Leaked Photo #2

willmontgomery
Goblin
Goblin

Re: Leaked Photo #2

Post by willmontgomery » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:32 pm

jackattack wrote:If stairs spiral to favor the defender, then the direction of the spiral depends on which way the defenders expect to advance and/or retreat.
Practically speaking, the direction of the spiral would depend on whether they were exterior stairs or interior stairs -- since it's the wall that hinders the attackers when they try to wield their weapons. The spiral in the photo would hinder attackers -- presumed to be ascending -- only on exterior stairs. On interior stairs, that same spiral would hinder the defenders. Again, I am assuming that defenders have the higher position.

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:54 pm

also depends on width of passageway... (are there walls either side of stairs?)

Is this is intended to be used with an open area on "concave" side?

if so defenders are hosed - unless they are southpaws...

lostpict
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by lostpict » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:54 pm

Here is a paper on the whole CW & CCW stair theories and extant examples of each:

http://www.militaryarchitecture.com/ind ... stair.html
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

blinky
Orc
Orc

Post by blinky » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:57 pm

I like.
It looks like there is room to have the figures on the stairs, with the bases tucked in under the flag stone to hold them in place. Sweet.

jonmilton
Orc
Orc

Post by jonmilton » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:38 pm

lostpict wrote:Here is a paper on the whole CW & CCW stair theories and extant examples of each:

http://www.militaryarchitecture.com/ind ... stair.html

That was an amazing read, thank you good sir.

GriffinTamer
Orc
Orc

Post by GriffinTamer » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:10 pm

Thanks for the article link lostpict! Definitely interesting. If you stop to think about it, it doesn't really make that much sense that castle architects would be too obsessive about the CW/CCW stair layout, particularly if it interfered with other more practical design concerns. I say "more practical" because how many fights actually took place on stairs? I know that if it was me defending the tower, I'd wait at a landing or a doorway; in most of the castles I've been in, the stairs tend to be very tight (not much room to swing a blade regardless of whether you're right- or left-handed), and often there is scarcely a place to stand outside the door to each level; any attacker there would be at a huge disadvantage against anyone just standing inside the doorway, with plenty of space and a nice flat surface underfoot.

To answer kitenerd's earlier question about who sculpted which piece… most of the items in this project, at least the main structural pieces, are a team effort. The general rule is that Stefan gives everything a final once-over to make sure he's happy with it, and to ensure that there is a consistent style maintained, but often multiple other hands do some of the preliminary work, sometimes taking it to near-completion. On the stairs for example I built the armature, added the clay and made sure all the dimensions were exact, and then did a quick layout of the stone; Nina then roughed in the stonework before Stefan added the final touches. At the risk of sounding grandiose-- in some ways the studio operates a bit like one of the old workshops in the Renaissance, with a group of artists working together to realize the master's vision.

FelixDraconis
Goblin
Goblin

Post by FelixDraconis » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:23 pm

As much as I like this, I hope it doesn't mean that we're going to have too many one-off elements. The primary reason I like DF tiles is because they're that - tiles.

The city is a pretty good compromise, however I was pretty disappointed at how the floor sections aren't quite 2 tiles wide. This flaw makes the two slightly incompatible, if only by a few millimeters. Odd.

The staircase shown here has the issue that it isn't a 45 or 90 degree rotation*. So it won't work with anything except, presumably, a specially made rounded wall section. Hopefully there's some reason why it was designed that way, but it's going to be frustrating (and lower the value to me) if we increasingly get specialized pieces that only work in a single predefined setting.

* Unless the photography is just throwing me off. It looks more like 70 or 80 degrees of rotation, which isn't going to match up with anything known.
Last edited by FelixDraconis on Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lostpict
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by lostpict » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:25 pm

Griffintamer,

It looks fabulous.

So the world is dying to know, is this an innie or an outie and does it have an evil mirrored twin?

I think it is easier to drag bodies down widdershins.
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

dndgamer
Ogre
Ogre

Post by dndgamer » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:32 pm

Looks like the stairs used for the colosseum...
--Semper Fidelis

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:33 pm

lostpict wrote:Griffintamer,

It looks fabulous.

So the world is dying to know, is this an innie or an outie...

I think it is easier to drag bodies down widdershins.
Who knows, maybe it could function as both...?
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

Return to “Pre-Kickstarter News”