Leaked Photo #1

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Leaked Photo #1

Post by kitenerd » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:15 pm

I read the same thing... I am holding out hope that there may someday (march 6th?) be a module/minis bundle

As for Scenario specific terrain... lots of ideas come to mind: magic fountain, enchanted statue, pits and traps of all types, anything with a hidden door or compartment, special door (portal), torture chamber, alchemist lab... virtually any terrain if it is central to the completion of the module - as much as folks hate limited edition stuff, i would love to see a module bundled with 1 special wall/door/thing - that would just be cool both from a gaming and a collecting standpoint - what would be very cool is if it were a riff off an existing piece (say Game Tiles stairs except as a ramp - halfway up, you swap the stairs for the ramp and the PC's slide down to the lower level... plus the ogre is alerted to the fact that they are there! - this is just one idea, and not even a great one, but it illustrates the point)
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Post by JenneyOC » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:00 pm

I may be completely wrong here... but I seem to remember a forum thread where Stefan mentioned that the grab-bag minis were ones that were part of (not the free scenario) but a bigger Valoria RPG scenario... and that they were looking at releasing scenario specific minis.... I remember this only because someone suggested scenario specific terrain pieces and it made me stop and think just what a scenario specific terrain piece would be...

but there may be a plan in the future with the grab-bag minis that we just don't know about yet... shrug. I may be wrong and I apologize up front if I am, but i will have to see if I can locate this thread that i remember reading...

Squatting Monkey
Kobold
Kobold

Post by Squatting Monkey » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:41 pm

That's my point! I wouldn't want to pay for painted if they are the same quality --I'd rather paint them myself.

FelixDraconis
Goblin
Goblin

Post by FelixDraconis » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:17 am

Squatting Monkey wrote:I was a little disappointed with my grab-bag minis. Not the minis themselves, but the paint jobs seemed far less impressive than all of the images I've seen of others. Especially my beer-wielding denizen --hopefully their paint job is not indicative of the quality of purchased minis. After all, these were free!
Agreed, but I'm not going to complain much about freebies. It was actually surprising they were painted.

The one downside that DF should consider is whether the free minis would discourage people from buying the 'real' ones painted.

dafrca
Ogre
Ogre

Post by dafrca » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:44 pm

Squatting Monkey wrote:I was a little disappointed with my grab-bag minis. Not the minis themselves, but the paint jobs seemed far less impressive than all of the images I've seen of others. Especially my beer-wielding denizen --hopefully their paint job is not indicative of the quality of purchased minis. After all, these were free!
I would be more than happy to take them off your hands. For those of us who can't paint, they look just fine. :D

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:30 pm

Nice pic, glad to see it is more of a normal pic, without all the perspective, background coloring and mist. A lot easier to see what it really is.

As for the minis, yes, I also agree the description in the KS, and lack of any communication about the change later could have been better. I also assumed I would get some rats, guardsmen and townsfolk, and I was perfectly happy with that.

I was not expecting new sculpts or the same minis for each pledge level.

It worked out and I really don't have a complaint, it just could have been clearer.

BTW, why are concept art pictures still in the KSIII store?
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Squatting Monkey
Kobold
Kobold

Post by Squatting Monkey » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:09 pm

I was a little disappointed with my grab-bag minis. Not the minis themselves, but the paint jobs seemed far less impressive than all of the images I've seen of others. Especially my beer-wielding denizen --hopefully their paint job is not indicative of the quality of purchased minis. After all, these were free!

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:16 pm

Jefflatt -

follow Lostpict's lead and order a Kirrix off eBay - super cheap ($2) and looks fantastic

http://dwarvenforge.com/forum/viewtopic ... rix#p96061

i did and i am very happy with mine!
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Mobius
Orc
Orc

Post by Mobius » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:50 pm

All DF products are great. I love my KS3 battlements, and they look great on the table.

The new KS4 walls are incredibly impressive, but that doesn't make the KS3 walls suddenly less good than they were. Both are great products: one super-deluxe, one for smaller builds/budgets.

Audles
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Audles » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:37 pm

jchunick wrote:
Audles wrote:I still like the narrow passages better, personally. They're more useful as they can double as multiple things. Also, they seem like they'll store more easily. That said, I'll probably get some of the new walls to supplement my narrow passages (especially if they're a core pledge item).
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the new castle walls, especially for storage. But you're right that the narrow passage walls work well and have other uses such as their namesake, 'narrow passages'. I got more myself in KS3.
I figure that they were inspiration for the new wall design - I would even bet on that, but I don't think I've ever asked Nate if that was the case.
Totes! I'm looking forward to seeing how the new ones work. I can definitely see the value in having a set as a playable interior space.

But man, Narrow Passages are just so useful for so many different applications: Walls! Supports for Levels! Narrow Passages! Interior Support for Caverns without Buying Elevation Blocks! Supporting Structure for Sewers Under Roads!

I owe most of these ideas to Nate's unending creativity in his builds.