New Castle Builds in Webstore

MBCE
Orc
Orc

Re: New Castle Builds in Webstore

Post by MBCE » Wed May 29, 2019 9:57 pm

Here's my thoughts on the new configurations.

I bought heavy into the Castle system. There were a lot of gaps in my purchases that I didn't notice until I had the actual pieces in hand. Sometimes, you can't imagine what you truly want until you have something to play with! I tried to fill in those gaps as best as I could, but the add-on packs within the store simply made more holes.

Now this new configuration for castles I think are great for newcomers. They can easily see what they want and buy exactly the right number of sets that are needed.

However, once they get the pieces in hand and they have time to play with things, most people will start to realize just how many gaps are left open. Let me be clear, if you want to make a set castle, out of the box, then buying the various packs will work wonders. If you want to buy the castle of your dream, then you'll find that getting the pieces needed is going to take some work.

For example, let's examine one of the builds, the Inline Tower. It gets you basically three straight wall sections, and a 3 level small tower. Of course, crenelations all around. The problem comes in when you want to build that tower away from the wall. You can only build a 2 level complete small tower. Or if you want to move that tower to the end of your wall, you'll find that the inside walls can't complete the seamless look. You'll need cube spacers or wall spacers to make up the width.

It's not a perfect system but it is very good for newcomers. It's a great way to configure the complex castle system into more bite-sized chunks. Unfortunately, for people like me who have a lot of castle system already, it doesn't fix the problems I already have.
FadeXIII wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 6:23 pm
Love the murder hole floors. Are those new?
No they are not. They were offered in the drawbridge pack, both manual and motorized.
dice4hire wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 5:46 pm
The prices seem to be a bit high to me. Or at least higher than I was expecting.
I took a look at the long wall unpainted prices and it seems to be about right. The old add on sets offered 2 long walls. So taking half the pricing, they come out about the same. Half of the old sets would end up costing about $9 more than the new long wall set.

I noitced that none of these new sets offer cauldrons to the builds.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Wed May 29, 2019 9:50 pm

Great new sets for sale, if you want the whole "Castle" shebang. Wonder if they might break down some of these larger sets into smaller sub-sets in the future. They could break out the 3 or 4 Castle Corner's (or a few other sets) Wall Parts into a smaller pack to then add to the (new/future) smaller corner sets (or not if desired). But then, some thought would be required by the buyer at purchase ;).
The only pack right now, I would want is the Barbican Gatehouse. Then again, just the bridge and gate without the rest would be a nice set. I'm trying to KEEP it small, so that B. Gatehouse is a bit overkill for my modest plan. :?
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Wed May 29, 2019 9:42 pm

The unpainted watch towers are still there as well as on the new Introductory Sets page. Perhaps they are sold out.

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Wed May 29, 2019 9:00 pm

How the KS should have been set up from the get go... would have been a whole lot easier to deal with.

period3
Orc
Orc

Post by period3 » Wed May 29, 2019 8:05 pm

Interesting to compare to CD which was also a very expensive ks. For about $1.2k, you get a 4 sq ft encounter (unpainted) via the grand citadel. Dreadhollow, for comparison, was about 900 for 3 sq ft. So really it's about the same price as CD. Castles do build up though and can be embellished in so many ways that you could probably triple that price without increasing footprint.

I think these new sets are good for newcomers. It would have been nice to offer the ks3 style crenellations though, as they are much more versatile than the double sided ks4 ones.

hunter_something wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 7:48 pm
The composition of the new castle sets seem great, but the prices are higher than I expected. I think this is a sign that I'd best to stick to DoD, CD, and CBS.

hunter_something
Orc
Orc

Post by hunter_something » Wed May 29, 2019 7:48 pm

The composition of the new castle sets seem great, but the prices are higher than I expected. I think this is a sign that I'd best to stick to DoD, CD, and CBS.

Calsial
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Calsial » Wed May 29, 2019 7:40 pm

Really liking these new options as I have next to no Castle Builder. Eyeing that barbican gatehouse as it certainly looks great.

I'm hopeful it is just an accident and not intentional that the painted watchtower set seemed to have disappeared with the release of these new sets.

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Wed May 29, 2019 6:57 pm

dice4hire wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 5:46 pm
<snip>

The bit about how the sets will include a replacement set for miscolored pieces is interesting. Any clarification from DF? I guess that was why the sets did not come out in December of 2018. I wonder how many bonus pieces that will mean for each set?

The prices seem to be a bit high to me. Or at least higher than I was expecting.

Any other observations?
Yes, in looking at the prices, I felt like I got a great deal on the KS (true for each KS, although perhaps slightly less so for 5 & 6).

I wonder what they mean by replacement pieces? Is this a new problem introduced with these sets (hence the delays), or a recognition of the mismatch between tower crenelations and tower floors (etc.) that we all experienced in the KS sets?

FadeXIII
Goblin
Goblin

Post by FadeXIII » Wed May 29, 2019 6:23 pm

Impressed by how all the city builder stuff has been implemented.

Love the murder hole floors. Are those new?

Gonna pick up a couple of sets for sure. At the moment having issues with ups iparcel but support are looking into it

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

New Castle Builds in Webstore

Post by dice4hire » Wed May 29, 2019 5:46 pm

I got the email a bit ago about the new construct a castle build pieces and took a look, not done though. Hasve not looked at the videos yet either.

First impressions

Really good pics of the full sets and the pieces are well listed inside. Leaves nothing to be confused about.

The sets do seem to be very interchangeable.

The bit about how the sets will include a replacement set for miscolored pieces is interesting. Any clarification from DF? I guess that was why the sets did not come out in December of 2018. I wonder how many bonus pieces that will mean for each set?

Any other observations?
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Return to “Post-Campaign Topics”