Question for the people that own castles.

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Question for the people that own castles.

Post by kodiakbear » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:51 pm

I did not game in castles much at all for my many years of playing D&D so I almost did not buy a single castle item in KS4. It was the video of the castle items being used as a boss lair that got me to do more than buy a bunch of mountain sets during KS4.

I will say that while DF did an excellent job of making a modular castles system the word tedious could be used to describe some aspects of that modular system.

I would say that if you game in castles you will find DF castles worth it.

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:29 pm

While I agree that I will not likely use them in game nearly as much as most other DF sets, still, the Castle stuff is GRAND and will be a truly epic once or twice a campaign build, or as backdrop...plus, my son LOVES them! :D

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:07 pm

I love the castles. The few imperfections in them are easily overlooked and, as we are still transitioning from mats and markers (some DMs are more resistant than others), they are no issue for us at all.

I am very happy with what I got (Grand Citadel and lots of add-ons). Unfortunately we have not had a reason to use them in a game yet. We had a castle intense adventure/campaign over the two years before delivery (so even before the kickstarter)... and the adventure we are in the midst of has not had call for one. Although we did spend one game session last month oohing and aahing and playing with them just so the various DMs (we take turns) could see and feel the pieces... I am confident they will be used in the upcoming months.

Magniopi
Orc
Orc

Post by Magniopi » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:54 am

kitenerd wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:35 pm
Castles are my least favorite - i went small (Watchtower and add ons) and really would have rather spent that money on more DoD. I find them fiddly and awkward. More diorama than play, and yeah... you need a lot of them. Somewhat the same can be said of City Builder, but $500 of that goes a LOT farther (plus street and sewers are awesome). The stuff LOOKS awesome, but i prefer the simpler sets.

I'm happy with what i got, but i am WAY more excited about DoD (even though i have a ton of KS1)
I agree with Kitenerd. I love Dwarven Forge and feel bad saying anything that even seems negative, but fiddly and awkward are exactly my thoughts. And it costs a ton to get those impressive builds. I picked up a Sorcerer's Sanctum and a Count's Castle, and I have some significant buyer's remorse over the cost vs. playability.

Overall, I like the towers better than the castle walls. But I recently picked up a couple of Epix Haven sets, and I'm likely going to end up using those more than the DF castle set. DF's modularity is great, and I'm super excited for my Dungeon of Doom items to arrive. For castles, though, the modularity just makes the upward builds take way longer and be much less stable--especially when trying to move levels to play inside.

MBCE
Orc
Orc

Post by MBCE » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:47 am

For me, I'd say the castles we a good investment. There are flaws, but the good out weighs the bad. I ordered the Grand citadel plus a lot of extra add-ons to help flesh things out. I have yet to do a girly epic build, but I'm sure it will be impressive.

One thing I'm pretty sure about is that I missed out on some pieces. Once I make my build, I'll know what I need to order from the store. Already I know the pieces work well with the previous systems so I'm happy. If they you're really in doubt, buy a few pieces and see what you think before investing in the Royal Stronghold.

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:49 pm

One thing I'd like to say about Castle layouts is that even with an expanded build out to 4 feet on a side (including outside measurement of towers), I think that the normal height wall (4") with battlements/crenellations on top looks fine. I was wondering whether the proportion would be off and the build would require double-height walls, but I don't think so. A regular single-height wall lets me get into the inner courtyard buildings easily without feeling like I'm reaching into a well. I did go double-wide on the walls, though, so it helps with the proportion.

It's just as well, because if I tried to buy enough Dwarvenite to make the whole thing double-height for walls, I think I'd need a second mortgage on the house.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:52 pm

For me Castles are the best thing DF have done :)

I first discovered DF with KSIII CBS which I thought was absolutely amazing, but Castles are something that really inspires me. My pledge for castles was more than what I pledged for CBS and DoD combined.

But the problem with Cities and Castles is that they are big in RL so to capture the feel of one in Dwarvenite you need a lot.
There are also some flaws, most of which I can easily overlook as I don't use the internals of my castles. But cannot deny their existence, but DF are working on them.

The biggest problems I have is storing it and finding the time to use it, as its bigger in all directions than a dungeon, a castle takes some time building, but damn if it doesn't look impressive.

So for me Castles were worth it and more, but I appreciate I am biased ;)

I don't think you'd be disappointed with a Royal Stronghold, I did not get one so cannot say with any knowledge if there are any particular issues with that build.
But like all things DF as soon as you have built it you will wish you had more :D

I hope they add more to both Castles and CBS in future Kickstarters to add more flavor and more ruins!
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

lostpict
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by lostpict » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:23 pm

I really like the castles and bought the painted Royal Stronghold and a painted Grand Citadel. These are really entry level purchases for a castle and represent a considerable cash outlay. The shortcomings of the design and execution in my case created a bit of disappointment commensurate with the size of the investment, BUT DF is working to resolve the issues and hopefully with the changes the Castles were reach the level of the vision.
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:35 pm

Castles are my least favorite - i went small (Watchtower and add ons) and really would have rather spent that money on more DoD. I find them fiddly and awkward. More diorama than play, and yeah... you need a lot of them. Somewhat the same can be said of City Builder, but $500 of that goes a LOT farther (plus street and sewers are awesome). The stuff LOOKS awesome, but i prefer the simpler sets.

I'm happy with what i got, but i am WAY more excited about DoD (even though i have a ton of KS1)
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:38 pm

Castles are *really* interesting. I just posted a bunch of pictures in the Castle Builds thread, so you can take a look at what I did there. Yes, there were a few glitches, but for me not enough to detract from the whole thing.

The Royal Stronghold is a fun package. HOWEVER when you get and assemble it you might still find it (dare I say) a little small if you want to have buildings in your courtyard. So be prepared to consider buying lots of additional long walls (with their battlements or crenellations) to expand them.