Pacarat’s test castle paint scheme

pacarat
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Pacarat’s test castle paint scheme

Post by pacarat » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:21 pm

Looking at a lighter scheme for my KS4 castle paint...

Drybrushing the hard plastic is...interesting.

Test case follows.THD on washes, grime, weathering, etc. I need to get a wider section done, and a tower to see how round and dwarvenite looks in this scheme.

Before dry brushing:

After dry brushing:

Using a base coat of vallejo grey surface primer, which doubles as a whitish mortar:

And the pallet:

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Pacarat’s test castle paint scheme

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:25 pm

The color looks like it's been weathered; pale and imposing.

Might I suggest a little rust/water discoloration, moss, etc. as accents? (Random pictures from Google Images below)

101 Resin and 293 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:44 pm

Looks great, I like that faded look. It will have a distinct look once built, different from the stone CBS that you have done. My "castles" will always look like my CBS and dungeons. They will also be built with those pieces too. Castles some day - but probably not, I really just want the drawbridge/gate building from the castle line.

How did you paint the grout? Cover and wipe off excess or just follow the lines... ;)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

pacarat
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by pacarat » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:18 pm

Yeah, been delaying and delaying this decision since I received my KS4 sets. Do I or don’t I match my dungeons (with a darker grey) palette?

Going this route because 98% of the castle pics I see and have d/l for reference are similar to what AnimeSensei posted above. I think I will have enough stuff to handle two schemas...

I think this lighter palette will show and photograph better. I can always go with my horde of resin catacombs if I want the grim dark...

I’m using the grey surface primer as a basecoat, which is doubling as the mortar. Have tried a paint pen - 1mm was too wide, 0.7mm is good, but tedious. TBD on how much stuff I go back and retrofit grout-wise. Going through my dungeon and CBS, was surprised at how much CBS I had upgraded to a lighter multicolor scheme.

realarete
Ogre
Ogre

Post by realarete » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:08 pm

Looking great! I have very limited castle stuff bought un painted ( crenellations which my actually be city stuff idk ... and buttresses) which I painted to go with dungeons. So a bit darker. Your 'weathering' is looking great.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:36 pm

I forgot to add that it looks good, I should be careful not to be a jerk. :P haha
101 Resin and 293 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

pacarat
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by pacarat » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:43 pm

AnimeSensei wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:36 pm I forgot to add that it looks good, I should be careful not to be a jerk. :P haha
:)

Didn’t take anything you said as negative... no worries.

pacarat
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by pacarat » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:47 pm

realarete wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:08 pm Looking great! I have very limited castle stuff bought un painted ( crenellations which my actually be city stuff idk ... and buttresses) which I painted to go with dungeons. So a bit darker. Your 'weathering' is looking great.
Thanks. But now that you mentioned crenellations... I’m thinking most of the ones I already have, have been painted dark... good thing I ordered a big bottle of surface primer this morning.

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:37 pm

For mortar I always went darker than the basecoat, so I could just do a dark wash.

pacarat
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by pacarat » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:49 pm

bernyleung wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:37 pm For mortar I always went darker than the basecoat, so I could just do a dark wash.
My mortar for dungeons is the lazy man’s color - whatever the base coat I used on the half dozen versions I’ve done... as well as the native dwarvenite material color. So I’m about as consistent as was found “locally” (fantasy or IRL....) :shock:

I want to use my castles for historical skirmish gaming (southern Europe and the Crusades), and the lighter stonework and mortar fit the bill.

Return to “Post-Campaign Topics”