Portcullis & Gatehouse Oddities

lostpict
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Portcullis & Gatehouse Oddities

Post by lostpict » Sat May 27, 2017 4:11 pm

I cut out a far m e as part of my dice tower project. I later built a keep with it, but cannot find it in the forums. Here is the flickr link https://www.flickr.com/photos/9975128@N ... 993465642/
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

Stormfury
Orc
Orc

Post by Stormfury » Sat May 27, 2017 3:55 pm

Vegomatic wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 2:44 pm
I like the function of the gargoyle.

As jchunick described... If the drawbridge is all the way up against the castle, it may not lower by the chains loosening (you may have to pull it away by hand to get it started)... the gargoyle holds it out far enough for gravity to do its job. So when the winch is invoked to lower, the bridge will come down.
I'm going to have to 'by hand' crank the wench, so I don't see this as big deal.
He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

Xeno Syncretic Order - Salvation Through Unity

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Fri May 26, 2017 4:55 pm

William wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 4:40 pm
Vegomatic wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 4:01 pm
There was a CBS mod where someone had cutout an entire floor leaving behind the frame of the floor (it had the edges and the post holes remaining) so they could make a tall room or floorless tower with CBS. Something like that would work very well here.
I modded some 4x4 floors into (2) 2x4 pieces, but I like that idea. I must have missed that mod here on the Forum. Do you remember if it was mentioned on Facebook or here? Either way, I may have to look into doing that to a few floors. Maybe after I get some more. ;)

Thanks for mentioning it, Vegomatic.
It was definitely here in the forums. I visit facebook about once a month... maybe... primarily to see what my kids have been up to (they are adults and one is half the country away).

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Fri May 26, 2017 4:50 pm

jchunick wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 4:38 pm
Btw,

a HUGE THANKS,
Vegomatic, for posting those informative pics. :-D
I like to help where I can. Glad you find them informative and/or useful!

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Fri May 26, 2017 4:40 pm

Vegomatic wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 4:01 pm
There was a CBS mod where someone had cutout an entire floor leaving behind the frame of the floor (it had the edges and the post holes remaining) so they could make a tall room or floorless tower with CBS. Something like that would work very well here.
I modded some 4x4 floors into (2) 2x4 pieces, but I like that idea. I must have missed that mod here on the Forum. Do you remember if it was mentioned on Facebook or here? Either way, I may have to look into doing that to a few floors. Maybe after I get some more. ;)

Thanks for mentioning it, Vegomatic.
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Fri May 26, 2017 4:38 pm

Btw,

a HUGE THANKS,
Vegomatic, for posting those informative pics. :-D
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Fri May 26, 2017 4:01 pm

Stormfury wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 2:29 pm
... I'll be adding another floor to mine to allow closing, even if a single CBS sized floor.

If you add another floor and want to use the portcullis, you will want that floor to have the portcullis slot cut in it.
Perhaps a second murderhole floor? Or mod an existing floor that you don't want (like one of those extra CBS trapdoor or stairwell floors - it won't be visible so it won't matter what it was or is).

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Fri May 26, 2017 3:48 pm

Stormfury wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 2:29 pm
... It would be really nice if this piece would come off (the gargoyle) as many of us would like to close the drawbridge entirely and it would be helpful for storage....

Storage...

With the chains attached to the drawbridge, it is easier to remove the drawbridge from the gatehouse than to remove the chains. I then store the gatehouse with the drawbridge opening facing the assembled winch house. The gargoyle is no wider than the drawbridge "hinges" and they fit together nicely. If you remove the drawbridge "hinges" then the gargoyle will mesh nicely with the open doorway. As I am storing them assembled, I fill the gatehouse with the smaller pieces of the cathedral roof (the tall spire and five pointy bits) and the winch house with pieces like the coats of arms. Then I lay the drawbridge on top (still attached to the chains).

If you can't visualize it, I can post some photos. Let me know.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Fri May 26, 2017 3:04 pm

Talistran wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 2:58 pm
Josh,

Can you speak at all to why the magnetic walls were used instead of ks3 wall options? As I noted and showed in my pics...

I think I read somewhere that you did the initial design and then DF modified it for the final production.
No. That was a decision made afterward and of which I wasn't involved. I do have to say that I personally like the alternate configuration Vegomatic came up with and will probably be using that or a similar one.
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

Talistran
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Talistran » Fri May 26, 2017 2:58 pm

Josh,

Can you speak at all to why the magnetic walls were used instead of ks3 wall options? As I noted and showed in my pics...

I think I read somewhere that you did the initial design and then DF modified it for the final production.