Helping the Undecided

geekjeff
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Helping the Undecided

Post by geekjeff » Fri May 13, 2016 2:19 pm

Oh that's not so bad then! More money to start and if you're willing/resigned to paint... ;)

"Upgrading" from those 3 mountain packs to a full Erinthor Mountains would eat up $156. I think that's a good buy - as a rule, base pledges and any Mega Packs seem to be the best deals in a DF Kickstarter. Addons have a smaller effective markup when they hit the webstore, and saving shipping on those bigger heavier boxes helps a bunch too.

For perspective, this is one Erinthor Mountains pack:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/140378804 ... 854335360/
That's a whole new gaming environment to play with, or a huge expansion to your Caverns builds. I think you'd get a lot of mileage out of it.

Still got $113 to play with.
A bridge assortment would be great, Stone Bridge plus Tower Bridge plus Small Bridge/Balcony pack to use with your small towers would be $57.
I think a Large Tower Roof for $22 bucks is good, lets you totally changeup the look of that large tower.
LED Floors are a very cool flavor pack for only $25 (and very minor painting uncharge at only $29 painted, which I eye sideways a bit for pieces that detailed.)

BullMag
Goblin
Goblin

Post by BullMag » Fri May 13, 2016 1:47 pm

Thanks you for your explanation.

I think I also misspoke a bit.

My budget is 1K (outside of the Painted Tower I already got). So I guess that makes total budget of 1260.

I will probably end up going unpainted to make the budget (then see what that number is for painted). In your analysis - do you find that painting was almost always a similar percentage? or are there items that just have an awesome deal when it comes to painted version?

So what I have so far from your list
1x Counts Castle
1x Tower
1x Tower Trainsition
2x Peaks pack
1x Cliffs pack
1x Motorized Draw Bridge

So if my math is right, that means I have $269 bucks remaining. Anything else you recommend, or would switch around? I thought of Mountains mega pack, but I wonder if the KS2 is going to overlap with that a lot making it not as useful. Maybe some bridges?

This is the picture that I am really inspired to build!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/140378804 ... 252863252/

geekjeff
Ogre
Ogre

Post by geekjeff » Fri May 13, 2016 1:35 pm

Watchtower pledge is actually 3 bucks cheaper than buying the main parts a la carte, $190 versus $193 for 2x Large Fortified Tower and 1x Large Tower Battlements.
Plus you get the set of stretch goals and some bonus LED walls swapped in. Very strong value on that one.

Sorcerer's Sanctum is a good value IF you want to build that very specific building and combine Palace and Fortified towers and Runic and Gargoyle decor with those LEDs. Having to buy Tower Breakins kind of kills the savings though, if you want to attach it to a castle.

Doing Sorcerer's plus enough parts to make Count's Castle height towers, and buying all the castle parts a la carte (which saves some money but loses SGs) totals up to over $1000 unpainted by itself.

Dollar for dollar, the Count's Castle is probably the best deal in the whole Kickstarter in terms of "how much would it cost to build this with addons?"

BullMag
Goblin
Goblin

Post by BullMag » Fri May 13, 2016 1:09 pm

Thanks GeekJeff! I really love your reviews/showdowns by the way. I read each one in trying to make my decisions.

I think I may have to go painted, which I know kills the budget. All my ks1 stuff was unpainted and we rarely use it. I feel like having painted stuff will be much more in use cause it will look great. It will probably also force me to paint my KS1.

So can I ask why you suggest the watchtower over the Large Tower add-ons? Was this just for the SGs?

Oh and in your analysis - is the Counts Castle just a better starting point rather than doing Sorc Sanctum and getting ramparts & walls (or just a castle expert pledge with transitions?

geekjeff
Ogre
Ogre

Post by geekjeff » Fri May 13, 2016 12:57 pm

If I were still holding to a 1k budget like I originally intended (your will saves are greater than mine ;) ) I would have gone with this to get a nice sampler of this Kickstater's offerings.

All Unpainted to stretch the budget:
Count's Castle - $585
Watchtower - $190
Tower Transition - $23
2x Mountain Cliff Pack - $90
1x Mountain Peak Pack - $34
Manual Drawbridge upgrade - $57 (or 12 bucks more for motorized)

Total $979-991. Nicely tricked out Castle, one large standalone (or attachable) tower, enough mountains to surround the castle or use with your Caverns.

Could be expanded with 1x Straight Walls, 1x Ramparts Inside Walls/MWOD, 1x Ramparts Crenellations for $105 (Kickstarter price) to double the courtyard and make a 20x12" castle. Add whatever courtyard floors you want, KS1 Dungeon Tile floors would work ok. That's a pretty substantial structure when you actually lay it out on a table.

BullMag
Goblin
Goblin

Post by BullMag » Fri May 13, 2016 12:48 pm

yeah my concern is I don't have any KS3 stuff - so not sure I can take similar approach, unless I go buying CBS stuff. Id like to spend the money on the KS stuff, but not sure what all can be done with KS1.

And from a bang-for-buck - everything I read keeps saying the premade stuff is so much better. Problem is Id like 6 inch towers, and that's sorcs sanctum, or big kahuna. and sorc sanctum doesn't get me a castle look or feel at all

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Fri May 13, 2016 12:42 pm

I have decided to do the same right now - go Ramparts and then get a bunch of add-ons that I want to spice up my KS2 & KS3 sets. I am planning on putting a square tower on either side of the ramparts built from KS3 stuff & the Stone Castle Tower add-on. It won't be a full castle, but I think I will be able to set up a cool scene and I can always get more walls and round towers later :D

BullMag
Goblin
Goblin

Helping the Undecided

Post by BullMag » Fri May 13, 2016 12:32 pm

Hey guys - There are a lot of threads here for folks who have a bunch of KS3 stuff and spending over 1K.

I was not fortunate enough to have some expendable cash during KS3, but I have a lot of KS1 and KS2 stuff. I know KS2 stuff looks great with the mountains mega pack, but I am torn on how to integrate my KS 1 stuff because it seems to me its much better to have a bunch of scenes where your castle and your KS1 would intermix instead of one big courtyard.

Anyway, I am wondering what you guys may suggest for someone in my boat who is looking to keep spending under 1K. I really like the Towers (though I am concerned bout game play with 4" ones not really giving much space). And I am not really hell bent on all the small do-dads (so to speak) that come from SGs. I'm looking to the most flexibility in building cool scenic. Definitely a tower or two and an awesome castle face/entrance where the towers sit right next to the gatehouse, making it look menacing.

I started off with a pledge for WatchTower and was going to add to that, but now I am wondering if I should do Ramparts with a bunch of addons (and tower addons), or go to Counts Castle and just get mountains pack and a large tower addons.

I am open to all ideas! Please help!