At the risk of sounding rude.

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: At the risk of sounding rude.

Post by Kryzsko » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:25 am

jchunick wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:11 am
It's really not surprising at all that they went with a hard plastic for the fences. I'd be pretty disappointed if they ignored the issues of their original bones material and made them out of that stuff... then I'd have a bunch of sad, droopy fences :-)

I've gotta go this weekend to pick my stuff up from the border. Still waiting on my shipping notification for my DF stuff.
I agree completely. It would be hard to do the fences in the old PVC plastic. It just doesn't hold it shape well for thin pieces. The downside of the hard plastic is that it feels you could snap off any of the rod iron tips fairly easily, but overall I like the look. I think everything including the small characters have much better detail this time. I am very happy with how things turned out. Now I have to go through and inventory everything.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:11 am

It's really not surprising at all that they went with a hard plastic for the fences. I'd be pretty disappointed if they ignored the issues of their original bones material and made them out of that stuff... then I'd have a bunch of sad, droopy fences :-)

I've gotta go this weekend to pick my stuff up from the border. Still waiting on my shipping notification for my DF stuff.
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

geekjeff
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by geekjeff » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:18 am

The mausoleum I have no concerns about (other than how to mod it so the roof is easily removable.) The cemetery fences though, feel like I'll have to be careful with them.

I've counted at least 4 "grades" of PVC-type plastic in Bones though, between the regular and larger figures. I actually REALLY like the new grey material some of the figures were castes in, it seems to pickup fine details much better but is still flexible enough that I won't worry about letting kids play with them. No idea if it still takes paint unprimed.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:19 am

I will have the graveyard expansion in about 6 weeks if I am lucky. Curse Reaper for sending Japan stuff to Australia.

I am looking forward to it.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:36 am

They've (Reaper) had a lot of problems with thinner pieces in the other material warping and sometimes failing to retain shape. Probably an attempt to circumvent that.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:03 am

I ordered that. Drat. Hope it lasts.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Kryzsko » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:39 am

Interestingly today I got my Bones III stuff and the mausoleum and cemetery fences in the graveyard set are also the hard "lego" like plastic. I don't know if anyone here ordered that set, but I had no idea that it was going to be different from the bone's material. No big deal but it is made from the hard more brittle plastic (it is also very thin).

I just find it interesting that two unrelated companies that have been using PVC both have begun using a harder more rigid plastic for some pieces.

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Wed May 31, 2017 2:02 pm

I have not got my stuff yet, so my comment is strictly on the comments.

Madraglian is providing his own opinion for his own use. That's what this forum is for. I appreciate it because I like to hear from the whole dungeon of Trogs on this stuff. I can't even list all the ideas I"ve got from y'all, and we get that benefit by welcoming all the comments.

I doubt I"ll care about the 8x8 floors. First, I have tons of Lego and the feel of he large flat Lego plates is fine with me - and I'm sure they are 'plastickier' than Dw-G!!

Second, I don't plan to use 'em. I don't cover up things like castle courtyards; too expensive. I just use something like vinyl brick or flagstone to do it. If there is something under it, the 'something' goes in the next level down...beneath one of my 2x2.5' plywood plates. So all that doesn't concern me.

I did buy some 8x8 for other elevated uses, and there again, I don't care of they are plasticky. My stuff gets lettle wear and tear, and while I value the ability to haul Dwarvenite safely and without insane packaging, I don't do it enough to make it a priority.

I do hope these comments stay here in Vegas.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod

madrigalian
Orc
Orc

Post by madrigalian » Wed May 31, 2017 1:37 pm

As I stated earlier, I don't have any real issue with the use of D-G in the castle itself. The walls and spacers and the like need to be lighter and more rigid to work in the manner they were designed, particularly when held together with magnets. This is not the issue to me.

The issue is strictly with the floors. The floors do not have a castle resting on them. They fit the interior space of the courtyard and do not function as a foundation. If they warped a bit, they would not be affecting the structural integrity of the castle and they are easily flattened again if the warp needed correction. There is no need for them to be D-G as they do not support nor anchor anything on or around them and do not use magnets.

For me, the 8x8 dungeon/castle floors were very exciting. I saw them as being extremely versatile and helpful not only in use with castles but for making larger rooms and layouts in any dungeon design easier to set up. Having bought many extra dungeon tiles on e-bay in order to expand the floor space inside a dungeon setting, I can tell you it cost a small fortune to buy 16 individual floor tiles. The castle floors were, to me, a very effective way to gain 16 floor tiles for larger layouts without paying through the nose for individual tiles on e-bay. (Since you cannot buy them in a pack in the web store)

So, hopefully, you can understand my disappointment in the product received. If they do not seem "cheap" to you, that's fine. But there is no denying that they do not share the same quality in terms of aesthetics, durability, and feel (texture, weight, sound, experience) of Dwarvenite. As for how we choose to roll dice, the simplest solution is simply not to use the inferior (arguably) pieces in our settings and continue to play the way we like.
My DF Galleries -
3dDelve - https://ello.co/3ddelve
Imgur - Thanks zazulu! - http://imgur.com/a/ppUeP/layout/horizontal#0

iPaint
Orc
Orc

Post by iPaint » Wed May 31, 2017 12:37 pm

I've not noticed any "cheap" feeling to the plastic. Sure, it's light weight, but that doesn't equate it to "cheap" in my book. By that logic, any plastic terrain would be considered cheap, and manufacturers like Pegasus, Games-Workshop, DUST, Renedra, Mantic, Reaper, etc are making good quality plastic terrain these days (some more expensive than others....cough GW cough). "Cheap" I think is a disservice to the end product.

I think the rigidity of D-G is necessary for its intended purpose. Pieces that are required to stay straight and flat need the harder plastic to fulfill that requirement - I'd hate to see what castle walls would look like if they were regular Dwarvenite.

Have you thought about filling in the undersides of your plates with some form of flexible resin? It would add some heft and possible dampen the sound a bit. As for rolling dice - easily solved, don't do it. Not only will it chip your paint over time, but it's not a flat surface, and could easily knock over models or other bits of scenery, causing more clean up or more paint damage.

I'm trying to figure out what other material DF could have used that wouldn't have caused such a stir from people, while at the same time not causing some other issue that would have resulted in a similar reaction....

I think DF can be faulted for a few oversights in KS4 - mostly with piece sizing and some aesthetics that were changed for production and stability reasons - but the Gorgonite material I think is fine for its intended purpose. I doubt we'll see a ton of it in KS5 - it was mostly used to get the height and structural integrity needed for castles. the 2x2 footprint can be pretty much covered solely in Dwarvenite.

~iPaint