Castle Restock

Glendel
Orc
Orc

Re: Castle Restock

Post by Glendel » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:41 pm

Yes agreed Anime. That is kind of the reason I want a Royal. It comes with a LOT of elevation in the towers, which I want the most, and a good bit of walls. Combined with the CBS Capitals I can manage the elevation and footprint I want. I am not exactly looking for one castle that is 4sq ft but actually enough pieces to do several small castle and stand alone tower builds all at the same time. I just figured the Royal would give this the most convenient and maybe less costly than buying the sum of its parts in small packs. Will be working on that over the next few days to see if that is the case. Plus, not having Castle experience I didn't want to take the chance of not buying a pack or several packs of something important that is needed to do a build.

Glendel
Orc
Orc

Post by Glendel » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:35 pm

I did compare the GC and the Royal. But would end up getting 2 GC to get near the parts of the Royal and the Royal gives the 4" towers and a good sum of other parts as well that the GC does not have. Both are great options to get a large working pool of pieces. I did see that both castles are in but in painted versions only. I enjoy painting and being able to match it to everything from KS3 and KS5.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:09 pm

Also, keep in mind that castles are designed to go vertical, where most other sets are not. As such, you need both the horizontal floors and the walls instead of mainly just looking at a footprint. Castles easily cost at least double per square inch of coverage due to the 3D element, materials (Dwarvenite G and a lot of magnets), and unique parts which cost more per piece to make. I have two castle corners I need to buy and painted it's almost $100. (https://shop.dwarvenforge.com/products/ ... 4511932614) 2 corners in any other set is a few bucks.
100 Resin and 237 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

hunter_something
Orc
Orc

Post by hunter_something » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:54 pm

I've already gone in pretty heavy on my DF purchases this year, so while I'm looking forward to seeing the new sets broken out, I don't think I'll be investing in anything too huge.

I'm not expecting castles to get a lot of time at my table, so I'm really thinking of it more as an expansion of my CBS. I'd love to have a set that is a small build, maybe involving a couple towers. That way I can add on some walls, and have a lot of options for building towers, tiny castles, and some wall / guard posts.

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:08 pm

Glendel wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:14 am
I have my reservations. If I cannot get a Royal I am going to have to add up the sum of its parts and see if I can do that. Having not been part of the KS it is daunting to jump in and pick up $2k worth of castle and know if you are getting the right amount of this or that and not missing key components.

The new configurations do not lend any information yet on if they will or will not accomplish that.
FWIW, I went with the Grand Citadel (which appears to be in stock right now) and added to it with various expansion sets. I'm very happy with what I can build with it, especially since I already had plenty of City Builder stuff (which is one of the major differences between GC and Royal).

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:44 am

I can attest that building various smaller sets can lead to some pretty cool castle options. I have picked up a Watch tower or two, a Ramparts, lots of walls and crenelations, and various other tower sets over time. Was able to build a pretty sizeable Keep ( viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10080 ) that I posted some shots of a last fall. Many real forts are wide and not so tall, unlike wicked tall fantasy castles. I have also used all those tower parts for an 7 or 8 story tall watchtower encounter, where the characters had to dash to the roof to shut down a signal beacon before it was turned on. That was a fun encounter.

By going slow (relative term) that also let me better understand what pieces I found more useful to our style of gameplay and then go about getting more of those to support the builds.

Glendel
Orc
Orc

Post by Glendel » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:14 am

I have my reservations. If I cannot get a Royal I am going to have to add up the sum of its parts and see if I can do that. Having not been part of the KS it is daunting to jump in and pick up $2k worth of castle and know if you are getting the right amount of this or that and not missing key components.

The new configurations do not lend any information yet on if they will or will not accomplish that.

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:01 pm

I think these reconfigured sets will make it easier to create a custom castle, especially for newcomer

Looking forward to seeing what they all look like. I expect I have all I need to build any of these sets already, but still looking for ideas to steal. ;-)

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:12 am

geekjeff wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:53 am
<snip>
Or you can just do what most of us do, buy way too much to make your dream Castle and then buy even more when you want it even bigger. :lol:
While I didn't go ALLLL in on castles, I got a sizeable order (for me!) and can confirm that building variations on castles is the best part. The default builds are a nice starting point, but customizing the castles is what makes it special and what makes it Dwarven Forge.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:19 am

geekjeff wrote:
Think about it
Do we have too?
geekjeff wrote:
While the Castle system overall is a fun (let's call it fun) puzzle to sort out,
We thought it as a whole load of fun :)
geekjeff wrote:
we're around to help.
You and the rest of the DF support staff are worth your weight in carrots.
the 24/7 support in the KS comments of the last 2 Kickstarters was above and beyond.
geekjeff wrote:
Or you can just do what most of us do, buy way too much to make your dream Castle and then buy even more when you want it even bigger. :lol:
Thats pretty much what we did :)

EDIT: just updated spelling :)
Last edited by Rabbit Burner on Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Return to “Kickstarter 4 Discussion”