painting moss

Rhizom
Orc
Orc

Re: painting moss

Post by Rhizom » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:16 pm

I must say, I have lots of KS3 crenellations in factory paint, always the same moss spots, and though I totally understand the fear that it could get too repetitive, I actually do not ever have that feeling in my builds. Not sure whether this is just because I have so much theater of the mind projected onto my tiles, making them more real than they really are, or if it really doesn't look too repetitive.

zenako
Orc
Orc

Post by zenako » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:48 am

I ended up getting an unpainted set of crenelations a while back (the painted was out of stock) and ran into the same repeating N times issue and just started to vary which moss features I actually highlighted and ignored. That alone provides some good variety and frankly I would guess that none of the players in most games will even notice that change. Only the painter themselves tend to stress about things looking all the same too much.

period3
Orc
Orc

Post by period3 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:06 am

Thanks for the ideas. I will try varying the colours a bit and see what it looks like.

Alphyns
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Alphyns » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:17 am

As you work on the moss you'll also find that you can break up the patterns a bit by reshaping the moss patches a bit. Some of them have thin areas that you can sometimes leave as stone -- so some pieces will have two moss patches others one big one. Other patches actually paint as stone pretty well and are in less prominent locations -- so you can ignore them altogether.

Changing colors helps a lot too.

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:51 am

Yep, not all moss is green. I plan to paint only a portion of it so.

glynnsmith
Goblin
Goblin

Post by glynnsmith » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:47 pm

I used the combo on the tutorial as oddbender mentioned. I broke it up by not painting all the moss the same way. Some I would heavily drybrush while others very lightly. I would also leave some of the moss grey or only paint a portion of it. Some of the battlements had quite a bit of moss.

zenako
Orc
Orc

Post by zenako » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:51 am

You could also paint some of the moss with other shades or even colors. Could consider brown for dead moss even. I agree you run the risk of things looking very repetitive if every patch of moss is painted the same way.

oddbender
Orc
Orc

Post by oddbender » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:01 am

I got my castle pre-painted, but I did paint some city roofs. I used Pokorny Shallow Water Seaweed Green as a base and Pokorny Moss Green drybrush. You may consider painting some spots that are not moss with green to break up the repetition. Check out the castle painting tutorials: https://dwarvenforge.com/wp-content/upl ... ements.pdf

Another thought, ever see the white marks/streaks on stone, I believe it's called efflorescence. As an alternative you could paint some of the moss like that. Maybe even add some to places where there is no moss, again to break up the repetition. I haven't tried this, but I bet you could try a light gray and/or white drybrush over the base gray.

period3
Orc
Orc

painting moss

Post by period3 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:20 am

For those that painted their own castles, how did you do the moss? Did you paint all of it? It looks like it might get repetitive since all the moss has exactly the same pattern (at least, on the KS4-style crenellations, which is all I have). What colors did you use?

I don't want to overthink something as simple as this, I'm just curious what others have done. I'm excited to be painting something that isn't base grey, earth stone, or cardboard for a change :)