Teaser Texture Photo

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Teaser Texture Photo

Post by pacarat » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:51 pm

my two cents - detail and repetition is a slippery slope. what may look really cool on a single piece (moss on tops of crenelation) looks very - well repetitive when six or eight battlement pieces are lined up next to each other. I did not paint moss green on the tops of mine for this exact reason.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (310.11 KiB) Viewed 3550 times

FelixDraconis
Goblin
Goblin

Post by FelixDraconis » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:23 pm

I can't see the seams in the wall, but of course this is a prototype so probably not properly modularized yet. Or they're considering things like 2x2 walls. Tough to say from the photo.

I like the photos that have shown more horizontal depth / features. For instance the arrow slit walls for KS3 are some of my favorite because of the projections. These do seem potentially too flat/featureless.

For the crenellations/battlements I'm really hoping the final versions will have ivy, moss, or at least something different in color in the area just underneath. These little touches really help the roofs of KS3 and a few of the wall sections. It keeps things from looking too plain and repetitive.

http://www.castlewales.com/dinefwr13.jpg
http://images.kaneva.com/filestore8/375 ... eUwall.jpg

Also, sections of different texture/color would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.britainexpress.com/images/at ... n-7447.jpg

This looks nice enough. The different sized stones are appreciated. But it's still pretty plain. A lot of these next to each other is going to look like a pretty boring wall. Stefan has made me expect more than just stones. :D

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:12 pm

The main difference in painting I'm sure is the amount of product at a time. How much resin gets sold each year compared to Dwarvenite? They are also likely different factories.
106 Resin and 202 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Jonathan
Orc
Orc

Post by Jonathan » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:59 pm

Law wrote:Oh, and I'll add -- the streets in the CBS are a HUGE improvement over the quality of the paint we saw in KS1 and KS2. So we know it's possible! (I also didn't want to sound TOO negative about Dwarvenite!)
There are certainly a number of pieces where the factory paint job didn't live up to what "expertly hand painted" evokes, and I agree that a big part of that is the high contrast drybrushing, which really fails to capture the beauty of some of the resin pieces, even though the dwarvenite sculpts have enough detail to produce that level of beauty.

On the other hand, a lot of pieces have really impressive factory paint jobs, such as most of KS3, and especially those spectacular streets.

I agree some pieces blend together (caverns particularly) when viewed at a distance, and it can be hard to see depth and contrast. While I'm not sure that better painting would completely alleviate it, I agree that it would help.

I imagine one of the challenges for Stefan and the whole team is to decide what balance of quality and price would best fulfill their vision of what they want to offer their customers. The higher the quality of factory paint job, the more the cost to us as the buyers. Perhaps less obvious, the more consistently higher the quality of factory paint job, the higher the price will be.

I think in most cases, the cost difference between unpainted and painted represents a pretty fair price for the paint jobs provided, although it would be interesting if there was a third level of product available - perfection level pieces (or "masterwork" to use D&D lingo), with an associated boost in price. I suspect this level would diminish the appeal of regular "expertly hand painted" pieces, and would create additional costs in the form of more complex logistics.

The thing is, most of the painted pieces are pretty much Grade A. Maybe a few pieces are A+, maybe in some cases a B or B-, but generally they're at least good even if they don't quite achieve complete excellence.

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:52 pm

natetaylor wrote:Don't worry Oldent. We're going full-throttle. There will be a ton of exciting content, both photos and videos, in this campaign.

After a week of shooting, we're like giddy children over here. Stefan is frothing at the mouth, dying to release all this stuff to the world.

Two weeks...
:lol:
How will you hold him back? Hmmm, in fact, maybe Nate you should go on a 10 day vacation to the Caribbean and leave Stefan with all the pictures and videos :D

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:14 pm

Oh, and I'll add -- the streets in the CBS are a HUGE improvement over the quality of the paint we saw in KS1 and KS2. So we know it's possible! (I also didn't want to sound TOO negative about Dwarvenite!)

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:11 pm

I just hope that, along with all the other refinements and improvements and learning experiences that go into this, there is also an attention to the factory paint.

I really love the CBS and I'm having a blast with it (obviously). But I also feel like there remains a HUGE gap between the quality of the paint we saw in the resin line and what we're getting in the Kickstarters.

The KS pieces tend to look like they were painted by someone who was rushing and didn't know how to drybrush properly. Instead of accenting and highlighting the texture of the pieces -- which is what this picture shows -- they tend to create exaggerated contrasts.

And this is an issue, because the high-contrast, white lines-over-dark-background paint jobs tends to actually HIDE detail when everything is assembled. I've noticed this with the cavern pieces. When you look up close at a single cavern piece, it looks fine. But when you build a large cavern and step back, the paint clash means that it becomes hard to pick out depth. All the wonderful details in the sculpts, and the height differences, collapse in the sort of "static" effect of so much high-contrast drybrushing. To give an example: on this picture, the highlighting is subtle enough that it makes the stones look properly textured, but you can still see the gaps between them. From a distance, you'd see a stone wall. But, if the drybrushing were more amateurish, there'd be bright white just spread on the top of all of it, with ridges and bumps of the stone texture showing much brighter white than the slightly-less-raised area on the same stone. And then the gap between the stones stands out less. What the eye sees is that huge contrast spread evenly throughout an entire wall. The detail of the sculpt, the different stones, is swallowed up. I've noticed this with the caverns. A large cavern setup, in person, seen from normal height (standing at a table), a lot of sculpted detail is somewhat swallowed up by the drybrushing.

With CBS, there's less of an issue. The stone texture is improved slightly from KS1, but still not the same quality as resin. But it matters less because there are so many other pieces involved -- the Tudor design, the roads, the roofs, the balconies. It doesn't produce a single mass of high contrast the way a cavern layout comprised of nothing but cavern pieces does.

The castles are really going to require high quality paint if they're going to shine. I really hope there is a discussion with the factory about making sure the paintjob is better. This is already going to be a pricey Kickstarter -- bump up the price if need be. But get the paint quality where it needs to be.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:36 pm

Interesting mix of the fieldstones from the resin line with a blockier pattern, more in line with the Dwarvenite line.

Thank you for the previews, Nate. You really have taken KS3 feedback to heart. :) Much better than 100% top secret.
106 Resin and 202 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:30 pm

hey look - it is a Beanslayer Miniature!

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/ ... iniatures/
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Audles
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Audles » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:37 pm

That's a great photo, thanks! It's nice to see how the new sets can be integrated. I really like the mix of stone textures here.