Problem with Wall To Tower transition addon

Please restrict your posting in this Forum to questions for Jenney. Jenney will answer questions in the Codex Valoria. You may carry on discussions in the Pre-Kickstarter News and the Kickstarter 4 Discussion Forums.
Audles
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Problem with Wall To Tower transition addon

Post by Audles » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:55 pm

I really hope they take this advice into account and re-do the Tower Break-In packs. I'd love 2 sets of 6" tower break-in, but to do that with what's available is cost prohibitive... Making it much more likely I'll skip the walls since they'll look janky with the Towers. :/

iPaint
Orc
Orc

Post by iPaint » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:12 pm

Kryzsko wrote:The other problem is that to add the parapet pack you need to get two transition packs for a total of $80 just to put parapets on any non-tower corners.
Eek, yep...man, that puts another hamper on things....may have to go to CBS for the hanging parapets...

~iPaint

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Kryzsko » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:06 pm

The other problem is that to add the parapet pack you need to get two transition packs for a total of $80 just to put parapets on any non-tower corners.

iPaint
Orc
Orc

Post by iPaint » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:00 pm

Not only that, but if the WTT add-on is designed to add a tower to a corner, you still need a Corner Wall Spacer, which only comes in Castle and above pledges, or the Corner Walls add-on.

If you're like me and looking to expand on a Ramparts pledge because you'll only ever need at most maybe 2 corners (and then, they'd have these WTT pieces to accommodate a round tower), buying any sort of corner options from any other add-ons is a complete waste because you don't have any spacers to use them with.

So....yeah, I'm now thinking Ramparts is useless if you plan on doing anything with towers on a corner, since it requires at least a Corner Wall add-on to get the corner spacers, and then 2 WTT add-ons for the towers to be accessible at 2" level, but then you have an extra 4 solid corner wall pieces that are essentially useless because, again, there aren't spacers for them.

Maybe adding in a corner spacer and bumping the price would help? Or make a Corner Spacer (and 4" Wall Spacer) add-on pack.

Thanks!

~iPaint

Arravis
Orc
Orc

Post by Arravis » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:41 pm

Hear hear!

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:40 pm

Dear DF,

Please add one solid quarter-round curved wall to the Wall to Tower add-on. If you have to bump the price to $60, we understand.

Best wishes,
jackattack
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:00 pm

:oops:
I was looking at the small tower add-on packs when I made the suggestion.
:oops:

I will refrain from commenting until I have taken the time to look closely at the components of the options. Hopefully tonight I can come up with a couple of hours to try to piece some things together. Hopefully.

OK, so, having just said that I would shut up... another thought occurred to me... it is only focused on the walls... if you don't need all four towers split out at once, you could take the solid quarter walls from the unused tower(s) to replace the door quarter wall piece(s)... I believe three of the four towers could be accommodated that way. However, if you need some combination of all four towers in play at the same time (one or more split out and the rest on a castle gate/wall/rampart), then this probably wouldn't work. Anyway... was just a thought. No need to respond... just thinking "out loud" with limited real information. ;) :-)

geekjeff
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by geekjeff » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:39 am

I hoped that the Large Palace Tower add-on might work just to have window variety, I think those arches look better fi you're building a wizard tower. But there's no solid walls in there at all, so you'd have ground level open windows. :lol:

geekjeff
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by geekjeff » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:34 am

Okay, coffee has had some time to do its thing. :D

All this got started with me figuring out how to assemble a Royal Stronghold equivalent pledge over time, starting with Grand Citadel and 2 Watchtowers now to maximize stretch goals and adding the rest later as funds allow.

I think it's reasonable to assume the design considerations of a Wall To Tower Transition pack were intended to allow a Watchtower to be added to a castle, bur right now they don't accomplish that at all.

Looking at your suggestions
1) Batter Bases are lovely and I planned to get one for now, but paying $42 (unpainted) to fix a $40 add-on shouldn't be a thing. Still doesn't solve the problem of not having enough quarter rounds at all for level 3 of the tower. Need $126 worth of Batter Bases to make the castle work right, and it's STILL not fixed.
2) Well sure again, yes you can just throw money at the problem. :P Less expensive, one Large Fortified Tower add-on pack effectively "fixes" it for $35/tower and allows you to build all 4 towers on a theoretical DIY Royal up to 5 tiers high. Leaves you with two extra twin door walls that you didn't need since they're in the WTT pack anyways.
3) Guards on an poorly designed and defended back door of your castle are great if you need that for a story hook, lousy if you don't.
4) But I know its there, and players will want to use it. Could cover it up with Mountain bits I suppose, that makes more sense for a Secret Passage/Emergency Exit. But still clunky.

For fixing it ourselves, 2 is currently the best option I think. It's a fix almost as expensive as the add-on costs in the first place, but at least it gives you more useful parts. Could also buy (ironically) Tower Breakout Packs to "fix" the WTT add-on for $20/tower. But that just leaves you with still more doors. Doors doors doors.

Things Dwarven Forge could do to fix this problem for us:
-Add 2 quarter tower walls to the Wall To Tower pack (probably unfeasible)
-Re-do the WTT pack into 4" and 6" versions, include the necessary walls in 6"
-Change the Watchtower pledge by swapping 1 of the Solid Half Walls for 2 Solid Quarter Walls. This actually does totally fix the problem and offers much more modularity/flexibility in the pack. I don't know if t's feasible to make such a structural change to the add-on at this late date though.
-New add-on pack for 4 or 8 large quarter tower walls, Solid or Arrowslit or mix. This would actually be pretty handy.

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:13 am

I see four options (short of forcing them to try to orchestrate another change at this late date):
1) Cover the door with a Batter Base.
2) Get more parts with a tower add-on pack (you really NEED taller towers anyway!).
3) Post guards on the "back door."
4) Pretend it isn't there? ;-)

Seriously though... the batter bases look cool at the base of the tower on the castle.