Drawbridge addon pack question

Please restrict your posting in this Forum to questions for Jenney. Jenney will answer questions in the Codex Valoria. You may carry on discussions in the Pre-Kickstarter News and the Kickstarter 4 Discussion Forums.
Talistran
Orc
Orc

Re: Drawbridge addon pack question

Post by Talistran » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:33 am

igelkott wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:32 am
I don't see how this new pack works. It looks to me like you need something more to fill in the upper back of the drawbridge. Here's how it looks like it doesn't work to me, so someone can fill in how it's supposed to work......

1) Start with the Gatehouse and put the murder hole floor on top of it.
2) Add on the Drawbridge Winch Wall on the front
3) Add on the Offset Door Walls on the sides and the Arrowslit Wall on the back. These all have the v-shaped fittings from KS3.
4) So now there's the upper half of the tower to put together. There are 4 x 3/4 Corner Fill Walls and 2 x Dungeon Corner posts. Is this enough to fill in the back and sides of the tower? Also, the back of the Winch Wall have v-shaped fittings but it doesn't look like these other pieces have v-shaped fittings? So I'm confused.
5) Once 4) is resolved, place the 4x4 roof platform from the gatehouse on top
6) place whatever battlements or roof pieces you want on top of that.

So step 4) is the one I don't get. I looked at the necromancer video and it looked like there were fill pieces in there but they looked like wall corners from the castle, in addition to the 2 Fill pieces from this addon pack, not the extra pieces I see from the graphic.
I didn't see this almost a year ago, but saw it today.

If your answer wasn't answereed then, I think this thread answers it. Poor design IMO.

About halfway down the first page I do a picture analysis. Is that what you're talking about in Step 3/4?

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=8323&p=114025&hili ... ge#p114025

radionate

Post by radionate » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:17 pm

could use some picture assembly for us visual learners, thanks.

Arravis
Orc
Orc

Post by Arravis » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:08 am

What I don't understand is how the 3/4 walls are attached, magnetically perhaps?

igelkott
Goblin
Goblin

Post by igelkott » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:26 pm

I see what you're saying. The 2nd tier of walls need to be the full 2" height in order to maintain the standard 4" height of everything else in the castle system.

So I guess the Dungeon Corner Posts and the 3/4 Walls must be the full 2" height in order to fill in the gap correctly.

DonTheDime
Goblin
Goblin

Post by DonTheDime » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:57 pm

The one aspect that may be overlooked here is that you would need a spacer (or spacers) of some sort in order to match the height of the drawbridge winch wall. To match the height of the Drawbridge winch wall with murderhole floor, the equivalent in CBS would require two floors and two sets of posts/walls. So, just putting another CBS wall on top of the extreme offset door wall would not bring it up to the top of the drawbridge winch wall; a floor height equivalent spacer would be required.

That said, I agree it would be very helpful to see how those three quarter walls and two dungeon corner posts are meant to full the gap left from using the other pieces present.

For examples of double height posts, along with 'spacers', check out the last livestream video where they expand the gatehouse.

kmj9907
Orc
Orc

Post by kmj9907 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:42 pm

it may have to do with the fact that they are already casting the 3/4 and post pieces, and this gets more use out of them, therefore decreasing the relative overhead of the molds. While if they're not planning on casting normal walls or posts, bringing them out and casting a bunch would actually cost them more money. They don't keep stock by unit, so they couldn't just pull CBS plain walls and posts out of stock easily. If they end up involving CBS stone posts in this KS, this argument goes out the window since they could just do 3 more arrowslit walls.

One assumes we who already own CBS pieces can just put them in that place and use the pieces that come with it elsewhere (they seem pretty versatile). I hope that's the case.

igelkott
Goblin
Goblin

Post by igelkott » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:03 pm

Supposedly the 6 x 3/4 wall sections and the 2 x dungeon Corner posts are going to fill this in but there is still a mismatch between the 3/4 wall section and the V-notch in the winch wall.

Wouldn't it be better to simply include 2 regular Stone Corner Posts from KS3, and 3 plain walls from KS3? The Offset walls would have to have a hole in the integrated corner to fit the Corner Post on top of it, and then the 3 plain walls would fit nicely on the 2 sides and back.

Wouldn't this be better?

Stormfury
Orc
Orc

Post by Stormfury » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:52 am

igelkott wrote:
kodiakbear wrote:To make the doors so close to the edge they had to have the post be a part of the walls

And the winch walls also have the posts as part of its wall.

so the only wall that is a standard city style wall is the back arrowslit wall
You completely missed my confusion...... I get the part you describe... that's step 3 in my post above. The drawbridge winch wall is double height, but the offset door wall and arrowslit wall are single height. How do you fill in the upper section of the side and back and how does the fill connect with the winch wall that has a V-shape?
Very good question.
He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

Xeno Syncretic Order - Salvation Through Unity

igelkott
Goblin
Goblin

Post by igelkott » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:34 am

kodiakbear wrote:To make the doors so close to the edge they had to have the post be a part of the walls

You completely missed my confusion...... I get the part you describe... that's step 3 in my post above. The drawbridge winch wall is double height, but the offset door wall and arrowslit wall are single height. How do you fill in the upper section of the side and back and how does the fill connect with the winch wall that has a V-shape?

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:53 am

To make the doors so close to the edge they had to have the post be a part of the walls