Helping the Undecided

geekjeff
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Helping the Undecided

Post by geekjeff » Tue May 24, 2016 5:20 pm

Audles wrote:Huh, I'm glad I didn't look at at this thread before settling on my own. This could have dragged me back in toward considering castle pieces. I really like the gatehouse build you've got there.
There's still time...

Audles
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Audles » Tue May 24, 2016 4:00 pm

Huh, I'm glad I didn't look at at this thread before settling on my own. This could have dragged me back in toward considering castle pieces. I really like the gatehouse build you've got there.

geekjeff
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by geekjeff » Tue May 24, 2016 3:18 pm

Stormfury wrote:
Vegomatic wrote:Would you share the sketchup shapes when you have them done? Thanks!
+1, though I am terrified it might make me rethink my 'locked in' pledge... :)

Sure, although maybe I should wait until the pledge manager closes to preserve people's sanity and the (relative) safety of their poor, poor wallets. :lol:

Lady Sable's husband Foxwander posted one Sketchup file elsewhere on the forums, but I've been expanding quite a bit on it and correcting some scaling problems with some of the pieces it had.

Stormfury
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Stormfury » Tue May 24, 2016 2:23 pm

Vegomatic wrote:Would you share the sketchup shapes when you have them done? Thanks!
+1, though I am terrified it might make me rethink my 'locked in' pledge... :)
He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

Xeno Syncretic Order - Salvation Through Unity

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Tue May 24, 2016 2:06 pm

Would you share the sketchup shapes when you have them done? Thanks!

geekjeff
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by geekjeff » Tue May 24, 2016 1:30 am

Back view, so you can more easily see where the 4x4 Square Tower/City Builder floors are (blue) and where the 2x4 Advanced Builder floors (green) are.

Also just realized that I left all the Roof Platforms out of this, but it shouldn't really change how the build works overall.
Screen Shot 2016-05-24 at 12.28.13 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-05-24 at 12.28.13 AM.png (94.52 KiB) Viewed 3057 times

geekjeff
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by geekjeff » Tue May 24, 2016 1:25 am

Here's what I was talking about. The top platform above the Gatehouse and the outside edge of the double thick main wall I would do with Battlements, had to leave Crenellations there for now because I haven't finished modeling the Battlements pieces in Sketchup yet! :P
Screen Shot 2016-05-24 at 12.20.10 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-05-24 at 12.20.10 AM.png (116.86 KiB) Viewed 3025 times
The middle height wall sections flanking the Gatehouse, with the 4" towers on the front 3 levels high I'd keep Crenellations on.

For parts, this would require: Double Thick front wall, upgraded Gatehouse, 3 levels of 4" tower, 1 Advanced Builder, 1 Square Tower.

geekjeff
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by geekjeff » Mon May 23, 2016 11:16 pm

Typo - meant double wide walls

BullMag
Goblin
Goblin

Post by BullMag » Mon May 23, 2016 11:01 pm

geekjeff wrote:My current concept for a barbican I want to build: double high walls, one tier of CBS/Square Tower on each side. 4" round half-tower in front of that, so 3 levels high.
Wait - I'm confused. So double high walls would be 8" right? Also - how exactly does that work, does that mean that basically (from ground up) it is 2" solid, 2" hallway, 2" solid, 2" hallway?

And then when you say one tier - do you mean 4x4x2?

geekjeff
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by geekjeff » Sun May 22, 2016 3:23 pm

period3 wrote:There's a picture with the small tower battlements showing a half round small tower with battlements against what I think is a transition piece:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/140378804 ... 1692906/ke an inside corner with the current pieces. And any half-round tower projection involves inside corners.

If you can find a pic or video of such a think, please point me at it! :D
Yep, that is a Battlment Transition to the left. So it does fit physically, although it looks a little wonky. Some of that is just the nature of hand-cast protyotype pieces, though.

My current concept for a barbican I want to build: double high walls, one tier of CBS/Square Tower on each side. 4" round half-tower in front of that, so 3 levels high.
Roof platforms on top of all that, then one section of 2x4 floor from Advanced Builder on each side of the Drawbridge Winch section, effectively making the roof of that part of the building 4x8 instead of 4x4.
Top the main wall and the 4x8 with Battlements, top that 3-level-high section with the 4" half tower with Crenellations.

I think it will look nice and add some architectural interest to the front facade. It avoids having Battlements and Crenellations on the same level/wall section, which i think would look weird, and keeps the big chunky Battlement look front and center.

You could always do it with 6" towers too, but I like the contrast and this lets me go lightly into 4" towers since I'll already have a ton of 6".

Return to “Kickstarter 4 - Castles”