Helping the Undecided

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Helping the Undecided

Post by Vegomatic » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:16 pm

Gryphon wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:46 am
OK Here is my order. Anything I will need to pickup post KS? Did I forget something? Order too much of something?
Thanks

Royal Stronghold
x3 Long Walls Pack
x1 Corner Walls
x2 Cube Spacer Pack
x1 Modular Wall of Doom
x3 Long Inside Walls Pack
x1 Small Tower Fortified
x1 Small Tower Palace
x2 Small Tower Batter Base
x1 Large Tower Fortified
x1 Large Tower Palace
x4 Batter Base Large Tower
x2 Suspended Parapet Pack
x2 Large Tower Roofs Pack
x1 Cathedral Roof
x1 Square Roof Platform Pack
x1 8x8 Floors
x1 Motorized Drawbridge Upgrade
x2 Stone Bridge Pack
x1 Tower Bridge
x1 Small Tower Balcony & Bridge Base
x1 Square Tower Balcony & Bridge Base
x1 Big Buttress Pack
x1 Ruined Wall
x1 Ruined Large Tower
x1 Siege Equipment
x1 Working Mangonel
x1 Stone Advanced Builder Set
x1 Arch Walls
x1 Mountain Floor Pack
x1 LED Castle Assortment
x1 LED Lantern Posts
x1 Straight Battlements
x2 Corner Battlements
x2 Cutout Corner Wall
x1 Erinthor Mountains
x1 Wall Spacers
It depends on what you are trying to achieve. It will do most everything I would want to do... so from that perspective it is perfect!

I am curious about some of your choices but nearly every piece can be used in many ways.

Wishing I knew how many days I had to countdown...

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:17 am

Yeah, I need to get at least one, maybe two. I'll get painted though, they look difficult to paint.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Kryzsko
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Kryzsko » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:35 am

Ya, thank goodness I ordered one painted and one unpainted.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:55 am

Now that we've seen the LED floors, I think we all should have ordered at least 2 of them. :)
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Gryphon
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Gryphon » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:46 am

OK Here is my order. Anything I will need to pickup post KS? Did I forget something? Order too much of something?
Thanks

Royal Stronghold
x3 Long Walls Pack
x1 Corner Walls
x2 Cube Spacer Pack
x1 Modular Wall of Doom
x3 Long Inside Walls Pack
x1 Small Tower Fortified
x1 Small Tower Palace
x2 Small Tower Batter Base
x1 Large Tower Fortified
x1 Large Tower Palace
x4 Batter Base Large Tower
x2 Suspended Parapet Pack
x2 Large Tower Roofs Pack
x1 Cathedral Roof
x1 Square Roof Platform Pack
x1 8x8 Floors
x1 Motorized Drawbridge Upgrade
x2 Stone Bridge Pack
x1 Tower Bridge
x1 Small Tower Balcony & Bridge Base
x1 Square Tower Balcony & Bridge Base
x1 Big Buttress Pack
x1 Ruined Wall
x1 Ruined Large Tower
x1 Siege Equipment
x1 Working Mangonel
x1 Stone Advanced Builder Set
x1 Arch Walls
x1 Mountain Floor Pack
x1 LED Castle Assortment
x1 LED Lantern Posts
x1 Straight Battlements
x2 Corner Battlements
x2 Cutout Corner Wall
x1 Erinthor Mountains
x1 Wall Spacers

scotbailey
Kobold
Kobold

Post by scotbailey » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:23 pm

Thanks geekjeff. Your counsel is always wise. I completed my order right before the deadline. I got everything you suggested and a "little" more--I actually went a pretty far overboard. I just have to have every piece.... Plus once this stuff is gone, who knows when it will be available again. For instance good luck getting some of the KS-3 stuff anymore. The only real downside to my buying too much is facing the raised eyebrows from my wife when the boxes show up.

geekjeff
Ogre
Ogre

Post by geekjeff » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:20 am

scotbailey wrote:ok. I suck. I have procrastinated too long and now I am panicking. The other campaigns were easy--I just bought the highest level, 2x monster packs, plus miscellaneous cool stuff so I had a least two of everything (I am completionist). But that would be crazy this time.
Hi Scott! Yeah, cutting it close aren't you. ;)

I can't do a complete build lost for you this morning, but can offer some pointers. Remember, there is no perfect build and you're ALWAYS going to find something you like more than expected, or want/need more of than you thought. The important thing is to get a solid base of parts to start from, and fortunately you're throwing a good pile of money at this so that shouldn't be a problem. =P

If you want both 4" and 6" towers and want to do huge builds like I posted in the RS thread, at your budget I'd suggest starting with a double Grand Citadel plus a Count's Castle. 8x stretch goals right out of the gate, and then Count's Castle is a high value for the price and a good start on 4" towers and the pieces needed to integrate them.

Get breakout packs for each of those, so you can do standalone towers if desired. Parapet pack for the 4" is definitely worth it at this level. That's all Fortified towers, add some large and small Palace packs if desired.

One Mega Battlements pack will cover a Grand Citadel with two towers attached plus 4 more wall sections (one straight walls pack) so getting two Mega Battlements should cover all of the above plus a bit. That could support up to 6 towers integrated if you're not using the Transitions anywhere else, if you're doing more towers than that each additional Transition Battlements will support 2 towers.

If you have a big investment in City Builder parts already, pickup some Square Roof Platforms (grab at least 3 of you want to do Double Thick Walls), Advanced Builder packs, and MWOD packs (pair up with Wall Spacer packs to make your own modular Straight Walls sets, also usable as inside walls. You don't need Wall Platforms for if you're using Battlements.

Count's Castle gives you one full set of Insode Corner Walls, if you want to do more than one finished castle at a time you'll need more. Get a Citadel/Grand Citadel Inside Walls pack for that, also provides 11 inside walls and 4 posts to support double thick wall building.

You don't need the actual Double Thick kits since Roof Platforms are better than Wall Platforms when using Battlements, but the Citadel Double Thick kit gives you good options for the corners and a big chunk of Cubes to start. Maybe get that plus two more Cube Spacer packs.

Michael Little
Kobold
Kobold

Post by Michael Little » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:00 am

Dear Geekjeff,
I used this build nearly identical to your suggestions! Thank you so much.

Michael Little
Kobold
Kobold

Post by Michael Little » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:36 pm

Thank you! I appreciate the time you took!

geekjeff
Ogre
Ogre

Post by geekjeff » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:12 pm

Build for Michael on the Kickstarter comments -

As you suggested, this is a build starting with a Grand Citadel pledge, with a $3k budget and everything painted. It takes an eye towards integration with City Builder, and buildings on crags/integrated with cliffs in the vein of Ptolus.

This gives you a fully finished, 2 large tower fortress a bit bigger than a Grand Citadel with full Battlements, or potentially over 5 feet of City Wall topped with Battlements, or a 8 story Watchtower/Wizard Tower on top of a nice sized bit of mountain terrain.

Base Castle Parts
$980.00 Grand Citadel
$148.00 GC Inside Walls
$46.00 Cube Spacers (I might go with two sets here)
$78.00 Straight Walls
$24.00 MWOD
$46.00 Tower Breakout
$32.00 Large Tower Roof
$89.00 Motorized Drawbridge
$295.00 Battlements Megapack (if you prefer Crenellations, those are $150)

CBS Integration Bits
$58.00 Roof Platforms
$166.00 Stone Advanced Builderx2
$33.00 Square Tower Bridge Base
$35.00 Large Tower Bridge Base
$42.00 Tower Bridgex2
$48.00 Stone Bridgex2
$59.00 Large Batter Base
$48.00 Cathedral Roof

Mountains & Cliffs
$385.00 Erinthor Mountains
$65.00 Mountain Cliffs
$80.00 Mountain Elevation

Décor & Misc
$29.00 LED Floor Pack
$28.00 LED Lantern Posts
$25.00 Ruined Wall
$30.00 Ruined Tower

$2,869.00

That leaves $130 to play with for whatever flavor pieces strike your fancy - the Siege Engines, Necromancer or Runic decor packs, more LED stuff, a Kobold horde, etc.

The main items you're going to use to integrate into your CBS builds are the Extreme Offset Walls in those Advanced Builder packs (also in the Battlements Mega and Drawbridge upgrade) which allow you to line up doors properly when transitioning from City Builder to Castle Walls. The various tower bridge bases are good for this too, transitioning from City Builder to Large Towers. You could use this for pedestrian access between levels in a cliffside city.

If you're building parts of a city like Ptolus, you really might consider working in 2 Erinthor Mountains packs somehow. Dropping the extra Cliff and Elevation packs and adding a second Erinthor would put you about $100 over budget here.

A trick to build up elevations which has been mentioned but isn't always illustrated super clearly, is that all the 8x8 floors (Flagstone and Mountain) have sockets underneath to accept City Builder posts upside down, and you can insert walls between all the posts to finish off the facade. You can see a bit of this in the Erinthor video linked below.

For perspective, this photo from the Kickstarter page uses a bit less than 1 Erinthor set.
This video Nate did is almost exactly one Erinthor.
https://ksr-video.imgix.net/assets/005/ ... 4_high.mp4

Edit: corrected typo, Stefan's cliff city (on the red tablecloth) was said to be around 1 Erinthor, not 2.
Last edited by geekjeff on Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.