Submerging Gorgonite

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Submerging Gorgonite

Post by bernyleung » Tue May 23, 2017 11:00 am

Ditto here. I've never pre-washed Dwarvenite and the acrylics stay on fine. Never had a problem with flaking, even with "heavy" use.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Tue May 23, 2017 3:42 am

I have never washed a piece of dwarvenite except to get a first failed paint job off it.

Luckily that is generally easy if I do it quickly enough.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon May 22, 2017 11:10 pm

Steel molds don't require mold release like silicone, as far as I know.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Runeweaver
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Runeweaver » Mon May 22, 2017 10:57 pm

I've always washed the DFite. I assumed the Gorgonite would need washing. Wrong on that? Would love to stop washing it.

geekjeff
Ogre
Ogre

Post by geekjeff » Mon May 22, 2017 6:16 pm

I only pre-wash Dwarvenite before painting if I've let my kids handle it with dirty/sticky/PB&J/only-gods-know-what hands ahead of time.

Although, maybe peanut butter is actually the secret to get Caverns colors to really pop.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Mon May 22, 2017 5:49 pm

I've never noticed any release on the dwarvenite and thought there was something about them saying they don't use it on the PVC pieces. Though I did wash the portion I started painting from KS-1 before I heard that.
I then started painting the CBS Roofs and Tudor walls without any washing and have had zero problems with adhesion using Pokorney Paints on those. I'm not sure if washing is really a necessary step.
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon May 22, 2017 5:29 pm

You could always take a damp sponge with a little soap and scrub, then take a damp sponge without soap and scrub until you feel you've cleaned the piece. That way very little if any water would go into the seams. You just have to be sure to get all of the soap off.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Blue Prophet
Orc
Orc

Post by Blue Prophet » Mon May 22, 2017 3:14 pm

Are you washing all pieces including those with metal in them? That includes a lot of stuff in KS4. I'm nervous about rust. I still haven't painted my CBS roofs, so not sure if I will wash them. I think I didn't wash the couple metal filled CBS walls I painted.

Runeweaver
Ogre
Ogre

Submerging Gorgonite

Post by Runeweaver » Sun May 21, 2017 10:38 pm

I purchased a bunch of stuff on KS4, much of it unpainted to make my coin go a bit further. Plus I like my paint style a bit better. I have been slaving away at painting the monster amounts of stuff I have, and I'm about 40% done. However I have left the walls (gorgonite) until now. Thing is I scrub all my pieces before painting as I don't want to take the chance of some left over release agent on the piece. That said, I was concerned about submerging the gorgonite, as I didn't know if it would take in water or not. I scrubbed them quickly and didn't fully submerge them, but doused them a ton. Good news...they seem water tight.

Wanted to share this tid bit of info with others out there that may have run into the same concern as I. Not saying to go all wild or anything and let them set in water overnight, but you should be able to rinse them well once scrubbed up. Worked for me.