Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Portcullis & Gatehouse Oddities

Post by jchunick » Fri May 26, 2017 2:50 pm

Stormfury wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 2:29 pm
madrigalian wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 11:17 am
Yeah... the gargoyle thing is not good. I don't like the aesthetic. It looks entirely out of place.

"Close the Drawbridge!"
"Well, I would love to. If someone hadn't put that damn gargoyle up there..."
Let me just say that I don't like the gargoyle either, however. I think you could add another floor to the drawbridge in order to let the drawbridge close. The chains are so long they hang down anyways.

I think this is a case of overthinking the design a bit. Worrying about gravity and the drawbridge dropping down has to be something for the motorized version. It would be really nice if this piece would come off (the gargoyle) as many of us would like to close the drawbridge entirely and it would be helpful for storage. I'll be adding another floor to mine to allow closing, even if a single CBS sized floor.
For the record, it's absolutely not the case that anyone was overthinking the design, in that respect. :-) It was added afterward, during production to address the very problem I described and Vegomatic confirms. In other words, it wasn't in the original design, which was an oversight and it was corrected to ensure that it functioned better (properly?.. as intended?). Yes, it's definitely more for the motorized version. However, it's also not normal, from what I understand, to have a real medieval drawbridge drawn up perfectly perpendicular to the wall, either. A drawbridge just needed to be raised to remove easy access to the gate/entrance. I do understand that some may not like the choice of "doorstop" (drawbridge-stop?), but that's an aesthetic opinion. I suppose if it can be removed then that means it can be modded; replaced with something else more preferential.
Last edited by jchunick on Fri May 26, 2017 3:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Fri May 26, 2017 2:44 pm

I like the function of the gargoyle.

As jchunick described... If the drawbridge is all the way up against the castle, it may not lower by the chains loosening (you may have to pull it away by hand to get it started)... the gargoyle holds it out far enough for gravity to do its job. So when the winch is invoked to lower, the bridge will come down.

Talistran
Orc
Orc

Post by Talistran » Fri May 26, 2017 2:38 pm

I am 100% sure the gargoyle could come off. I like it so won't be removing it, but it is clearly glued in using a peg/hole.

Stormfury
Orc
Orc

Post by Stormfury » Fri May 26, 2017 2:29 pm

madrigalian wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 11:17 am
Yeah... the gargoyle thing is not good. I don't like the aesthetic. It looks entirely out of place.

"Close the Drawbridge!"
"Well, I would love to. If someone hadn't put that damn gargoyle up there..."
Let me just say that I don't like the gargoyle either, however. I think you could add another floor to the drawbridge in order to let the drawbridge close. The chains are so long they hang down anyways.

I think this is a case of overthinking the design a bit. Worrying about gravity and the drawbridge dropping down has to be something for the motorized version. It would be really nice if this piece would come off (the gargoyle) as many of us would like to close the drawbridge entirely and it would be helpful for storage. I'll be adding another floor to mine to allow closing, even if a single CBS sized floor.
He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

Xeno Syncretic Order - Salvation Through Unity

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Fri May 26, 2017 1:05 pm

Posted this in error. This was supposed to be an edit of the previous post. Needless to say I messed it up. :oops:

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Fri May 26, 2017 1:03 pm

It occurred to me that I should just open the back of the winch house to give a clear view... which of course led to a closer examination of other things... I partially mis-spoke above.

First, the portcullis slot. In the image below you can see the rungs for the portcullis to sit on. They are more easily seen just above the white tabs. edit: It works as I described above.

Portcullis Slot.jpg
Portcullis Slot.jpg (56.81 KiB) Viewed 1873 times

In my earlier post above I pushed the portcullis all the way up... to where nothing was showing from the front... what I had actually done was push the portcullis up above the top rung and hooked it on the side of the slot, between floors, or something.

When the portcullis is fully raised (sitting on the top rung) the bottom of the portcullis should show as in this image:

How portcullis should sit when fully open.jpg
How portcullis should sit when fully open.jpg (117.15 KiB) Viewed 1873 times

The portcullis is now positioned correctly. Lets look into the winch house, with the rear walls removed to see how nicely everything sits together.

Inside the Winch House with portcullis open.jpg
Inside the Winch House with portcullis open.jpg (84.09 KiB) Viewed 1873 times
Last edited by Vegomatic on Fri May 26, 2017 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Post by lostpict » Fri May 26, 2017 1:02 pm

Here is what can happen if you keep the drawbridge open just a smidge:

https://youtu.be/Xk86Z7kp5n8

But if you keep it closed it takes a real hero to open up:

https://youtu.be/Fw4qstD9t_o

That gargoyle is going to find a new home when he and the Drawbridge arrive. :-)
Last edited by lostpict on Fri May 26, 2017 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

Thunder
Orc
Orc

Post by Thunder » Fri May 26, 2017 12:48 pm

Going back and looking at mine, yer right, it does work that way.

I was trying to put the Portcullis in after the top was on by sliding it down through the slot in the murder hole floor. I did not think about raising and lowering it from the front. I was trying to operate it from inside - like a castle owner would. :)

Oddity solved.

Peace

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Fri May 26, 2017 12:38 pm

As an added note, the portcullis sits back a short distance from the wall... so the chains pass up to the winch between the wall and the portcullis.

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Fri May 26, 2017 12:27 pm

Thunder wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 10:35 am
I don't know how to post pics, but Talistran above shows exactly what I needed to show.

Look at the photo directly below his comment: "Then I put the arrow slit in the back"

You can clearly see the Portcullis Slot directly below the Winch. He could not raise the Portculis in the build he just showed us.

He would have to take the top floor off, which is tricky because of the chains attaching the drawbridge to it - and the shaky magnet back walls - and possibly because you have walls and crenellations on both sides.

Peace.
There is plenty of room for the portcullis.

let me demonstrate:

The assembled gatehouse with the manual drawbridge add-on. Portcullis installed and closed.
1 - Gatehouse.jpg
1 - Gatehouse.jpg (72.27 KiB) Viewed 1916 times

Better lighting this time... Portcullis is closed... you can see the winch house above...and if you look closely can see a handle of the manual winch through the window

2 - Portcullis Closed.jpg
2 - Portcullis Closed.jpg (116.85 KiB) Viewed 1916 times

Have lifted it a bit. Lifting it requires pushing back and sliding up... is not terribly easy to do. The front edge of the portcullis slot has rungs that you rest the portcullis on so it can be left in various states of openness/closedness

3 - Portcullis Mostly Closed.jpg
3 - Portcullis Mostly Closed.jpg (115.24 KiB) Viewed 1916 times

You will notice in most of these pictures that the portcullis looks crooked... It is my fault for rushing and not making sure both sides were resting on their rungs

4 - Portcullis Mostly Open.jpg
4 - Portcullis Mostly Open.jpg (112.46 KiB) Viewed 1916 times
6 - Portcullis Fully Open.jpg
6 - Portcullis Fully Open.jpg (110.03 KiB) Viewed 1916 times

OK, we are finally fully open. I did not hit the winch.
Lets look in through the top of the winch housing...
7 - Inside the winch house.jpg
7 - Inside the winch house.jpg (83.51 KiB) Viewed 1916 times

You can see the bottom of the winch assembly pretty much lines up with the bottom of the window. And look... just below that is the top of the fully open portcullis.

8 - Compare Portcullis.jpg
8 - Compare Portcullis.jpg (105.91 KiB) Viewed 1916 times

In this photo, it is difficult to see, I am holding the portcullis up next to the outside of the assembled gatehouse to show that there is just enough room for the portcullis.