Grass mats

jonmilton
Orc
Orc

Re: Grass mats

Post by jonmilton » Wed May 11, 2016 11:40 am

I am just going to put a note in my order about zooming in, and he will contact me. he is really good about working with you to customize your mat.

Pretty much everything (except water) you will probably want zoomed in. I prefer Grass Field to Grassy Terrain, but it's a personal preference. The mats when printed appear a little darker than on a computer screen, so keep that in mind. After getting a bunch of mats with "vertical texture" I wish I had favored the flatter looking ones as they provide more utility.

I got Deep Blue Sea and it's gorgeous, perfect color for Caribbean waters.
All your other picks are excellent.
Definitely get the cobbles zoomed in if you get them.

zenmaster
Orc
Orc

Post by zenmaster » Wed May 11, 2016 10:07 am

Saxon1974 wrote: I am curious about getting another floor, either a concrete or dungeon flood, If you have one which looks best with DF game times or masted maze sets I wonder?
Google "Promatz review" and look at the video by Undead Viking, starting at about the 8 min. mark. He puts some DF tiles on the Concrete Floor mat, and it looks amazingly good.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
jonmilton wrote: The GameMatz creator has indicated that he will zoom the images to whatever scale you like, so you can get stuff at better levels for RPG now.
Do you know if we can just tell him "25-28mm scale" or do we have to be specific about zoom%s or something? How are you going about that, if you don't mind my asking? I quizzed him if he could optimize for 25-28mm scale already.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question for Game Matz Wave 1 backers:

Is "Grass Field" probably the best way to go for a generic grass graphic mat? Any others you think might be better? "Grassy Terrain looks decent too. May need to ask about zoom level?

Thinking about "Ocean Plain" or "Blue Sea" or most likely "Ocean Blue" for water (a bit lighter is better, I think)
"Dirt Field" for VIllages/farms
"Cobblestone Terrain" for towns/cities
"Snow Terrain" for snow/tundra
"Desert Sands" for desert/beach/arid plains
Leaning Badlands for general cavern/badlands type terrain for the 7th mat I am getting in this Wave 2 GameMatz KS. I am considering another grassy-type mat instead as the 7th, but I am also considering shelling out for an extra grassy ProMat in the future... Decisions, decisions... it's not like the DF KS is shorting me on decisions already :P.

I am asking the KS creator to see what grey/dark gridlines look like on each map. I think I would very much prefer that to white.

Hope others found good mats for their purposes.
Dungeon Crawl Classics enthusiast.

Saxon1974
Orc
Orc

Post by Saxon1974 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:05 pm

Got delivery notification for my Hotzmatz so guess my luck was good, only about 3 weeks.

Saxon1974
Orc
Orc

Post by Saxon1974 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:34 pm

jonmilton wrote:The GameMatz creator has indicated that he will zoom the images to whatever scale you like, so you can get stuff at better levels for RPG now.
Great! I might get an extra mat then.

jonmilton
Orc
Orc

Post by jonmilton » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:16 pm

The GameMatz creator has indicated that he will zoom the images to whatever scale you like, so you can get stuff at better levels for RPG now.

Saxon1974
Orc
Orc

Post by Saxon1974 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:49 pm

Mobius wrote:I have 3 of those Gamematz vinyl mats from their last KS. I'm very satisfied with them and I like that you can get them with a 1" grid to match my DF and other gaming stuff.

The only problem I've had with them is that they're a bit thin and can get creases if not rolled and stored carefully (creases can be worked out over time), but the price is right and I was not expecting super-deluxe mat quality for those prices.

Here's a 3x4 cobblestone Gamematz vinyl mat in use with my DF City stuff:
http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b59 ... cvy5oo.jpg

And a 3x4 field Gamematz vinyl mat with DF City stuff and trees:
http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b59 ... oithsc.jpg
Thanks for sharing Möbius. I have that same cobblestone mat and while I like it I just don't like the look of the white grid over it, but maybe I am too picky..

I have the snow field and that one looks great of course because the white grid blends well.

Saxon1974
Orc
Orc

Post by Saxon1974 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:44 pm

zenmaster wrote:
jonmilton wrote:
Saxon1974 wrote:
I wonder if they don't always to the white then...my cobblestone is bright white
I checked my mats, all 9 are the faded white look. The white is brighter or darker depending on how dark the background is, but even the cobblestone mat is not bright white. Maybe yours got misprinted.
The GameMatz creator has said in the KS comments that people can opt for different gridline colors. He mentioned he may even be able to show test graphics for different grid colors, in an email reply to my question about this. The grid on the "concrete floor" map is done dark and looks great (matching the look of DF floor tiles). I am wondering if going gray on the cobblestones might be better, as I am picking up a cobb;estone mat myself in this KS.
Well I think you might be right about it being faded a bit, my Cobb grid is but the white just really stands out too much IMO.

I am curious about getting another floor, either a concrete or dungeon flood, If you have one which looks best with DF game times or masted maze sets I wonder?

I am also going to get a wasteland mat with maybe a beige/brown grid because I think it will look good under the DF cavern tiles.

Good to know the creator will do alternate grid color and let you preview before printing.

Tempted on the grassy battlefield as well, I wonder what crib would look best on that one, maybe a green variant.

Talistran
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Talistran » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:36 pm

I've thought about picking up a cobblestone mat or two, just to cut up for roads to lay over other mats (like a grass mat).

zenmaster
Orc
Orc

Post by zenmaster » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:45 pm

jonmilton wrote:
Saxon1974 wrote:
I wonder if they don't always to the white then...my cobblestone is bright white
I checked my mats, all 9 are the faded white look. The white is brighter or darker depending on how dark the background is, but even the cobblestone mat is not bright white. Maybe yours got misprinted.
The GameMatz creator has said in the KS comments that people can opt for different gridline colors. He mentioned he may even be able to show test graphics for different grid colors, in an email reply to my question about this. The grid on the "concrete floor" map is done dark and looks great (matching the look of DF floor tiles). I am wondering if going gray on the cobblestones might be better, as I am picking up a cobb;estone mat myself in this KS.

zenmaster
Orc
Orc

Post by zenmaster » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:40 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Saxon1974 wrote:
AnimeSensei wrote:
I was lucky. When I ordered he was in the middle of a large bunch of grass mats so I got expedited. Maybe 2 weeks from order to doorstep for me, but I was an outlier and he makes these to order so it does take a little more time.
Thanks. Not in a rush so 2 months or less is OK but some people have said they waited a year or more.
Sounds like Zuzzy mats, not Hotz Matz. 2 different companies
No, unfortunately HOTZ mats has similar complaints on communication in detailed threads over at boardgamegeek. Not as bad communication as Zuzzy mats apparently, but some people have had big problems communicating with HOTZ mats as well. It seems more hit-ot-miss with HOTZ. Some orders go through quickly without a hitch; some wait for months without any communication. People always get their mats in the end (and generally like them) or a refund with HOTZ, but the timeframe is variable.

Return to “Kickstarter 4 Discussion”