Leaked Photo #2

lostpict
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Leaked Photo #2

Post by lostpict » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:52 am

I have been in castles in which the stairs spiraled CW and CCW; no doubt this depends upon the architectural constraints in addition to optimal defensive configuration. I suspect we will experience those same constraints when we build our dream homes from Dwarvenite.

I have played two large skirmish games so far with the CBS stuff. The stair (and ladders) jostling and misalignment became so disruptive to play that we ended up setting the stairs aside. Of course, the style of play will affect this a lot. If you disassemble buildings and don't keep restacking them it is not a challenge. But in our case it was disruptive. I am probably going to grind off just enough from the bottoms of my CBS stairs to make interference a non-issue and stick them down with "blue tack". I may also shorten the ladders and glue them to stands for the same reasons.

OBTW, I did not anticipate this would be a disruptive to using CBS in skirmish gaming until I had some players engaged. I am sure that different buyers will have different desires and experiences based on how they use their toys.
Last edited by lostpict on Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:42 am

lostpict wrote:A stair that had a magnet to hold it in position against a wall would be ideal. Not likely to be jostled when an upper story is removed or replaced. I wonder if there are stairs that spiral the opposite directions?
Stairs spiral to give the defender an advantage. I will guess no.

I like the compromise between esthetic and playability.Magnets are easily added but I do not think they would be necessary for this part.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

lostpict
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by lostpict » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:28 am

A stair that had a magnet to hold it in position against a wall would be ideal. Not likely to be jostled when an upper story is removed or replaced. I wonder if there are stairs that spiral the opposite directions?
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

geekjeff
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by geekjeff » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:46 am

Even if the step isn't quite large enough for a mini to balance on, check that little overhanging lip on each step - looks about perfect for a standard slotta type base to slip under and hold your mini on the step. Brilliant! :D

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:45 am

Is this an "officially" leaked photo or something someone posted without permission?

I like the stairs!

EDIT: Nevermind, I see it on Stefan's FB. :)
Last edited by AnimeSensei on Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
106 Resin and 202 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

mdauck
Goblin
Goblin

Post by mdauck » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:21 am

Awesome Stairs.!

Silvenger
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Silvenger » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:11 am

Is it an inner or an outer stair? I think we'll get both. And I guess that the rounded stair inside the tower can end in the upper floor, and continue with another identical piece but...

What about the stair outside the tower? Do you think we'll be able to build a spiral stair that leads to the upper part of a high tower? I mean, could they be magnet stairs outside the tower, so we can connect them until they reach the top battlements?

I don't know, but for sure it'd be cool ;)
Knight of Valoria.

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:04 am

There are 9 steps on the curved stair piece pictured -- classic DF stairs went up 10 steps (counting the top landing). However, these steps appear to be taller due to the overhang on each (enough to tuck a standard miniature base under?) so there's no way to determine actual height without another piece for comparison.

The fieldstone texture is nice, but I wish DF would make some effort to make pieces from multiple KSes more visually compatible with each other. Maybe we'll get lucky and there will also be a worked stone version that matches pieces from KS1.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

Mydienon
Orc
Orc

Post by Mydienon » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:09 am

Those steps look large enough that a miniature could stand on them. Awesome!

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:48 am

That is a nice picture and very useful KSIV or not.

I agree that stairs should not go through the floor but only up to the base of the floor to make moving things a lot easier.

If pieces were made primarily by one person could we know who made the piece?
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria