Composition Issues

Please restrict your posting in this Forum to questions for Jenney. Jenney will answer questions in the Codex Valoria. You may carry on discussions in the Pre-Kickstarter News and the Kickstarter 4 Discussion Forums.
bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Composition Issues

Post by bernyleung » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:54 pm

You may need two double-door walls for each tower if you are attaching them to double-high walls. That way you have an exposed double-door wall on top of the wall where the ramparts and crenellations are, and you have an interior double-door on a lower-level in the playable space within the wall. Maybe?

richmeyer
Kobold
Kobold

Post by richmeyer » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:39 pm

I understand your point but it is making assumptions about how people are pledging or what they intend to build. I also understand why the double door is in the Tower Transition pack but it is redundant to have the double door in the Large Tower Fortified as well. The situations you describe requires buying the Tower Transition pack anyway so you get the double doors without needing them to be in the Large Tower Fortified.

My thought is that it is a hold over from early in the KS before they created the transition packs. Before then there was no double door walls other than in the Grand Citadel pledge and having it in the Tower fortified made some sense.

The tower battlements in the Watchtower look great but I only want a couple with those. I also want some simpler looking towers with crenelations and roofs and the option to build many stand alone towers which need a door for entry. Some of the big DF builds make great use of a variety of tower toppers. That is what I want to have.

I'm thinking of building around 8 towers of varying height and I need more single doors for such a build. Some may end up being only one or two levels high, which I agree isn't much of a "tower" but then look at the Wizard's Outpost pledge. One or two levels high and you get circular huts for a different look to a village.

Right now there are three ways to get additional single doors: Large Tower Breakout, Large Tower - Palace, and the Watchtower. Each of those are expensive options to purchase just to get a few single doors.

Two tower fortified plus crenelations or roof are less expensive than the watchtower. If I was wanting more tower battlements then I would indeed buy more Watchtowers as it is a great deal.

Vegomatic
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Vegomatic » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:40 pm

The double door in the Tower Transition Pack is intended to transition a stand-alone tower (like the Watchtower, or the Sorcerer's Sanctum) into the corner of a castle build. Neither of those towers has a double door.

I suspect the logic behind no single door in the fortified tower add-on is thus: If I were to buy a fortified tower add-on then I am most likely planning to add it on to a castle/citadel or to add floors to a Watchtower. Hence enough walls to add two full floors plus the double door. Further, the two floors in the add-on are not enough for a "tower" by themselves so I need at least two add-ons and I still need a topper... If I wanted a full stand alone fortified tower, why wouldn't I buy a Watchtower? It is three dollars cheaper than buying two fortified tower add-ons with appropriate battlements AND I get stretch goals.

The palace tower has no place as a part of the castle defenses so it should not be integrated into the castle walls at the wall level (it might be added higher) it is also more likely to be used in an independent tower set up... I might want to mix a fortified (for lower floors) and palace (for upper floors) but with that combo I get a single door and a double door so it can go either way.

edit: That three dollars is unpainted. It saves six dollars painted. ;-)

richmeyer
Kobold
Kobold

Post by richmeyer » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:59 pm

I believe there is an issue with composition of the Large Tower - Fortified add on.

It comes with a double door wall, which is the door of choice for attaching to the corner. But the Tower Transition Pack for the corner comes with the double door.

There should be a single door in the Large Tower - Fortified instead of the double door. Otherwise you won't have the single door to build stand alone towers.

I was originally going to work around by buying the tower break out but that add on has changed and increased in price. So I'm asking can we get a single door in the Large Tower - Fortified instead of the double door?

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:36 pm

Found it!

$19 Corner Cutout Add-On Pack for the win.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:23 pm

geekjeff wrote:Agreed on the first point, although if they add at least one of those quarter-round LED pieces to the Watchtower like they talked about in the livestream that will solve the problem to me.

For the Parapet - I am pretty sure Elye said that you don't need a Transition Wall Platform for a 4" tower like you do for a 6". Since the Parapet is basically a 4" tower radius, maybe it's OK without?
Adding a quarter-round to the Watchtower is also a good solution, but I don't need LED pieces.

The suspended parapet has a CBS post built into the center of the quarter-circle bight, and requires the use of the included adaptor piece to go on a castle wall. The included adaptor requires two corner wall transitions to make room and hold it up.

I'm sure the streaming videos are great, but information released in the streaming videos also needs to be released in updates or posts or something else.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

Vegomatic
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Vegomatic » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:38 am

During the live stream last night they described changes to tower breakout, wall to tower transition, and parapets packs. Pieces were being added and some were being split into two packs. I do not remember the detsils. I expected them to be posted by this morning but they are not yet.

geekjeff
Ogre
Ogre

Post by geekjeff » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:24 am

jackattack wrote:Will DF be adding a solid quarter-round 6" tower wall to the Wall to Tower Transition add-on to prevent putting a door outside the castle wall? Or do we need to add a Tower Breakout add-on to our pledges to get extra curved walls?

Will DF be adding right and left corner transition walls to the Suspended Parapet add-on to allow the turret to be added to a castle wall without using up two pieces needed for a corner watchtower? Or do we need to add a Wall to Tower Transition add-on to our pledges to get extra corner transition walls?
Agreed on the first point, although if they add at least one of those quarter-round LED pieces to the Watchtower like they talked about in the livestream that will solve the problem to me.

For the Parapet - I am pretty sure Elye said that you don't need a Transition Wall Platform for a 4" tower like you do for a 6". Since the Parapet is basically a 4" tower radius, maybe it's OK without?

biowizard
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by biowizard » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:49 am

jackattack wrote:Will DF be adding a solid quarter-round 6" tower wall to the Wall to Tower Transition add-on to prevent putting a door outside the castle wall?
Jackattack has a point there. The two first levels of such wall-attached tower would have a 3/4 floor footprint. As those are made from a half 6" wall and a quarter 6" wall, with the current Watchtower Set composition, one would need to use the quarter 6" wall that has a door in it "outside" the castle.
jackattack wrote:Will DF be adding right and left corner transition walls to the Suspended Parapet add-on to allow the turret to be added to a castle wall without using up two pieces needed for a corner watchtower? Or do we need to add a Wall to Tower Transition add-on to our pledges to get extra corner transition walls?
I think that with the present 67 add-ons, which will be a logistical nightmare to keep in stock in the following years, this is very unlikely. Although the suspended parapet would work with the "Wall to Tower Transition" add-on, it seems like it also works very well with the stone CBS piece.

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Composition Issues

Post by jackattack » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:31 am

Will DF be adding a solid quarter-round 6" tower wall to the Wall to Tower Transition add-on to prevent putting a door outside the castle wall? Or do we need to add a Tower Breakout add-on to our pledges to get extra curved walls?

Will DF be adding right and left corner transition walls to the Suspended Parapet add-on to allow the turret to be added to a castle wall without using up two pieces needed for a corner watchtower? Or do we need to add a Wall to Tower Transition add-on to our pledges to get extra corner transition walls?