Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Ruins - why they should have their own KS

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:04 pm

Great news Stefan, I totally agree that ruins add so many possibilities - hence this thread ;)
I take on board what you said in the comments that you can create your own ruins and so anyone can make a totally unique 'ruined' build.
Had actually forgotten that KS3 ruined stone building came with rubble :)
So I'm really excited to see what is going to be available in the PM and beyond...... and then mixing in with KS3 stone ruins.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Audles
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Audles » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:29 pm

Sweet! Thanks Stefan! I'd been thinking (well, will probably do) of adding Modular Walls of Doom to my pledge so I can use ruins from KS3. That seems like it'd work in a pinch - but also having new ones would be nice (especially for towers).

Spiropolous the Minotaur
Orc
Orc

Post by Spiropolous the Minotaur » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:51 am

We will try to do some:) I think ruins add a lot of possibilities...

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:43 am

You just highlighted the main problem with castle ruins, which is that the modularity of the castle pieces to produce various wall and tower configurations works against their ability to produce the ruins for every single castle piece in every possible configuration.

Castles are a niche product to begin with. Castle ruins are even more so, and will appeal only to a portion of the people who back/buy castles.If the ruins can stand alone as well they will have broader appeal, but ruins are already easy to find.

Concentrating on edges, castles need a ruined wall and a ruined straight spacer in the shape of triangles with concave hypoteni. They should be 2" long at the base so that two can fit in a single wall section to make a U-shaped breach. The wall works inside or outside the spacer unless an arrow slit is included in the sculpt, which not only separates inner and outer ruined walls, it also requires left and right ruined outer wall pieces.

Left and right ruined crenellations and battlements would work best if their floors actually extended very slightly past the standard footprint on the ruined side, so that platforms don't also have to be resculpted.

Left and right ruined quarter-round walls for each diameter should be sufficient for towers, again using the indented triangle shape. I can see the argument for ruined floor pieces, which would require left and right ruined floor extenders, and a half- and quarter-circle ruined floors.

If possible, DF might also consider doing a double-height half-round tower wall with a big hole in the middle. It would allow a breach in a tower without destabilizing the structure above the breach. Likewise, a standard wall with a big hole (and matching spacer) would still accept a platform on top.

Anything else should be limited to distressed outer walls, crenellations and battlements, and roofs. Ground debris is optional but appreciated.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:14 am

Part of the reason for starting this thread was to point out that to have a ruined castle it is not just a case of ruined outer walls. All walls have spacers, some will be double thick walls, some maybe double height and most will have crenellations. That's a lot of pieces that if you want a fully ruined wall and in IMHO need to be thought about.
I know they have shown some fully ruined walls in the Livecasts so I am very hopeful that those will make it through to production either now or later.
I would have liked Ruins to be a major feature in the next KS, which whilst will not be the case, they are providing ruins in the PM amongst others yet to be revealed ;) I would like DF to supplement these with an add-on or two in KS5, but I wont hold it against them if they believe there are other priorities.
I know a lot of backers are clamouring for KSI and II extras.
Will be interesting to see how PM ruins and KSIII ruins will integrate, cant wait :)

Himajin
Orc
Orc

Post by Himajin » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:13 pm

As much as I like the idea of ruins, I don't think it could succeed as its own kickstarter. I think the best way to do it would be to make a ruined castle wall add-on with a single type of wall that comes apart in different ways, so it can look like an intact but cracked wall, or one that is ruined to various degrees. I've done a similar thing myself with Hirst Arts pieces, and I'm sure a magnetic or peg solution would work for Dwarven Forge as well.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:24 pm

Totally understand and in truth slightly relieved that only a few ruins are going to be in the PM as my (& not just mine I think) wallet needs a breather.
Will be interesting to see what how CBS ruins combine with what will be made available in the PM and again with what will be produced post KS4..... cant wait :)

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:41 am

Ruins won't be forgotten about. It just simply was too much for this time around. There are a limited amount of steel molds that can be made. But it was important to release a few ruins bits... Nate did show off the catapult in the live stream... and CBS ruins can be used in the meantime - yay, modularity!
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.