New Castle Builds in Webstore

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: New Castle Builds in Webstore

Post by GODofwar » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:23 pm

I think I must be crazy. Here's my laydown:

Sample the Build-A-Castle (BAC) using the Long Walls set as an example.

BAC Long Walls (LW): Inside LW x 1 / OUtside LW&buillt in spacer x 1 / Platform x 1 = $88 painted

Buying pieces separately in the store (assuming stock exists which it da'ent)
Painted
LW Inside- $44 for 2 or 1 LW = $22 each
LW OUtside (built in spacer and platform) - $64/2 = $32 each
......to buy equivalent to BAC set: $54 set
..........EXCEPT this does not include 6 Rampart/Crenellated...and the cheapest deal I can find in the store is about $5 each for these, and you have to buy as et with a couple of items you don't need (cauldrons)....and some corners. That means buying separately increases to 6 x $5 ea = $30
...........................Final price to buy BAC wall separately.......$84
So the BAC set is $4 more than the seapate buy...ignoring stock outages etc.

Now...assume I have UP pieces equivalent to the BAC set (I do, of course, Minor Whale though I am - certainly nothing to compare to Brer Rabbit!). If I can resell my pieces for store prices, they are worth, UP:
LW Inside- $45for 2 or 1 LW = $17.50 each
LW OUtside (built in spacer and platform) - $64/2 = $34 each
TOTAL .......................................$51.50
.........which means I end up $47.50 'ahead' (ie, I still have the same pieces, and I have got my previous investment back, so I'm $47.50 ahead of where I would be just buying the BAC set.

If this is true throughout the BAC system, then IFF I can sell all the equivalent UP pieces I buy on BAC, I will have enough left to buy another small KS.....

Someone please tell me if I'm just bad at math or misisng the obvious.

Oh...and if Animei Sensei is right, and pieces just don't come on the market, I might even come out ahead.

The Chief Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, including KS7
WeaselWarGod

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:45 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:38 pm
I think we don't see it for sale that often because unlike other types of sets, you have to have some of everything to make a build work. You can't sell your inside corners or else the walls won't have anything to stick to. You can't sell your crenulations or you just have a wall and no castle.

With dungeons, I'd you don't like your diagonal walls you can sell them. Same goes for most other pieces. You only need 3 pieces, being floors, walls, and corners.

With castles, you need some of everything to have it work. So you either keep all of it or you sell ALL of it.

🤷‍♂️
Makes sense, Animei.

But we don;t see any sets for sale either.

Totus KS Delenda Sunt, including KS7
WeaselWarGod

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:38 pm

I think we don't see it for sale that often because unlike other types of sets, you have to have some of everything to make a build work. You can't sell your inside corners or else the walls won't have anything to stick to. You can't sell your crenulations or you just have a wall and no castle.

With dungeons, If you don't like your diagonal walls you can sell them. Same goes for most other pieces. You only need 3 pieces, being floors, walls, and corners.

With castles, you need some of everything to have it work. So you either keep all of it or you sell ALL of it.

🤷‍♂️
Last edited by AnimeSensei on Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
102 Resin and 232 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:13 pm

Has anyone seen any KS4 for sale anywhere? I can't find any to get price comps.

Totus KS Delenda Sunt, including the next one
WeaselWarGod

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:46 am

GODofwar wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:02 am
So, before I do it, has anyone figured out:

...the price differential from KS prices to current prices for the Build-a-Castle?

I'm thinking of selling my UP Castles on Ebay and buying the BaC instead.

I don't suppose I'd get replacement parts?

The Chief Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant
Totus KS Delenda Sunt
The note regarding the replacement parts is only in the description of the painted sets.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:23 am

I do not think unpainted has replacements. In that case the bad painting is not DF's fault. ;)

I would like to blame someone for some of my bad painting though. A certain Count Strahd comes immediately to mind.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:02 am

So, before I do it, has anyone figured out:

...the price differential from KS prices to current prices for the Build-a-Castle?

I'm thinking of selling my UP Castles on Ebay and buying the BaC instead.

I don't suppose I'd get replacement parts?

Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Fri May 31, 2019 11:55 pm

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 4:07 am
Does this mean existing owners of mismatched rampart crenellation and 4X curved battlements - which we think is everyone who bought them prior to this week get free replacements ?

Because that will be a lot of replacements!

We got .... well a lot of battlements and crenellations, not entirely sure we could store all the replacements, round battlements are a pain to store. We predict a glut of old battlements and crenellations on ebay ;)
Oh, for hevvins sake...listen, just tell DwF to ship the extras to me and save the shipping and VAT!!!

Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Fri May 31, 2019 11:49 pm

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 4:28 am
In KS4 we knew the build we wanted and acheived, but reconfiguring into alternative builds is always a challenge, fortunately we have not been stymied too much, but we did go deep during the KS.

NSS! Your castle build left me numb. All that time underground must stimulate busy little lagomorph brains...

Like MBCE says until you get them in your paws its difficult to see the alternative builds, but with the new 'Construct-a-Castle' sets its easy to see what you can do out of the box. For alternative style builds you need to work out what it is and what parts you need ontop of what is provided.

Yah. This is fab for newbies and good for aged Trogs.

Building freehand/off-the-cuff can be a blast though and Wall spacers and cube spacers can cover up a multitude of deficiencies - ooh look what I built :)

Not enough to cover mine...

Our take on the prices are in agreement with MBCE :)
So, what a 8% price raise for the painted sets??

Agree on CBS (single sided) crenellations being more useful that the Castle ones (doublesided) unless you see some of Laws early castle builds and you see that they are a must for bridges/flying walkways!
I like them both, but thank the Snaky One I got a BOATLOAD of KS 3 crenellations...

If we didn't already have our Castles then these would have us salivating all the way to checkout and beyond. As it is we are just salivating .......

Oh, stop, Rabbit. For one thing most Trogs of a certain seniority saw your castle build!! For another...the thought of all that lagomorph saliva makes one...queasy....

Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod

period3
Orc
Orc

Post by period3 » Fri May 31, 2019 7:55 pm

Yes, don't forget to add those too.

But the floors are pretty important. The gatehouse has to be up on its trapdoor floor, or the crenellations won't align with the walls. And as soon as you mount it on its trapdoor floor, then you end up with an awkward step up to the gatehouse and an awkward step down into the floorless 'courtyard'.

dice4hire wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 3:42 pm
Hmm yes, interior floors, good point!!!

No mystical city around it either

No dreadful dungeon below it either

no caverns deep below it either

none of Erin's mountains off in the distance either

ok I'll stop now.

Return to “Post-Campaign Topics”