Royal Stronghold FAQ - added Double GC comparison builds

geekjeff
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Royal Stronghold FAQ - added requested Barbican build

Post by geekjeff » Mon May 09, 2016 1:06 pm

Or, you could go Bigger with the footprint. Or lots bigger.

This one is 36x24-plus-towers:
RS vs 2GC real big.png
RS vs 2GC real big.png (41.52 KiB) Viewed 4485 times
Or you could repurpose those extra Corner walls, add some 4” Fortified tower parts to build a Barbican, and make the footprint even a little bigger. This one is 28x36-plus-towers.
RS vs 2GC big.png
RS vs 2GC big.png (38.58 KiB) Viewed 4485 times
Extra Parts needed: 2-3 Small Tower Fortified, 1x Small Tower Crenellations, some 2x2 Flagstone Floors w/Trapdoors, possibly some City Builder parts to pull it together.
Last edited by geekjeff on Mon May 09, 2016 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geekjeff
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by geekjeff » Mon May 09, 2016 1:02 pm

Obviously, you could build 2 Grand Citadels side by side but that’s boring so we’ll skip it. ;)

Keeping the rough 20x20-plus-towers format of the Royal Stronghold, you could build all your walls Double High:
RS vs 2GC thick.png
RS vs 2GC thick.png (39.73 KiB) Viewed 4485 times
You really need to get those towers up to 6 stories tall to make the Round Battlements work right.
Extra parts needed: 2x Large Tower Fortified. 1x Alternate Floors pack. 4x Cutout Corner Walls for the second tier, if you want better access to tower interiors.

Or keeping the 20x20-plus-towers format of the Royal Stronghold, you could build all your walls Double Thick:
RS vs 2GC double high.png
RS vs 2GC double high.png (38.62 KiB) Viewed 4485 times
Extra parts needed: 1x Square Roof Platforms, some 2x2 Floor Tiles or KS3-style Crenellations from your collection. You can subtract some of the interior walls, one Citadel set's worth would do it.
You can’t use the KS4 double-sided crenellations for Double Thick walls, so it’s upgrade to Battlements or get your hands on a bunch of KS3 Crenellations (about 3 packs worth.)
I think that courtyard is getting a little cramped, you might consider widening a little with a straight walls pack which also makes the big Flagstone Floors fit better:
1x Straight Walls, 1x Roof Platforms, 1x Cube Spaces, extra Battlements/Crenellations as needed.
Last edited by geekjeff on Tue May 10, 2016 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

geekjeff
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by geekjeff » Mon May 09, 2016 1:02 pm

Food for thought here, I’m not trying to talk anyone into one particular pledge or another – I know some people are musing on a Royal Stronghold pledge versus going with a (gulp) double Grand Citadel with addons. How does that stack up?

It is more expensive – significantly more expensive – but you do get a lot of possibilities with it. Here’s a base build, and some musings mapped out with Foxwander’s very handy Excel shapes spreadsheet. These are kind of quick and dirty builds, some may need extra parts to make it all work right. If anyone wants a more careful and precise breakdown of any particular one please ask.

Remember, all prices here are for Unpainted (you masochist) so check the pledge manager for painted prices.
Base Build: 2x Grand Citadel, 1x Grand Citadel inside walls, 1x Castle Inside Walls, 2x Modular Wall Of Doom, 1x Castle Double Thick Walls, 1x Cube Spacers, 1x Roof Platforms, 1x Large Tower Palace, 1x Large Tower Breakout, 1x Flagstone 8x8 Floors
Unpainted price, without Crenellations or Battlements: $2001

What to put on top of the walls? For the builds which keep the rough 20x20 Citadel footprint here, figure a Citadel Crenellation Pack ($110) or for Battlements - 1x Corner, 2x Straight, 2x Transition ($163).
For the bigger sprawling builds, figure Citadel Crenellation Pack plus Castle Crenellation Pack ($175) or for Battlements – 2x Corner, 3x Straight, 3x Transition ($258.)
Do not take those numbers for gospel – map it carefully, or ask me if you see a build here you want a detailed parts list for.

If you want the little 4" Palace Tower extensions and roofs on the back towers, add 2x Wizard Huts for $116. If you want the LED Floor Pack and some LED Lantern Posts, add $45.

So, cost here starts anywhere from $2111 up to $2420, versus the $1916 for our earlier DIY-RS build. For that difference, you get a huge pile of parts and a whopping 8x Stretch Goals.

Now, what can you build with Double Grand Citadels? Let's see...
Last edited by geekjeff on Mon May 09, 2016 2:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

geekjeff
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Royal Stronghold FAQ - updated with info on Battlements

Post by geekjeff » Sat May 07, 2016 10:12 am

If you want to do Battlements instead I'm not sure you'll have enough clearance, it may be REALLY tight. But you would need:
1x Small Tower Battlements
1x Transition Battlements

I suspect that you can't fit those round Battlements on the same level as straight Battlements though, so I'd add another level to be Barbican part. Maybe add a Stone Advanced Builder set, and another Small Fortifed Towers or scavenge some parts from the little Wizard Outposts that came on your RS back towers.

geekjeff
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by geekjeff » Sat May 07, 2016 10:09 am

Figmentia asked in the Kickstarter comments what it would take to add Nate's barbican design onto the front of the Royal Stronghold. Assuming that you want to add the simple version pictured below to the stock Royal Stronghold as economically as possible, here's what I'd buy/how I'd do it:
Photo May 06, 11 49 39 PM.jpg
Photo May 06, 11 49 39 PM.jpg (410.72 KiB) Viewed 4586 times
$19 or free - Move the two MWOD walls from the interior to the front of the castle. Leave the slots open, or place some CBS doors in there. (optional: buy an extra MWOD instead if you want to keep the interior ones in place)
$78 or free - 1x Square Castle Tower pack (optional: if you already have City Builder stone pieces put them to use here, you'll need 4 floor's worth)
$40 - 1x Small Tower Fortified pack
$22 - 1x Small Tower Crenellations
$35, from the DF Webstore - 1x KS3 "Wall Battlements" (these are called Crenellations in KS4)
2x Dungeon/Flagstone/Sewer 2x2 floors or equivalent. Hopefully you have these from somewhere.
---
~$175-194 unpainted if you have to buy everything, $97-116 if you have City Builder to use.

This leaves you short one 4x4 roof platform for right on top of the Gatehouse, you could either buy a $48 Square Roof Platforms pack (which you should probably do anyways because they're awesome and useful), build the Gatehouse higher with the Drawbridge Upgrade or some CBS, improvise some other 1/8" thick 4x4 platform on top of the Gatehouse (thin plywood painted gray, etc) or deal with the fact that those floors are a tiny bit shorter - they should balance on top of the Gatehouse wall pieces just fine.

LadySabelle
Ogre
Ogre

Post by LadySabelle » Fri May 06, 2016 3:08 am

I only had the Royal Stronghold on my list because I wanted the lion gargoyles. Now that DF is offering the Flags and Gargoyles add-on, I'm free to get the CG's instead. It's still a great packed deal, but I was able to get exactly what I wanted by going with a bunch of add-ons instead.

So my advice is to make up an imaginary build and work out what you need to build it. That will help you to get a better handle on what to buy. It also lets you modify your plan if you go over budget. The excel spreadsheet my husband made up makes it easy to plan a build. You can find it on this thread here: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=7783
Unless I specifically state that my information is directly from Valoria, my comments are just my own opinions.
http://ladysabelledesigns.com/

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Fri May 06, 2016 2:46 am

Foreign backers, especially like me in Japan, also should look at the big pledges as the shipping for them is far more reasonable than last time around. I really applaud DF for separating out shipping for different regions this time.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Fri May 06, 2016 2:33 am

No one should worry about ninjas being after them, because there are only two scenarios.
1) There are no ninjas after you. Therefore you do not need to worry.
2) There are ninjas after you, and they will kill you before you are even aware of them. So no use In worrying.
So you see, worrying will not chance the outcome of either scenario. So why worry?

A big thanks from me to SirGeekJeff for maintaining his in-depth-to-the-point-of-serious-anal-retentiveness cost and utility analysis of the Royal Stronghold pledge. You get lots of every little bell and whistle with a tricked-out castle right out of the box.

This Canadian has decided that getting the stretch goals and increased modularity with extra pieces with GC+2WT+addons is worth a small price premium over the RS. I would also tend to recommend this route to US backers due to the fantastic offering known as "free shipping".

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu May 05, 2016 9:14 pm

Well, it must make Nate feel safer that no ninjas will be coming after him.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

geekjeff
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by geekjeff » Thu May 05, 2016 7:27 pm

Nate told me at one point that the Royal Stronghold was right about where he started fearing the factory packing crew was going to send someone to assassinate him with a katana.

I told him that's ridiculous, it's much more likely they'd send someone to decapitite you with a jian, right?

I would not count on the Royal Stronghold being available post-Kickstarter.