOD for more walls, those dropped out as well.

For me it costs $230 more, but I get:

5 extra walls
2 extra long walls
4 extra 8x8 floors
1 extra gatehouse
17 extra smaller floor bits
2 extra sets of stretch goals

About a $350 value just in the first 4 items.

I would lose out on 4 steel shutters, 4 round elevation blocks, and 2 single doorways for large towers.

Seems like it's worth considering. Especially since I was considering an extra gatehouse anyway which drops the difference to $145. If only those shutters and round elevation blocks weren't so hard to come by. Hopefully I can find someone to trade me some for my plentiful spare parts.

lostpict
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by lostpict » Tue May 10, 2016 10:21 am

Jeff, thanks. I am going to be able to build quite the Mortuary! :D Which is good, since I will be a dead duck when I tell the wife that we have to sell her car.....
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

geekjeff
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by geekjeff » Tue May 10, 2016 10:10 am

lostpict wrote:I am thinking that a RS + a citadel with interior walls will be a good combo. I need to figure out what I need for the tower break-in when I build the RS with 8" high walls and 4 towers. The biggest realization I have made is the need for unpainted this cycle - definitely the way to stretch my castle walls.
The extra parts for that are in the "Double High" build earlier.

You need to get those towers up to 6 floors high, because Battlements need to rest on a floor that's above door level. So 2 Large Tower Fortified (or 1 Fortified & 1 Palace if that's your style.)

You don't need Tower Transitions, but if you want to be able to access your tower interior from the walkway on the 3rd floor you need 4x Cutout Corner Wall packs. Semi-optional.

I just realized that you'll also need 4 extra 3/4 tower floors, cheapest way to get those is 1x Alternate Floors pack at $29 unpainted. Added that to above.

lostpict
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by lostpict » Tue May 10, 2016 8:38 am

I am thinking that a RS + a citadel with interior walls will be a good combo. I need to figure out what I need for the tower break-in when I build the RS with 8" high walls and 4 towers. The biggest realization I have made is the need for unpainted this cycle - definitely the way to stretch my castle walls.
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

Stormfury
Orc
Orc

Post by Stormfury » Tue May 10, 2016 7:31 am

@geekjeff Thanks for the layout comparisons. I think I've opted for a GC plus a ton of add-ons as you can get more for your $ individually, if your not overly concerned with 2 GC worth of stretch goals. Plus you have more flexibility on what you get ie. Modular wall of Dooms vs solid walls, Crenelations vs Battlements, etc.

I believe these comparisons help me decide to go GC over RS because of how much more building blocks I get along with the fact I want to add some flavor crenelations and battlements to go along with my KS III ones vs covering the whole castle.
He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

Xeno Syncretic Order - Salvation Through Unity

geekjeff
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Royal Stronghold FAQ - added requested Barbican build

Post by geekjeff » Mon May 09, 2016 1:07 pm

Finally, let’s think outside the single castle box here. You have an extra Gatehouse with a double GC pledge, you could build a whole extra Castle within or elsewhere on the map.

Here’s something 8 inches wider than a regular Royal Stronghold, plus a whole extra towerless fortress double the width of a Castle pledge.
RS vs 2GC keep & bailey.png
RS vs 2GC keep & bailey.png (42.81 KiB) Viewed 4396 times
Or, you could build a motte-and-bailey style structure, with that Double-Castle-Pledge sized building elevated on some mountain blocks and a larger fortified courtyard down below. Double drawbridges, upper one lands on some Stone Bridge blocks in the courtyard. Heck, build a little pond/moat down there with Water Caverns pieces. (I dig this one.)
RS vs 2GC bumper castle.png
RS vs 2GC bumper castle.png (37.47 KiB) Viewed 4396 times