Star Fort

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Star Fort

Post by Vegomatic » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:07 am

A while back I saw some discussion about the difficulties of creating a star fort with the Castle Builder System... I had a couple of ideas come to mind and decided to try my hand at it one evening a couple of weeks ago... I took a few pics of what I built.

I took into consideration the beveled corners, and flat edges of the corner walls... here is an overhead of my construction. The table in my hobby room is only 2.5 feet wide so I only had room (and, truth be told, enough castle wall pieces) to build half of the fort... oh, and there is no provision for a gate in this half.
01Overhead.jpg
01Overhead.jpg (81.71 KiB) Viewed 289 times
Here is a view of a normal castle corner... a square tower is on either end. Using the City Builder Battlements (crenellations) and the Castles High Crenellated Corners.
02LongSide.jpg
02LongSide.jpg (57.37 KiB) Viewed 289 times
And here we are looking at a square tower with a castle corner on either end.
03TowerCorner.jpg
03TowerCorner.jpg (67.84 KiB) Viewed 289 times
And one more shot showing the connection of the tower to the main wall. A couple of things worth noting... 1) The castle arrow slit wall in the center of the picture is a beveled wall with its flat side snug between the arrow slits of the square tower wall (you can almost see it in the picture) and the beveled end against the main castle wall - a nice 45 degree fit. 2) I used a 45 degree dungeon wall (from the Narrow Passages set) to fill in the gap at the top of the wall between the crenellations. This will be more obvious in the next pics.
04ArrowSlitWall.jpg
04ArrowSlitWall.jpg (71.4 KiB) Viewed 289 times
I tried a couple of different configurations for the crenellations and floors... The floor for the space between the tower and the main castle wall had to be piecemealed together... You can clearly see the 45 degree dungeon walls on either side. The floor support will be shown in a later picture... these are 2 KS3 (City Builder) battlement walls, 2 1x2 floor floors, a 1x1 floor and 2 of the 45 degree dungeon walls.
05Floor.jpg
05Floor.jpg (96.68 KiB) Viewed 289 times
Here is the other floor... notice that the main castle wall is using a long floor platform and the crenellations extend all the way across the prior one I left it open making the space a little more playable. This one used 2 City Builder Battlements, 2 45 degree dungeon walls, a diagonal half floor and a 1x1 floor. The support was done differently here (just experimenting) and an image of it will be coming up.
06OtherFloor.jpg
06OtherFloor.jpg (107.44 KiB) Viewed 289 times
This next image has all the wall crenellations and floors removed, revealing the support structures underneath... This is only two options... and they can be combined or completely thrown out... as there are many ways to do it. These were the two that came to mind when I was playing.
07OverheadNoCren7.jpg
07OverheadNoCren7.jpg (84.29 KiB) Viewed 289 times
From the image above, this image is the tower on the left side before removing the crenellations. Note the dungeon wall standing on its side to support the floors above.
08FloorSupport.jpg
08FloorSupport.jpg (72.68 KiB) Viewed 289 times
And this is an image of the the same assembly as above showing the structure underneath... Two Cube Spacers with an inverted diagonal dungeon wall placed against the Wall Spacer. It really fit quite nicely making an excellent floor. From this angle you can kinda see the arrow slit wall on the tower and how the castle wall butts up against it.
09AssemblyImage.jpg
09AssemblyImage.jpg (85.93 KiB) Viewed 289 times
And this is the other tower... it was done hastily and really do not like the way it turned out. I used a wall spacer to support the upper floor... while it held the floors well the space is not usable. I also did an alternate lower floor build. The other is much nicer and tighter.
10OtherAssmbly.jpg
10OtherAssmbly.jpg (77.9 KiB) Viewed 289 times
In the first image there was a long wall sitting in the middle... I actually started with a fort using long walls and adding the square towers as I did here, but decided I wanted to try to make the space more playable... I may not have succeeded, but it was a fun exercise.

So there you have it... half a star fort.

Any feedback? Thanks!

zenako
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Star Fort

Post by zenako » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:42 am

Interesting exercise. I have been thinking I need to reorganize my castle tiles and I might use that opportunity to see what might be possible. You have given me a few ideas to work with. One thing that might work is using round towers at each junction so you eliminate some of the matching of angles problem. I did a slight bend with my Iron Keep build. Gives me something to think about once I clear my game table of a few things.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Star Fort

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:09 am

Cracking work Veg :)

Using the tapered corner walls - so simple its genius :D

Of course the rest of the build requires some thought and experimentation and maybe a few judicious mods.

Much creative food for thought .................
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Return to “Post-Campaign Topics”