Leaked Photo #2

Smogma
Orc
Orc

Re: Leaked Photo #2

Post by Smogma » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:19 pm

FelixDraconis wrote:Mostly I don't want to start collecting non modular sets of terrain. I think I'd be done as a collector if we transitioned to that. As nice as that might look. And it does look nice!
I can understand and relate to that. I wasn't into CBS myself. Like you, I prefer the "2D" 2x2 tile system of Dungeons & Caverns to the "3D" systems like City Builder and Castles. Of course, the 3D tiles look great as dioramas and in pictures, but for play... I'm happiest sticking with the 2x2 tiles.

I think KS4 will have enough to support the older sets to keep us happy. Sewers turned out great, even though I was worried it would be a pain with all the smaller pieces.

FelixDraconis
Goblin
Goblin

Post by FelixDraconis » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:07 pm

Smogma wrote:
FelixDraconis wrote: work with... presumably, a specially made rounded wall section... specialized pieces that only work in a single predefined setting.
I'm going to make an educated guess that these stairs are made to fit (both height and curvature) the rounded tower wall pieces we have already seen. Probably they hug the wall when placed either inside or outside of the rounded tower.

Doesn't mean you couldn't put them in a dungeon... but yeah, they certainly aren't 2"x2" tiles.
I'd be ecstatic (& relieved) if they were a 90 degree rotation across a 6"x6" area. Then I could put it on top of base dungeon/cavern/floor tiles and have it line up with something 4" or 6" high (2 or 3 tiles worth).

Mostly I don't want to start collecting non modular sets of terrain. I think I'd be done as a collector if we transitioned to that. As nice as that might look. And it does look nice!

Smogma
Orc
Orc

Post by Smogma » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:43 pm

FelixDraconis wrote: work with... presumably, a specially made rounded wall section... specialized pieces that only work in a single predefined setting.
I'm going to make an educated guess that these stairs are made to fit (both height and curvature) the rounded tower wall pieces we have already seen. Probably they hug the wall when placed either inside or outside of the rounded tower.

Doesn't mean you couldn't put them in a dungeon... but yeah, they certainly aren't 2"x2" tiles.

lostpict
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by lostpict » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:42 pm

;)
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:33 pm

lostpict wrote:Griffintamer,

It looks fabulous.

So the world is dying to know, is this an innie or an outie...

I think it is easier to drag bodies down widdershins.
Who knows, maybe it could function as both...?
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

dndgamer
Ogre
Ogre

Post by dndgamer » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:32 pm

Looks like the stairs used for the colosseum...
--Semper Fidelis

lostpict
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by lostpict » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:25 pm

Griffintamer,

It looks fabulous.

So the world is dying to know, is this an innie or an outie and does it have an evil mirrored twin?

I think it is easier to drag bodies down widdershins.
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

FelixDraconis
Goblin
Goblin

Post by FelixDraconis » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:23 pm

As much as I like this, I hope it doesn't mean that we're going to have too many one-off elements. The primary reason I like DF tiles is because they're that - tiles.

The city is a pretty good compromise, however I was pretty disappointed at how the floor sections aren't quite 2 tiles wide. This flaw makes the two slightly incompatible, if only by a few millimeters. Odd.

The staircase shown here has the issue that it isn't a 45 or 90 degree rotation*. So it won't work with anything except, presumably, a specially made rounded wall section. Hopefully there's some reason why it was designed that way, but it's going to be frustrating (and lower the value to me) if we increasingly get specialized pieces that only work in a single predefined setting.

* Unless the photography is just throwing me off. It looks more like 70 or 80 degrees of rotation, which isn't going to match up with anything known.
Last edited by FelixDraconis on Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GriffinTamer
Orc
Orc

Post by GriffinTamer » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:10 pm

Thanks for the article link lostpict! Definitely interesting. If you stop to think about it, it doesn't really make that much sense that castle architects would be too obsessive about the CW/CCW stair layout, particularly if it interfered with other more practical design concerns. I say "more practical" because how many fights actually took place on stairs? I know that if it was me defending the tower, I'd wait at a landing or a doorway; in most of the castles I've been in, the stairs tend to be very tight (not much room to swing a blade regardless of whether you're right- or left-handed), and often there is scarcely a place to stand outside the door to each level; any attacker there would be at a huge disadvantage against anyone just standing inside the doorway, with plenty of space and a nice flat surface underfoot.

To answer kitenerd's earlier question about who sculpted which piece… most of the items in this project, at least the main structural pieces, are a team effort. The general rule is that Stefan gives everything a final once-over to make sure he's happy with it, and to ensure that there is a consistent style maintained, but often multiple other hands do some of the preliminary work, sometimes taking it to near-completion. On the stairs for example I built the armature, added the clay and made sure all the dimensions were exact, and then did a quick layout of the stone; Nina then roughed in the stonework before Stefan added the final touches. At the risk of sounding grandiose-- in some ways the studio operates a bit like one of the old workshops in the Renaissance, with a group of artists working together to realize the master's vision.

jonmilton
Orc
Orc

Post by jonmilton » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:38 pm

lostpict wrote:Here is a paper on the whole CW & CCW stair theories and extant examples of each:

http://www.militaryarchitecture.com/ind ... stair.html

That was an amazing read, thank you good sir.