Question for the people that own castles.

lostpict
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Question for the people that own castles.

Post by lostpict » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:22 pm

bernyleung wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:04 pm
I don't think you really need to invest in lots to use Castles in a game. You can really get away with a small setup just to get the visual "feel" from the outside, and then just use regular game tiles for "inner" building adventuring...
I agree, I bought mine (RS + GC) and the about 2x Imperial cities for wargaming.

A gatehouse ir CBS based square tower with some castle foundation walls and crenellations are probably sufficient for most RPG scenes.
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

Pizzabagel
Orc
Orc

Post by Pizzabagel » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:33 pm

Thanks, I've pre-ordered a single watchtower to sort of try things out. I was debating investing in one of the big castle sets because I don't know when they will restock them again...

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:04 pm

I don't think you really need to invest in lots to use Castles in a game. You can really get away with a small setup just to get the visual "feel" from the outside, and then just use regular game tiles for "inner" building adventuring. I think that a Ramparts with Crenellations and a single Watchtower might be enough. Or, if you want a complete castle that you can rebuild into partial views of a large one, go for a Count's Castle; it can also probably be rebuilt as a temple/cathedral.

Pizzabagel
Orc
Orc

Post by Pizzabagel » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:28 pm

I am also considering whether to invest in the castle system. What challenges have people found, if any, using them to actually run in a game? The passageways look extremely narrow and cumbersome to remove the walls for access. My group often has to storm an enemy tower or small fortification, and I'd love to use dwarvenite.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:40 am

GODofwar wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:55 pm
I would say - Castles are not worth the money IF you only want a castle for its externals or scenery value.

The Chief Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, except KS5.
I don't necessarily agree with this as I essentially don't use the internals of my builds, but what I would say is if you just want a castle like structure for scenery IE some walls, a small gatehouse and simple towers then DF castles are not the way to go.

There are many other options for a simple castle, the old GW fortress, Epix Haven, Playmobile, MBA etc
and the advantage of these is you can build a castle really quick.

But what you lose is almost any flexibility (MBA has some great variety). You can use DF KSI (or KSV?) walls to support crenellations which will give you simple modular walls and towers - I think as I don't have any KSI so going by other members comments.

With DF castles you get so much more flexibility due to its highly modular nature, now the Dragon Lock system can give you this if you get the suitable .STL files and have access to a 3D printer. To be fair this system is only limited by the imagination of your 3D modeller.

If you have different types of castle you want to build then DF give you better options than any other I have come across. Their wall variations give an excellent example of this - single height, double height, triple height (and so on), double thick, double thick supporting single thick wall on top, battlements, crenellations, semi circular frontage, arrow slit walls, blank walls.

The amount of different tower combinations are just as varied 6", 4", 6" to 4", 4" to 6", battlements, crenellations, arrow slit walls, blank walls, arch window walls, 4" and 6" roofs and don't get me started on the bridges!

I have not talked about Square towers, SGs and assorted bling, roof platforms, Adv Builder sets etc.

I could not build what I have built with any other castle system unless it was a scratch build or had access to a 3D printer or a shed load of Hirst Arts molds.

I don't find building particularly tiresome, in fact I find it exciting as often I am not sure where I am going, but given the size and sheer number of pieces they can take time to build. The fiddliest bit for me was putting KS4 crenellations on suspended walkways. I had a few magnets come loose (I know some had a lot come loose). There are other issues highlighted elsewhere, pacman piece, internal round tower stairs etc.

If your thinking of buying into castles then my suggestion would be, think about what castles you would want to build and have a look at the builds that have been posted in the forums, Law has posted up a large variety of builds, certainly inspired me.

Oldent makes a good point about future support for castles based on current/previous DF stock events, such that I'd recommend you do not rely on DF stocking all castle items and you should try to get all you think you need in one hit.

For some background - I own GW fortress, Epix Haven, Playmobile castles/fortresses and a number of Hirst Arts molds. I have only looked at MBA castles and they do look good with some good variety. I have not done a scratch built castle (you should see Oldents Minas Tirith) unless you count the polystyrene and toothpick Motte and Bailey I did with my son for his History class.
I am the Game and I want to Play

period3
Orc
Orc

Post by period3 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:54 am

I like the castles when they're built, but the process of building them is fiddlier than I would have liked due to poor fit and weak magnets, and some parts that barely work (suspended parapets).

They do look pretty cool though, and mine are still unpainted.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:24 am

Luckily I think I have what I need of castles, though ther are some other KSIV stuff like possibly mountians I will get.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:18 am

I have more than a few castles. Some custom built others are limited production or long out of production.Some are wood others resin or expanded/extruded foam even hard plastic.The foam castles are by far the most practical some are even more detailed than DF. There is very little point in comparing LOP to products that are in production.However. DF already has a problem keeping the castle parts in stock.

I am not going to recommend the DF castle system because I do not think they will support it. If you want one preorder all you will ever need
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:51 am

I got a Castle and four extra modular walls so I got bvery little, but am happy with how much I have. I can build a decent sized castle in the corner of my gaming table and cover the rest with cities or such. Enough for me. I did not go in for castles though, and only have small round crennelations to \go with my KSI curved walls, which work very well as small towers.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:55 pm

I would say - Castles are not worth the money IF you only want a castle for its externals or scenery value.

My buy was very deliberately planned to go with Dungeons, Sewers and Caverns underneath, and at least 2 towers inside (square type) plus buildings along the walls - ie, a a complete normal medieval castle that's part of a town. I Pre=bought a boatload (144) of the 'narrow passage' castle wall units in KS3, so I can do a walled village and a town.

SO, obviously, I think that if you plan to play IN the castle, its worth it.

Yes, fiddly and does not stick together as well as it should - but that mostly affects building. Once in place it works fine to move things on. The towers are the most fiddly and unstable, but also the most impressive. See Rabbit's bulds!

I would buy again if I had a do-over. and get pretty much exactly what I got.

The Chief Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, except KS5.
WeaselWarGod