Leaked Photo #2

blinky
Orc
Orc

Re: Leaked Photo #2

Post by blinky » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:57 pm

I like.
It looks like there is room to have the figures on the stairs, with the bases tucked in under the flag stone to hold them in place. Sweet.

lostpict
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by lostpict » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:54 pm

Here is a paper on the whole CW & CCW stair theories and extant examples of each:

http://www.militaryarchitecture.com/ind ... stair.html
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:54 pm

also depends on width of passageway... (are there walls either side of stairs?)

Is this is intended to be used with an open area on "concave" side?

if so defenders are hosed - unless they are southpaws...

willmontgomery
Goblin
Goblin

Post by willmontgomery » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:32 pm

jackattack wrote:If stairs spiral to favor the defender, then the direction of the spiral depends on which way the defenders expect to advance and/or retreat.
Practically speaking, the direction of the spiral would depend on whether they were exterior stairs or interior stairs -- since it's the wall that hinders the attackers when they try to wield their weapons. The spiral in the photo would hinder attackers -- presumed to be ascending -- only on exterior stairs. On interior stairs, that same spiral would hinder the defenders. Again, I am assuming that defenders have the higher position.

dafrca
Ogre
Ogre

Post by dafrca » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:06 pm

Nice texture on the steps. It has a nice feel to it.

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:51 am

Another set of stairs curved in the opposite direction would allow us to create another type (or two) of "grand" staircase for aesthetic value in various settings.

If stairs spiral to favor the defender, then the direction of the spiral depends on which way the defenders expect to advance and/or retreat.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:40 am

lostpict wrote:I have been in castles in which the stairs spiraled CW and CCW; now doubt this depends upon the architectural constraints in addition to optimal defensive configuration. I suspect we will experience those same constraints when we build or our dream homes from Dwarvenite.

I have played two large skirmish games so far with the CBS stuff. The stair (and ladders) jostling and misalignment became so disruptive to play that we ended up setting the stairs aside. Of course, the style of play will affect this a lot. If you disassemble buildings and don't keep restacking them it is not a challenge. But in our case it was disruptive. I am probably going to grind off just enough from the bottoms of my CBS stairs to make interference a non-issue and stick them down with "blue tack". I may also shorten the ladders and glue them to stands for the same reasons.

OBTW, I did not anticipate this would be a disruptive to using CBS in skirmish gaming until I had some players engaged. I am sure that different buyers will have different desires and experiences based on how they use their toys.
The old the model has a one inch base so it can not move through a 3/4 inch door gamet. :)
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:25 am

+1 to this. Love them.

My first introduction to DF was with basic dungeon sets, back in 2001 or so. My FLGS had a setup out, and they used the basic dungeon and Wicked sets for it. I remember being struck by how cool the details were -- the wooden benches and tables, the torches in their holders on the walls, and the spiral stairs.

The dungeon sets, IMO, get a little less love because so much of the later stuff was flashier (ROTA, DOE, the various cavern water sets, Hellscape). And the dungeon sets ARE a little plain if you don't add some flash to them. But a basic dungeon room with a spiral stair in the corner, a chest against the wall, under a wooden table... it's just so atmospheric. I love it.

And the spiral stairs add so much CHARACTER to a room. I used them every time I did a layout.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:15 am

whyteshark wrote:This will sound weird, but stairs and bridges seem to make me excited when it comes to miniatures. Very cool piece and beautifully sculpted.
I thought I was alone in that sentiment as well... so at least there's one other person who doesn't think it's weird. :-)

Funnily, I was voicing this same sentiment to my wife recently when I received my KS rewards from the most recent Acheson Creations KS... it was mostly stairs I got.
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

whyteshark
Goblin
Goblin

Post by whyteshark » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:07 am

This will sound weird, but stairs and bridges seem to make me excited when it comes to miniatures. Very cool piece and beautifully sculpted.
James Gordon, Professor of Valoria