Problems with the LED Lantern Posts?

Arcarius2001
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Problems with the LED Lantern Posts?

Post by Arcarius2001 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:53 am

I received a set of lantern posts this week. 3 were ok but the other one had to be fixed. I would have had no idea how to do that without patransom's posts. Thanks again!
(And it's definitely advantageous to have a young daughter who likes beading.)

Heresy
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Heresy » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:39 pm

Thr first one out of the box had this issue and I had to take it apart (which was a PITA) to fix it. So the rest of them I preemptively used a toothpick and gel superglue to glue the socket into place. So far they have all stayed in place and while tedious it was a lot easier than taking the posts apart.

I also had 3 of the socket bases with issues, 2 were the glue not holding the socket in place but, fortunately, these are simple to repair. The other one the red wire from the LED was not connected to the switch, kind of a pain to get the glue blob off of the connections to fix but not terrible.

I hope DF is talking to the factory about these issues\quality control for DoD.

patransom
Goblin
Goblin

Post by patransom » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:39 pm

Arcarius2001 wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:43 am
Thanks, patransom, for those pics and tutorial. I have been hesitant to get the lantern posts due to this problem. Your fix seems easy enough for me to pull the trigger on them. Thanks again!
You're welcome! But I wouldn't necessarily call the fix "easy." Maybe more like moderate. Some pillars are stuck together better than others and require careful work with a sharp tool (see the new picture I posted) to open up without damaging them. You also want to be careful with the glue to avoid getting it in the socket holes. I've managed to avoid both problems so far, but I've been spending 30-40 minutes on each pillar, being careful.

patransom
Goblin
Goblin

Post by patransom » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:33 pm

One more picture from my ongoing lantern post repair project. On this pillar, I took the whole half off for better access. The picture shows how there's plenty of support for the switch and its blob of glue. If only they'd designed it with a similar diagonal bit behind the socket, maybe it wouldn't have ended up hanging loose like it is in the picture.

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:32 am

Shame they couldn't figure out where the stresses would be located and plan accordingly. Two of my eight were bad out of the box - just a matter of time before the rest go, based on those internal pics.

Arcarius2001
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Arcarius2001 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:43 am

Thanks, patransom, for those pics and tutorial. I have been hesitant to get the lantern posts due to this problem. Your fix seems easy enough for me to pull the trigger on them. Thanks again!

patransom
Goblin
Goblin

Post by patransom » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:17 pm

oddbender wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:08 pm
I upload my pictures to Imgur.com, select the picture once uploaded, and then copy the code from the "BBCode" option and paste it here. I works great.
Thanks! Images fixed.

oddbender
Orc
Orc

Post by oddbender » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:08 pm

patransom wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:03 pm
I guess posting images from dropbox doesn't work. Any suggestions about where to stick pictures so they can show up here?
I upload my pictures to Imgur.com, select the picture once uploaded, and then copy the code from the "BBCode" option and paste it here. I works great.

patransom
Goblin
Goblin

Post by patransom » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:03 pm

I guess posting images from dropbox doesn't work. Any suggestions about where to stick pictures so they can show up here?

patransom
Goblin
Goblin

Post by patransom » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:55 pm

I have a full set of four with sockets that pushed in at the slightest force. Here's a photo log of how I fixed one of them. Seems to be holding up so far, so I'll probably use the same steps on the other three.

Shows the socket pushed in...

Dissected at the cunningly hidden seam in the stonework...

The seam was held together pretty firmly, so these are the tools I used for the dissection...

Here's the problem: that blob of glue is holding the socket and wires together, but it's doing nothing to hold the socket to the pillar itself. There's also no structural support at at all behind the socket...

I happened to have these little glass beads lying around...

So, in addition to putting some super glue between the socket and the post, I decided to add some support. The glass bead was the perfect size to glue to the pillar behind the socket.

After sticking the seam back together, I've swapped out LEDs on the repaired pillar a bunch of times and it's holding up. The glass bead support might be overkill, but I can push pretty hard on that socket now and not risk glue failure. YMMV.
Last edited by patransom on Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.