Teaser Texture Photo

Himajin
Orc
Orc

Re: Teaser Texture Photo

Post by Himajin » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:14 am

I agree that the contrast between the raw dwarvenite and the paint color chosen has a lot to do with the perceived difference in quality between resin and the KS1/2 pieces. It makes any poorly painted pieces stand out.

For the KS3 pieces, I only really have a problem with the painting of the plain stone walls. Quite a few of mine have been painted rather half-heartedly, and have barely any paint on them at all. I also had an issue with wet paint on the stone floors, but I'm hoping that will resolve itself over time.

Another thing I wish they'd done is add a texture similar to the stone walls to the side of the stone floors. That would go a long way toward alleviating the "stripy" look of multi-level stone buildings.

In any case, I'm excited to see how KS4 pans out, and hoping I can actually afford a decent amount.

Jonathan
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Jonathan » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:17 pm

jchunick wrote:
AnimeSensei wrote:I think the dungeon tiles could have looked a lot better with the recommended gray paint first. Too bad the factory skipped the step. :(
I agree. The grey tones down the stark contrast between the base tile black and the Stone Edge dry brush.
Having just recently tried my hand at painting some pieces in the KS1 paint scheme, I'd definitely have to agree that the layer of base gray helps even out the tone of the dungeon paint style a lot.

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Post by JenneyOC » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:38 pm

FelixDraconis wrote:I can't see the seams in the wall, but of course this is a prototype so probably not properly modularized yet. Or they're considering things like 2x2 walls. Tough to say from the photo. :D
ohhh what a great idea...
big walls...

whyteshark
Goblin
Goblin

Post by whyteshark » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:32 am

This is why I buy unpainted. With Dungeons and Caverns (I got Dungeons post KS), I took a few days and just focussed the time, research and effort on getting them painted. If you don't paint - buy painted. If you do paint and are not fans of the painted versions, buy unpainted and give it the time you want. I am really picky with paint apps, so if I screw it up, it's on me, not DF. I also love having the creative freedom to paint these 'my way'. My caverns have a reddish tint to them that makes them really stand out from others. I also changed my water colours too. I will post pics when I get off work. Personally, my favorite part of getting new DF pieces is painting them.
James Gordon, Professor of Valoria

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:23 am

AnimeSensei wrote:I think the dungeon tiles could have looked a lot better with the recommended gray paint first. Too bad the factory skipped the step. :(
I agree. The grey tones down the stark contrast between the base tile black and the Stone Edge dry brush.
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:38 am

I think the dungeon tiles could have looked a lot better with the recommended gray paint first. Too bad the factory skipped the step. :(
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:45 am

A few more dungeon shots to show off the contrast of how the flagstones look with the more subtle paint job. Also, my favorite DF piece of all time -- the mermaid fountain.
Attachments
148.jpg
148.jpg (389.99 KiB) Viewed 4474 times
141.jpg
141.jpg (415.47 KiB) Viewed 4474 times
070.jpg
070.jpg (423.73 KiB) Viewed 4474 times
052.jpg
052.jpg (375.3 KiB) Viewed 4474 times

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:29 am

I do recognize that better paint would mean higher cost. But if it makes such a huge difference for some of the designs -- like castles -- it feels like it might just come with the territory. And, yes, I should have noted the unpainted option. For me, it's unworkable. I buy at too large a scale. ;) But for people who can do it, that's actually one of the things that brought this to my attention. The sculpts on the Dwarvenite pieces are just as good as the resin, if not better in some instances. But the final product, in places at least, doesn't look QUITE as nice. Because of the factory paint.

Here is an assortment of pictures to show off the differences. You can see that the resin paintjobs are more subtle, a little more muted. As a result, the underlying sculpt is what grabs the eye. You see the contours of the rock in the caverns, you see the individual flagstones in the dungeon walls. The KS equivalents, by contrast, have that "static" effect of high-contrast drybrushing. It washes away the difference between the walls and floor, it collapses depth and distance. With the caverns, if you put a bunch of stalagmites near each other, it becomes an incoherent mess. :(

The caverns and dungeons still look AWESOME when it comes to making a whole layout. The design is very strong, and a windy cavern layout or a dungeon maze are both really great. And the dungeons have enough other cool stuff that in the end they still look really solid. But the caverns, I'm afraid, they just really suffer for me in comparison with the resin.

I don't want to sound overly critical - my activity for the past few months has shown how much I love this stuff. And the CBS pieces are definitely a high watermark for the factory paint of Dwarvenite. I have no issues at all with the streets (so crucial!) or any of the Tudor pieces or balconies or 90% of it. Some of the stone walls still suffer a bit from this high-contrast drybrushing, and so do some of the battlements. But, really, the new stuff inspires a lot of confidence. I'm only posting this reminder of the past, like I said, so I can encourage everyone at DF to make sure the Castles KS, in addition to all its other leaps forward, also gives us the best factory paint we've ever seen. And I put forward the resin sets as a model of precisely what I'd like to see.
Attachments
IMG_8617.jpg
IMG_8617.jpg (382.24 KiB) Viewed 4466 times
IMG_8565.jpg
IMG_8565.jpg (399.1 KiB) Viewed 4466 times
IMG_8215.jpg
IMG_8215.jpg (440.84 KiB) Viewed 4466 times
358.jpg
358.jpg (428.96 KiB) Viewed 4466 times
354.jpg
354.jpg (424.38 KiB) Viewed 4466 times
122.jpg
122.jpg (428.2 KiB) Viewed 4466 times
088.jpg
088.jpg (382.96 KiB) Viewed 4466 times
061.jpg
061.jpg (438.11 KiB) Viewed 4466 times
059-940ab7b82c525f98619be39d19ee67ea.jpg
059-940ab7b82c525f98619be39d19ee67ea.jpg (429.65 KiB) Viewed 4466 times
058.jpg
058.jpg (418.48 KiB) Viewed 4466 times
015.jpg
015.jpg (404.63 KiB) Viewed 4466 times

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:53 am

I figure about 4 square inches, based on other DF stone sizes.

Obviously Valorians don't want to move heavy stones.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:34 am

FelixDraconis wrote:I can't see the seams in the wall, but of course this is a prototype so probably not properly modularized yet. Or they're considering things like 2x2 walls. Tough to say from the photo.

I like the photos that have shown more horizontal depth / features. For instance the arrow slit walls for KS3 are some of my favorite because of the projections. These do seem potentially too flat/featureless.

For the crenellations/battlements I'm really hoping the final versions will have ivy, moss, or at least something different in color in the area just underneath. These little touches really help the roofs of KS3 and a few of the wall sections. It keeps things from looking too plain and repetitive.

http://www.castlewales.com/dinefwr13.jpg
http://images.kaneva.com/filestore8/375 ... eUwall.jpg

Also, sections of different texture/color would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.britainexpress.com/images/at ... n-7447.jpg

This looks nice enough. The different sized stones are appreciated. But it's still pretty plain. A lot of these next to each other is going to look like a pretty boring wall. Stefan has made me expect more than just stones. :D
Out of curiosity, how much wall do you figure is showing in the picture?
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.